Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How much are you liking BOBF? Scale is 1-Garbage to 10-Perfection”

• 1: Worst thing ever created 2 votes
      1%
    • 2: Jar Jar 6 votes
      4%
    • 3: Poor 14 votes
      9%
    • 4: DESW 1 vote
      1%
    • 5: Meh 25 votes
      17%
    • 6: Better than Meh 25 votes
      17%
    • 7: Good 42 votes
      28%
    • 8: Grogu 15 votes
      10%
    • 9: Ashoka Tano 12 votes
      8%
    • 10: Perfection 9 votes
      6%

(151 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E742DA8D-569C-4AA1-B938-020931548460 (resized).jpeg
    2022-02-25_14-29-19 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    larry_david (resized).jpg
    3fbd63ebd54e507d (resized).jpg
    22BA15BD-5E1E-40E0-A39C-11BB74ADCB56 (resized).jpeg
    B-arthur-ROTJ (resized).jpg
    KK-hut (resized).png
    hulk-smash (resized).jpg
    Boba and Mando.gif
    The-Book-of-Boba-Fett_poster (resized).jpg
    20220209_142113 (resized).jpg
    20220209_142158 (resized).jpg
    F6C6A748-EE7B-443E-93C4-AC296D353495 (resized).jpeg

There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 2 years ago

No spoilers here, but my first thought is…. I waited almost 40 years to find out how he got out of the sarlacc, and that’s all I get?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

No spoilers here, but my first thought is…. I waited almost 40 years to find out how he got out of the sarlacc, and that’s all I get?

What did you want? I thought it was good in regards to him getting out

#3 2 years ago

Loved it, if it ends up being half as good as The Mandalorian, I’ll be happy SW fan

#4 2 years ago

Like Mando it “felt” like Star Wars which is something the sequel trilogy completely lacked. Enjoy the episode and I think the series is only going to get better as it sheds the need for flashbacks and moves forward.

#5 2 years ago

Entertaining, but only the first episode, so we’ll see where it goes. The biggest hurdle is turning a bad guy into something other than what he’s known for from the past. All the SW nods are fun for us fans. Seeing the goons riding off on speeder bikes, after pillaging was one of those nods to an exciting moment of SW speeder bike racing through the forest.

#6 2 years ago

Thought it was a good start! Just letting us see a bit of what happened until now. Mando set a really high bar but I thought it was solid. I'm a big SW nerd though so I'm biase

#7 2 years ago

I liked it, wife liked it, 5, 8, and 10 year old sons liked it. I think we have another winner on our hands!

I am a fan of the director/producer (Jon Favreau). He has directed/produced/been heavily involved in (among other things):

Elf
    Ironman
    Ironman2
    Mandalorian TV Series
    Book of Bobba Fett
    Avengers Infinity War
    Avengers Endgame

If you don't know who he is and you saw the most recent Spiderman Movies, he is he actor that plays "Happy Hogan"... the member of Shield crushing on Peter Parker's Aunt.

#8 2 years ago

I enjoyed it. A whole lot of fan service and callbacks to the original movie crammed into that one episode.

I agree that it (and Mandolorian) felt a lot more like classic star wars in a way none of the prequels / sequels have.

I thought they did a good job of fleshing out some characters / species that seemed more like set dressing in the original series, the sand people (in particular)

One thought I had while watching was that the sand people lizard dog" moved a bit like a boston dynamics 4 legged robot and I was thinking that dressing one of those up in skins would be a pretty cool way to create a creature rather than puppets or CGI. And I totally missed the small pack of actual robot dogs (no doubt actual boston dynamic robots) in there!

#9 2 years ago

I dunno, I thought it looked kinda cheap and small, visually. And in terms of fight scenes, it was very stiff. It did not feel cinematic like Mando did.

#10 2 years ago

Have yet to watch, but it is certainly on our watch list for the immediate future.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

What did you want? I thought it was good in regards to him getting out

Just more I guess. More struggle. Seemed a little “easy”.

I’m glad everyone liked it. I don’t think he’s the best actor but it was a good episode and I’m looking forward to more.

#12 2 years ago

Boba Fett had some BRIGHT teeth in those desert scenes...

#13 2 years ago

I enjoyed it but I wasn't exactly blown away by it, to be honest. I have faith in where it's going, though, mainly because of Favreau and Filoni.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Hahahah

Good eye! I’m a dentist and absolutely notice his very bright veneers up front.

#15 2 years ago

White teeth is the new Laura Dern purple hair!

Decent start. He did get out of there pretty quick though

#16 2 years ago

My wife and I just watched it. As a lifelong SW fan, it pains me to say I think this one is a dog. We were so bored and found even the fight sequences a drag. Of course, we had just watched the last episode of The Witcher, which was epic, so perhaps it was a bit unfair. But I really think Disney has pushed the SW franchise too far with this one (and Solo). It just seems like a reach at this point. Everybody gets a spinoff!

#17 2 years ago

good episode 1. the jawas are cool as always.

#18 2 years ago

Though it was a bit boring, but still early only the first episode

#19 2 years ago

Meh - it has the look of Star Wars, but not the feel. No heart or soul.

He doesn't act like Boba Fett, and what's with the helmet coming off all the time?

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

That was distracting - couldn't figure out if it was fake teeth, or if it was because his face looked so nasty.

#21 2 years ago

I got tired of Boba Fett getting his ass kicked all the time, and the lizard dog needed better cgi moved like the terror dog from the first Ghostbuster movie. Other than that it was good

#22 2 years ago

I thought it was ok so far. It basically seemed like a warm-up pitch that set the stage for future plot lines.

Quoted from mzhulk:

I got tired of Boba Fett getting his ass kicked all the time

Yeah, I have to agree there. This version of Boba Fett keeps getting the stuffing knocked out of him.

Boba Fett is/was cool because he looks like he can handle anything that comes his way without breaking a sweat. He's the one bounty hunter that Darth Vader himself basically said to take things down a notch. I want to see *that* Boba Fett.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

My wife and I just watched it. As a lifelong SW fan, it pains me to say I think this one is a dog. We were so bored and found even the fight sequences a drag. Of course, we had just watched the last episode of The Witcher, which was epic, so perhaps it was a bit unfair. But I really think Disney has pushed the SW franchise too far with this one (and Solo). It just seems like a reach at this point. Everybody gets a spinoff!

Very much agree here, was excited to be back in the Star Wars era of my youth, and get some fleshed out back story.
    I was bored watching this. Seems as though it will improve some, and that Jennifer Beals is sexy!
    Most of my problem though is Boba Fett. He was mysterious, slender build, and had a tough guy voice. Temeura seems like a great guy, but the "Aussie" accent, dad bod and helmet off constantly just doesn't feel right.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Temeura seems like a great guy, but the "Aussie" accent, dad bod and helmet off constantly just doesn't feel right.

rotordave will be upset

#25 2 years ago

Well it seemed he got out of the Sarlac "too easy" but his body paid the price.

Quoted from Flowst:

...and helmet off constantly....

Uff that's what was the lame part aboot Mando too.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I dunno, I thought it looked kinda cheap and small, visually. And in terms of fight scenes, it was very stiff. It did not feel cinematic like Mando did.

Robert Rodriguez directed that episode. He's known for cheap, so that's not a surprise. He also did probably the crappiest episode of the Mandalorian where they were running up and down the same hill.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Robert Rodriguez directed that episode. He's known for cheap, so that's not a surprise. He also did probably the crappiest episode of the Mandalorian where they were running up and down the same hill.

Exactly I cut it some slack because it was Rodriguez in the directing chair and I also remembered his episode of Mando being the worst from a directorial point of view.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Exactly I cut it some slack because it was Rodriguez in the directing chair and I also remembered his episode of Mando being the worst from a directorial point of view.

Haha. Great minds think alike. I'm really not a fan of his directorial aesthetic which reads cheap. Lots of re-used shots and boring setups visually.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Very much agree here, was excited to be back in the Star Wars era of my youth, and get some fleshed out back story.
    I was bored watching this. Seems as though it will improve some, and that Jenniferr Beals is sexy!
    Most of my problem though is Boba Fett. He was mysterious, slender build, and had a tough guy voice. Temeura seems like a great guy, but the "Aussie" accent, dad bod and helmet off constantly just doesn't feel right.

New Zealand accent, unless you are poking fun at Australians, in which case you would be better off to say it was a Tasmanian accent.

I agree with all the comments, particularly the stiff fight scene. My son and I felt Temuera seemed a little weak in the acting chops. I look forwards to some more episodes where Rodriguez is not directing. I always want to like his directing but something always seems to be missing from the final product. Hopefully the musical theme grows on me as well.

#30 2 years ago

That was one rough day for boba lol no spoilers then you mention sarlac I thought it was perfect!! Visual storytelling at its finest im just pissed that I need to wait to see another episode.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought it was ok so far. It basically seemed like a warm-up pitch that set the stage for future plot lines.

Yeah, I have to agree there. This version of Boba Fett keeps getting the stuffing knocked out of him.
    Boba Fett is/was cool because he looks like he can handle anything that comes his way without breaking a sweat. He's the one bounty hunter that Darth Vader himself basically said to take things down a notch. I want to see *that* Boba Fett.

Like I said - he doesn't act like Boba Fett. Plus he's about 30 pounds too heavy.

But the worst part of the series is the Fennec Shand character. Dialog and presence would fit in the MCU, not Star Wars.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

But the worst part of the series is the Fennec Shand character. Dialog and presence would fit in the MCU, not Star Wars.

Well, she was in the MCU....Agents of Shield.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #33 2 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

The Sarlaac creature was fatally wounded after Jabba's barge crashed into it. So Boba was then at that point escaping a dead Sarlaac.

#34 2 years ago

I think this show is on to an excellent start. Strong character (obviously), excellent scenography, great story appetizer, and who didn't want to know what happened to Bobba Fett in the Sarlac pit ?

Thanks once again to Jon Favreau there is some hope in the Disney era

#35 2 years ago

Really enjoyed the 1st episode,.. made me wonder if Tusken raiders ever take their mask off,.. ever!!
    Good to see Temuera Morrison bringing in some attitude that you may just have to be a New Zealander to appreciate.

Btw, if you are concerned about his acting chops and ability to bring aggression,.. watch the movie Once Were Warriors.
    Bring it on,.. Boba the Muss

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrWol64:

Really enjoyed the 1st episode,.. made me wonder if Tusken raiders ever take their mask off,.. ever!!
    Good to see Temuera Morrison bringing in some attitude that you may just have to be a New Zealander to appreciate.
    Btw, if you are concerned about his acting chops and ability to bring aggression,.. watch the movie Once Were Warriors.
    Bring it on,.. Boba the Muss

That's the other rub. The Raiders were always ruthless as hell, now their respect can be earned it seems. Even Lucas still has them as bad assets in the prequels.

No storytelling, just dialog than Kung fu fight scene, witty dialog than Kung fu fight scene. It is the MCU.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

The Sarlaac creature was fatally wounded after Jabba's barge crashed into it. So Boba was then at that point escaping a dead Sarlaac.

That makes some sense. Good thought.

#38 2 years ago

Man ep 1 ->2 is a week and a half wait? blah, so Wednesday the 5th at ~"midnight" or thurdsay we get the new episode!

#39 2 years ago

Also not sure this particular actor is right for the role. I think Timothy Olyphant would have been better cast as Boba Fett instead of Cobb Vanth. Maybe though Cobb Vanth shows up in the Boba Fett series who knows? Check him out as the Hitman. Maybe Book of Cobb Vanth is in the works?

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Also not sure this particular actor is right for the role

Temuera Morrison played Jango Fett & the clone troopers in the prequels.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I hear you but at this point, 20 years later I guess, it's hard to believe that he's as vital as the role requires him to be. I understand that he is a clone of Jango Fett and that is probably the reasoning for casting him but I agree with the commenters here, he's heavy and old. Also, he doesn't look anything like Boba Fett in the original trilogy physique-wise so there's a precedent for an actor change. Just clone him to a younger age.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I hear you but at this point, 20 years later I guess, it's hard to believe that he's as vital as the role requires him to be.

I like the continuity. It would have felt weird to me to have another actor in the role.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

1) He wipes out a whole squad of stormtroopers single-handedly in the Mandalorian, gets his ass beat by parkour ninjas here.

2) Should never take the helmet off. Elmer Fudd face has trouble projecting menace.

They are trying to play him off as ruthless crime lord, he looks weak as hell. Going to see him taking weekly trips into the tank is going to get old. The raider scenes came off as... odd to me. Weak storytelling, somethings are best left to the imagination.

#44 2 years ago

Ok, I want to like the show and am excited for the rest of the episodes but glad I'm not the only one wondering why the heck he was such a sucky fighter and got his butt handed to him so easily.

Also didn't he take his helmet off in mandalorian too?

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I like the continuity. It would have felt weird to me to have another actor in the role.

I hear you, but even the latest Matrix movie re-cast a good portion of the same characters with different/younger actors. In that case it's 60 years later in the story, 20+ years in reality for the actors aging. Interestingly in the movie, there were a couple of times mentioned by other movie characters that Neo (Keanu Reeves) looks younger than he should, since it is 60 years later in the story. But, he does look much older than in the previous movies, just not 60 years older I guess. Seems like a trick to the viewer maybe, but no way they could re-cast Reeves' character for someone younger it seems.

#46 2 years ago

Agreed

"sand giant" was cool

Nice new monster.

Would have liked to see A LOT more of the "escape" from the Sarlac Pit

45 seconds? + or - ?

Come on.....

Give me 3-4 minutes of that MINIMUM

1st EP should have been AT LEAST 1 hour.....

Oh well....

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Agreed
    "sand giant" was cool
    Nice new monster.
    Would have liked to see A LOT more of the "escape" from the Sarlac Pit
    45 seconds? + or - ?
    Come on.....
    Give me 3-4 minutes of that MINIMUM
    Oh well....

yeah, I would of thought the escape from the sarlac would be more.....anything more...

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Oh well....

This was one of my only gripes about The Mandalorian, as well. I appreciate that they're not just loading episodes with filler so that each story comes out to exactly an hour (or 52 minutes or whatever it is). But at the same time, the Disney+ Star Wars series seem to be of a high enough quality that even the filler would be welcomed.

And as the first episode of a series, a little more table setting (or fan service, re: Sarlacc Pit) would have felt appropriate.

#49 2 years ago

I hear you, but even the latest Matrix movie re-cast a good portion of the same characters with different/younger actors...

And nothing but bitching from the "I want an obese 70 y/o Fishburne doing King Fu" crowd

You already have a Mandolorian Armored man kicking the shit out of everyone with no chance of being hurt on another show; you have to make them a bit diff'rent. Its only been 27 minutes, give it an ep or 2

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And nothing but bitching from the "I want an obese 70 y/o Fishburne doing King Fu" crowd
    You already have a Mandolorian Armored man kicking the shit out of everyone with no chance of being hurt on another show; you have to make them a bit diff'rent. Its only been 27 minutes, give it an ep or 2

I’m ready and optimistic for ep2. Hope it’s great!

There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/book-of-boba-fett-thoughts?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.