Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How much are you liking BOBF? Scale is 1-Garbage to 10-Perfection”

• 1: Worst thing ever created 2 votes
      1%
    • 2: Jar Jar 6 votes
      4%
    • 3: Poor 14 votes
      9%
    • 4: DESW 1 vote
      1%
    • 5: Meh 25 votes
      17%
    • 6: Better than Meh 25 votes
      17%
    • 7: Good 42 votes
      28%
    • 8: Grogu 15 votes
      10%
    • 9: Ashoka Tano 12 votes
      8%
    • 10: Perfection 9 votes
      6%

(151 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E742DA8D-569C-4AA1-B938-020931548460 (resized).jpeg
    2022-02-25_14-29-19 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    larry_david (resized).jpg
    3fbd63ebd54e507d (resized).jpg
    22BA15BD-5E1E-40E0-A39C-11BB74ADCB56 (resized).jpeg
    B-arthur-ROTJ (resized).jpg
    KK-hut (resized).png
    hulk-smash (resized).jpg
    Boba and Mando.gif
    The-Book-of-Boba-Fett_poster (resized).jpg
    20220209_142113 (resized).jpg
    20220209_142158 (resized).jpg
    F6C6A748-EE7B-443E-93C4-AC296D353495 (resized).jpeg
    There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
    #401 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

100% this from Frolic (one page back).
    I think they made a miscalculation on people's interest in Boba Fett. Especially AFTER the Mando series was so successful and exciting. Want to see Boba's cool weapons? We already saw that in Mando. Want to learn more about Bounty Hunters and explore some of the scummier side of the Galaxy? Already in Mando.
    I think maybe this series would have worked better if released farther in the future - maybe after the first season of Asoka or Obi Wan. But these characters are just a little too close to Mando, and inferior. Mando was really a great series.
    I would also add that - maybe Boba Fett is just a more interesting character when he is on the edge of the frame and is shrouded in mystery. That is what always made him so cool. Like he was great in Mando as a tertiary character who popped up late in season 2. Often times we dont need to know the full on backstory of every Star Wars character. (The Solo movie for example).

Not to derail my own topic, but I thought the solo move was awesome.

But your other points are accurate and well argued.

#402 2 years ago

One of the great things about episode 6 is the visual nods to the Eastern Samurai movies and the Spaghetti Westerns. Seeing Luke train in the same fashion as Yoda but also doing it with a youngling of yoga’s species is an awesome reflection of Empire Strikes Back then back to the Clint Eastwood style shootout. The way they brought Cad Bane in was incredible. (Fun fact Cad Bane is the one that shot Boba Fett in the head and gave him the infamous dent on the helmet)
    The sequel movies sucked so bad. These series blow the movies away so much on so many levels.

#403 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

One of the great things about episode 6 is the visual nods to the Eastern Samurai movies and the Spaghetti Westerns. Seeing Luke train in the same fashion as Yoda but also doing it with a youngling of yoga’s species is an awesome reflection of Empire Strikes Back then back to the Clint Eastwood style shootout. The way they brought Cad Bane in was incredible. (Fun fact Cad Bane is the one that shot Boba Fett in the head and gave him the infamous dent on the helmet)
    The sequel movies sucked so bad. These series blow the movies away so much on so many levels.

Anyone notice that when Mando walks around, you can sometimes hear the ching sound of spurs?

#404 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Anyone notice that when Mando walks around, you can sometimes hear the ching sound of spurs?

Original Trilogy Fett made that sound too.

#405 2 years ago

I was flabbergasted at how much better Luke looked. But yes, speaking and moving was a bit stiff. Still, legit amazing.

I’m surprised that Luke would continue the whole “you must be a monk” crap that sunk the Jedi last time. Why make him choose? Why not build a new Jedi order that is less rigid?

Also that outfit must be uncomfortable as fuck in that forest. Why not dress in the traditional looser outfit?

Otherwise some of the best SW content to date. Too bad it’s ending.

#406 2 years ago

When my wife wants to re-watch a few episodes, then it's a fun for show for us.

I don't even care to try and pick apart anything because the Mando and Fett shows have saved Star Wars for me.

I tried watching the Bad Batch, but it's too kiddie for me. Same with the Clone Wars, just not my style regardless of the theme and setting.

#407 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I’m surprised that Luke would continue the whole “you must be a monk” crap that sunk the Jedi last time. Why make him choose? Why not build a new Jedi order that is less rigid?

Yeah, I'm surprised they decided to go in that direction too. If I recall in the EU, Luke wasn't nearly as rigid when he built his Jedi academy.

But--I suppose since this is his first attempt at teaching, better to teach what has been taught before rather than to get fancy and blaze your own path?

#408 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Original Trilogy Fett made that sound too.

Huh, it's been quite some time since I watched the OT. I didn't recall that sound effect was in there too.

#409 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I tried watching the Bad Batch, but it's too kiddie for me. Same with the Clone Wars, just not my style regardless of the theme and setting.

I'm curious, did you stick with Clone Wars past the initial movie? Granted, the movie is...not great, but if you haven't seen some of the later seasons of the series then you've missed some of the best of Star Wars, in my opinion.

#410 2 years ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I'm curious, did you stick with Clone Wars past the initial movie? Granted, the movie is...not great, but if you haven't seen some of the later seasons of the series then you've missed some of the best of Star Wars, in my opinion.

I'll second that, Clone Wars and Rebels were amazing for the expansion of the Star Wars stories, just gotta get past the fact that its animation.

#411 2 years ago
    EF95D827-98E3-4F4B-BD05-FF093E0E9612 (resized).jpegEF95D827-98E3-4F4B-BD05-FF093E0E9612 (resized).jpeg
    #412 2 years ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Watched with my kids, fairly solid entertainment. Better than the last movie trilogy by miles.

Rebels was not as good though. Bad Batch is an interesting twist if a little predictable in spots.

#413 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Remember... Luke doesn't know Anakin's conflict.. or any of the Jedi's. He only knows a few stories and what Kenobi and Yoda told him... all of which is of the classic regiment. Possession and feelings will lead to emotions that can cause a fall towards the dark side.

#414 2 years ago

man the interest is so fickle and overreactive. 'we want to see mando'... heres mando... 'wtf, why is this even called boba fett if he's never in it'

Two episodes and people act like they already changed course because of fan response. Uhh.. this shit was made before ep1 even aired

#415 2 years ago

Both Clone Wars and Rebels start off too kiddie, but eventually mature. They are both a great source of SW lore/tales and work very well. That's why Dave F is a SW stud. Of course now with the live action, people should be hungry to know more about these characters. Hopefully that will feed more people to binge the older Clone Wars and Rebels shows.

It's hard to appreciate Ahsoka's behavior here in the last two shows if you don't know of her own struggles with the Jedi Order.

#416 2 years ago

I find the articles ripping the uneven & disjointed storytelling in Book of Boba to be pretty funny. This show was announced as a surprise at the end of Mando Season 2, with an extremely fast production & turnaround time of less than a year.

I think it was always intended to be backstory filler, and presented like chapters & various stories from a book. Introduce new characters, flesh out old ones.
    And they've done a great job giving the fans what they want, especially these last two episodes. After a slow start, my satisfaction levels are off the charts now. I mean Cad Bane in the flesh? Holy shit!

But I have to laugh at the complaints of the show suddenly shifting it's focus to Mando. I mean I never hear people bitching when random characters show up constantly in other Marvel superhero movies. Before the first Avengers movie, this was completely unheard of. Now it's common practice for all the movie & TV studios. Get your fan base hooked (and keep those monthly streaming subscriptions rolling in) so that they can't miss a movie/show or they'll feel like they're missing out. No complaints here.

#417 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Top men.
    Favreau was noted as not to have had much engagement with the show till a few months and was... displeased with Rodriguez. Hence the huge shift the last two episodes.
    Dave Filoni's fingerprints are all over this episode, painfully evident in Ashoka's dialog.. which was more suited to a younger audience.
    Grogu is clearly going to take the armor, Disney has too much invested in the 3rd trilogy and shows no signs of dropping at at this juncture.

Actually since we are talking spoilers, I think Mando is going to become a Jedi.

They are hinting at with his sword that he can be a candidate for Jedi and that way he can go with Grogu, they both can travel together in the new spaceship.
    Just my thoughts.

#418 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

Actually since we are talking spoilers, I think Mando is going to become a Jedi.
    They are hinting at with his sword that he can be a candidate for Jedi and that way he can go with Grogu, they both can travel together in the new spaceship.
    Just my thoughts.

God i hope not, this whole anyone can be a jedi thing thats is creeping into Disney is really taken the specialness of it being for those that are force sensitive and learning to control the gift the universe has given them.

#419 2 years ago

In any case, bring on Episode 7. Let's see Boba ride that fricking Rancor into battle!!!

Disclaimer: Before people start moaning about this, remember that Boba has ridden all kinds of beasts in his history, specifically the ancient mythosaur featured in the Holiday Special cartoon. Enough of the soft old man stuff. Put on the helmet already & become the "cold blooded killer" that Cad Bane so specifically pointed out last episode.

Can't wait!

#420 2 years ago

Seeing the recovered Marshall, Mando, Grogu, Luke, the Avengers, The Justice League, Seal Team Seven, Optimus Prime and the Celestials battle the Pike will be awesome. Bane of course will rise up and be equal to the task until he fights one on one with Boba.

#421 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

Just my thoughts.

That is an interesting thought, they have foreshadowed that possibility a bit by mentioning that the forger of the Darksaber was both Jedi and Mandalorian. Have to see if that string plays out, so far the Mandalorian has not shown any force capability and if he did you would think Skywalker would have mentioned it.

One thing of interest (unless this was covered elsewhere) why has not Ashoka offered to help with Skywalkers training?

She is his senior and raised as a Jedi since youth.

#422 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

Just my thoughts.

Han Solo and plenty more hung out with Jedi no problem while still being themselves

Mando don't need no new religion

#423 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

One thing of interest (unless this was covered elsewhere) why has not Ashoka offered to help with Skywalkers training?
    She is his senior and raised as a Jedi since youth.

Because she had a fallout & was banned from the Jedi Order. She's technically not a Jedi & been in hiding since Order 66. She been doing her own thing since her youth, hence why she's the only one with white lightsabers. Training a padawan just not in her character.

She's on a revenge pathway now anyway. Finding her old Rebel friends & tracking down the real baddie pulling the strings in these series, Grand Admiral Thrawn. That's the story they'll reveal in her spinoff series.

#424 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Because she had a fallout & was banned from the Jedi Order. She's technically not a Jedi & been in hiding since Order 66.

Since the Jedi order don't exist thats somewhat a moot point.

She is the most highly trained Jedi alive at this point in the timeline (that we know of) think she would give Luke a hand at least for a bit.

#425 2 years ago

If I had any complaints about the last episode, it's that the private conversation between Luke & Ashoka was just too short.

She's the only living person who personally knew both his mother, and his father before he turned to the dark side. She was Anakin's padawan & they have a long history, strong bond & painful memories. She has plenty to tell Luke.

And Luke can tell her about Annakin's redemption before his death. There's a lot to dive into there. Perhaps later down the road.

#426 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Since the Jedi order don't exist thats somewhat a moot point.
    She is the most highly trained Jedi alive at this point in the timeline (that we know of) think she would give Luke a hand at least for a bit.

She's had multiple opportunities to support Jedi and has refused. This is in step with her evolution through CW and Rebels. She blames the Jedi thinking for alot of things too.

#427 2 years ago

Just for some perspective:

Darth Vader was 45 in ROTJ.
    Yoda was 900 in ROTJ

BOBF takes place about 5 years after ROTJ

Ashoka is currently 45 in BOBF.
    Boba Fett is currently 41 in BOBF.
    Luke is is currently 28 in BOBF.
    Grogu was 50 in Mando S1

Yaddle (the only other Yoda-like character to make an on-screen appearance) was on the Jedi council in TPM was 477 years old at the time, and died on an EU mission prior to the clone wars at 483 years old.

#428 2 years ago

Well I'm sure Filoni & Faverau have a long end game planned. And however this integrated post-ROTJ storytelling works out on Disney+ between all the Mando, Boba, Ashoka (& potentially even a Luke spinoff show) over the next several years, I really hope that when it comes down to the final climax they make a big budget, big effects, big scale $500M climatic movie for theaters. They're done a remarkable job on Disney+, but they could do so much more with a big budget film.

I mean why make millions on Disney+ when you can make mutliple billions worldwide? Filoni should have the directing/production experience to pull it off by then. The deepfake tech will be even better in a few years. Give this story the spotlight it deserves. Still many years away, but Pre-Episode 7 Thrawn Trilogy anyone???

#429 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I really hope that when it comes down to the final climax they make a big budget, big effects, big scale $500M climatic movie for theaters. They're done a remarkable job on Disney+, but they could do so much more with a big budget film.

The last few years, I've much preferred the long-form storytelling of a series. That allows for much more time to develop characters, explore plots, and build & explore the worldspace.

Trying to pack too much into a 2+ hour film can make it seem rushed and shallow.

#430 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I mean why make millions on Disney+ when you can make mutliple billions worldwide? Filoni should have the directing/production experience to pull it off by then

1 - One billion box office doesn't mean One billion to Disney - they only keep a portion of box office
    2 - Movie revenue is a one time thing - Streaming Subscriptions are recurring revenue. The street and execs like recurring revenue over up and down one-time revenue
    3 - D+ subscriptions are open doorways to the other Disney content
    4 - You don't get metrics and direct advertising hooks into a theatre goer like you do a subscription customer
    5 - Disney has plenty of international streaming platforms

#431 2 years ago

The long game will also to be more streaming movies, shows etc and shift some more to pay per view for early viewing or wait 3 weeks to 2 months and then see them as part of your Disney + subscription. Personally, since I waited to see Celestials on Disney Plus, I have no problem being patient .

I love Favreau's Cowboys Vs Aliens integration approach to Mando/Bobba and have no problem with them taking every trite cowboy soap opera storyline and jazzing it up for the Star Wars universe and sprinkling in Star Wars canon here and there. The Wild West in space motif has been working for me in the Star Wars universe.

As much I as love Robert Rodriguez's earlier movie stuff, it is okay if his approach doesn't quite work for Bobba. I think there is going to be a good payoff in the finale for Bobba's current story.

#432 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Because she had a fallout & was banned from the Jedi Order. She's technically not a Jedi & been in hiding since Order 66. She been doing her own thing since her youth, hence why she's the only one with white lightsabers. Training a padawan just not in her character.
    She's on a revenge pathway now anyway. Finding her old Rebel friends & tracking down the real baddie pulling the strings in these series, Grand Admiral Thrawn. That's the story they'll reveal in her spinoff series.

I am stoked for Thrawn. He is one of my favorite characters.

#433 2 years ago

Just caught up on the last 2, great stuff!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

This is a holdover from the OG movies and Boba Fett.

#434 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Huh, it's been quite some time since I watched the OT. I didn't recall that sound effect was in there too.

There's something on Disney plus about the character of boba Fett and how he was born check it out they added that sound in there because George Lucas loved westerns and Star wars was supposedly based on his love of westerns

#436 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Pre-Episode 7 Thrawn Trilogy anyone??

Sign me the fuck up! With only one caveat, do it after Kathleen Kennedy is gone.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I find the articles ripping the uneven & disjointed storytelling in Book of Boba to be pretty funny.

Most articles are written by corporate shills, just trying to save face for Disney and "The Message" as the critical drinker would say. His YouTube channel is definitely worth a watch

#437 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Sign me the fuck up! With only one caveat, do it after Kathleen Kennedy is gone.

Most articles are written by corporate shills, just trying to save face for Disney and "The Message" as the critical drinker would say. His YouTube channel is definitely worth a watch

Would it be a Thrawn backstory, or when he and Ezra disappears? Both would be interesting.

#438 2 years ago

Just saw episode 6 (and stayed out of this thread till now!)

I agree that Luke looked amazing. The tech is getting better and better. My biggest gripe would be the line deliveries seem flat. But overall it was quite good and I was staring at his face.

I am confused that Boba Fett has been missing for 2 whole episodes. As much as I liked seeing Luke and Grogu, that should be a different show or something.

The villain is unknown to me as I never watched the animated series, but people seem to be excited about him so I'm all for it.

I think Disney has a growing problem with the sequel movies (7-9) and canon. Their hands are tied and that sort of sucks.

#439 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

My biggest gripe would be the line deliveries seem flat.

Hamill didn't record lines for The Mandalorian, according to Jon Favreau. In Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian, he revealed, "Something people didn't realize is that his voice isn't real. His voice, the young Luke Skywalker voice, is completely synthesized using an application called Respeecher."

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a38971109/cgi-luke-skywalker-mandalorian-book-of-boba-fett/

#440 2 years ago

That's interesting, about Luke's voice, because I'm fully aware Mark Hamil also doesn't sound like that anymore so I wondered if they hired a sound alike.

That would also explain the flatness. You can only do so much with it.

I remember many years ago when the film critic Roger Ebert had lost his voice from cancer surgery. He was using text to speech, and they tried to recreate his voice from all his Siskel & Ebert footage. The problem was he was arguing most of the time on the show, so the voice never sounded right for text to speech.

#441 2 years ago

Like I said, Disney is looking to replace actors wholesale.

I think the term they used was "Eternilize"

#442 2 years ago

Oh and the ratings are in- According to sources, the ratings for the last episode were THREE TIMES the premiere of the BOBF.

It would be nice if Bob the Accountant running Disney flushes all the woke executives and staff who green lit the last slate of crap movies and wipes them from canon.

#443 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Oh and the ratings are in- According to sources, the ratings for the last episode were THREE TIMES the premiere of the BOBF.
    It would be nice is Bob the Accountant running Disney flushes all the woke executives and staff who green lit the last slate of crap movies and wipes them from canon.

How does BOBF relate to the “the last slate of crap movies”? Favreau hired Rodriguez to be the show runner. If anything it shows that Favreau made a rare mistake and shouldn’t have given Rodriguez so much control for the early episodes.

#444 2 years ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

How does BOBF relate to the “the last slate of crap movies”? Favreau hired Rodriguez to be the show runner. If anything it shows that Favreau made a rare mistake and shouldn’t have given Rodriguez so much control for the early episodes.

Not the first he has made, nor will be the last.

Favreau also thought he could make Brie Larson the new face of Marvel. How did that work out?

#445 2 years ago

Cad bane. What a badass.

#446 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It would be nice if Bob the Accountant running Disney flushes all the woke executives and staff who green lit the last slate of crap movies and wipes them from canon.

Literally loved the sequel trilogy (middle one wasn’t great, but meh). 7 and 9 are up there with my favorite Star Wars. Also Solo! And if someone doesn’t like rogue one, they’re just too old for Star Wars. On the whole, I think the recent Star Wars content is very good. I know that makes me lose nerd cred, but I’m just putting it out there because nobody ever says it.

That said, the first few episodes of bobf were pretty mediocre imo.

#447 2 years ago

So BOBF has now turned into Mando Fett or is it Bobalorian….I am not sure LOL! I have said this before…they have not given me a reason to care about Boba Fett. They gave us a reason/story line in Mando that makes me care about him keeping Grogu safe.

Now what we need explained is why Mando is willing to help Boba Fett. I need that backstory/connection.

Original trilogy is still the best. All the new movies fall into the OK category for me…1-3 are the worst. 7-9 are absolutely ridiculous because all of a sudden the girl who has never trained or really knew of the force literally becomes a Jedi overnight…..get out of here. She can already beat KR by the end of the first movie…WTf. It does not fall in line with all we have been told from the previous movies regarding how long it takes to train to be a Jedi.

Rouge one was OK but nothing special.

Solo was the best of the new movies. To me it captured the spirit of Han and gave a decent backstory of how he met Chewy and got the Falcon. It just felt closer to the original trilogy movies than any of the others and probably why I liked it.

I do agree The Clone Wars series is really good once you over it being a cartoon…my wife even likes it. We still need to finish it but will at some point.

#448 2 years ago

Rey and Captain Marvel have the same problem, they are characters without struggle, without improvement, made to not have flaws because female strong character archetypes can't have flaws, weakness, or learn anything new in 2020+

Quoted from paynemic:

, I think the recent Star Wars content is very good. I know that makes me lose nerd cred,

At least you are honest. Your Nerd cred is fine. That doesn't change the fact that 7-9 are poorly written, poorly constructed films.

Quoted from Pickle:

1-3 are the worst. 7-9 are absolutely ridiculous

Still like 1-3 better than 7-9. At least the prequels had a point.

#449 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Solo was the best of the new movies. To me it captured the spirit of Han and gave a decent backstory of how he met Chewy and got the Falcon.

I thought Solo was a ok popcorn flick truth be told.. the actor who portrayed Han Solo made it difficult to watch though, could not buy him being Harrison Ford. We also didn't need to see a movie on how Han Solo acquired all his accoutrements.

Danny Glover as Lando? The man stole the show.

#450 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Rey and Captain Marvel have the same problem, they are characters without struggle, without improvement, made to not have flaws because female strong character archetypes can't have flaws, weakness, or learn anything new in 2020+

The term you are looking for is "Mary Sue"

A Mary Sue is a type of fictional character, usually a young woman, who is portrayed as unrealistically free of weaknesses.[1] Originating in fan fiction, a Mary Sue is often an author's idealized self-insertion. Mary Sue stories are often written by adolescent authors.[2]

The term Mary Sue was coined by Paula Smith, as a character's name in the 1973 parody short story "A Trekkie's Tale", which satirized idealized female characters widespread in Star Trek fan fiction. A male character with similar traits may be labeled a Gary Stu or Marty Stu.

There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/book-of-boba-fett-thoughts/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.