View topic image gallery

871370C7-4519-4EEA-A5E2-BD900F347FA3 (resized).jpeg
Bronco Subtract Bonus short (resized).jpg
A8A827AC-79E2-4514-AD8C-67C1FF703862 (resized).jpeg
Bronco Subtract Bonus (resized).jpg
D86F1B6C-305A-4595-B32A-C605E14B688A (resized).jpeg
switchCard (resized).jpg
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beachpickle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've been bringing this thing back from the dead and have resolved countless issues to get it 98% working(some light sockets and AS/ match unit still need work). Just about the time I was getting tired of patting myself on the back, this started happening.

The bonus unit's decrement coil fires as soon as the reset position switch opens even slightly.

-If I partially increment the bonus unit (not a full advance to the first position, just enough to open the "home" switch, the decrement coil fires and will lock on if I don't immediately return to reset position.

-If I do a full manual advance or activate a playfield bonus advance, it completely locks on.

-If locked on, it releases back to the reset position when I power the game off.

-I noticed a spark on the second from the bottom switch that opens in reset position. I put a card in there, and was able to advance bonus without the decrement coil firing

The bonus unit resets fine when starting a game if bonus is added while the machine is off.

I've attached a photo of the bonus unit area on the schematic, and a photo of the switches noting where a card allowed the bonus to advance.

I'm stumped.. just when I thought I was starting to wrap my head around this thing.

anyone have any ideas?
IMG_4922 (resized).jpgIMG_4922 (resized).jpg
switchCard (resized).jpgswitchCard (resized).jpg

D86F1B6C-305A-4595-B32A-C605E14B688A (resized).jpegD86F1B6C-305A-4595-B32A-C605E14B688A (resized).jpeg
#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent the morning investigating both ideas and so far no luck.

I did find this chunk of solder on the bottom of the cabinet, which wasn’t there before this issue popped up. So maybe it broke free from somewhere related? I’ll keep digging around and hope I can see something amiss.

A8A827AC-79E2-4514-AD8C-67C1FF703862 (resized).jpegA8A827AC-79E2-4514-AD8C-67C1FF703862 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago

Just did some more testing and realized if I activate 4b, 5b,Lb(which also throws 5b), the issue goes away. Allowing bonus to be built without the decrement coil locking on. Or, if the coil is already locked, it will unlock when I activate 4b or 5b and allow bonus to function as it normally should.

4b is abc rollovers complete, 5b is 2x bonus control relay, Lb is 2x bonus relay.

I have a feeling this is a step in the right direction but my brain is not cooperating.

#7 4 years ago

I’m getting 20.5 and it drops to 0 when it closes. Is it a problem if the resistance is higher than the range you gave when open?

#9 4 years ago

I found it!!!

The test at J showed the short at the blue-black wire so I inspected everywhere I could find With that wire and was really pulling my hair out, and then thought to check the Jones plugs, found the wire there and its connection looked fine until I pulled the bundle of wires away to check the bases and found these two stripped wires.

I’m so relieved. Thanks so much @markg . I learned a bunch from your advice and can’t even imagine how much longer that would have taken me to track down without having a bit of direction.

871370C7-4519-4EEA-A5E2-BD900F347FA3 (resized).jpeg871370C7-4519-4EEA-A5E2-BD900F347FA3 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Electronics
Cobra Amusements
Electronics
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beachpickle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bonus-unit-decrement-coil-locks-on-gottlieb-bronco?tu=beachpickle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.