Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chum43.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

This has plagued me since I got this unit and continues to rear its ugly head. 74 Strato-Flite yet again. The bonus wheel steps up and adds bonus and when ball ends it counts back for score and then lastly... resets from 0 to 1000 (first step) to start a new ball. If it fails to move to the 1000 position to restart a new ball the score motor continues to turn and whole machine goes through multiple, sometimes endless, recycles until power is turned off. I have spent hours adjusting springs, taking mechanics apart and cleaning and adjusting everything. I was convinced it was a bad coil but it seems to pull hard enough most of the time.
What I do notice is that when it tries to step back up the coil only move a tiny bit, not enough to push the mechanics ahead. Usually after a couple of rounds of the score motor it will do its job. When I push a target to advance it, the coil is quite robust.. so I think the coil is OK.

It is a contact on the score motor which pulses the coil to step up.... Could this be weak or too fast????

Any thoughts would be great... Thanks

#3 9 years ago

I will have another look at the contacts on the score motor as suggested. I have a schematic but its a bit much to post the whole thing. I downloaded it form Internet Pinball Database

#4 9 years ago

Re-visited the score motor switch in question - The contacts don't look horrible but are discolored and may be suspect. I will refinish as suggested and see what happens. Thanks! I will post results.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks EMsINKC. Will have a look tonight and post results. I did work over the switch on Cam 6 this AM. It was a little rough. Took apart and cleaned it up but no luck. Got sidetracked the rest of the day buying up a "Buccaneer".

#7 9 years ago

Went through all the switches and tweaked the mechanical yet again on the bonus wheel. Lid up test was awesome but failure was right around the corner again.

All the advances seem to want to work and in most cases they do. I watch the armature trying to move and it is sluggish a lot of the times and yet other times it is solid.

This coil is 40 years old and has a metal sleeve that I can not extract. I think I will source a new one with a plastic sleeve and see what happens. I am at my wits end and think I should just take the coil itself out of the equation. Will update after I find one and install. Thanks to all for now!!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for the post. I'll hope for the same result!!

1 week later
#11 9 years ago

Update: Source a new coil from Steve Young's "The Pinball Resource". Them boys are awesome!! Anyway... got it today and soldered it in. Viola!!!! Works like a charm !!! Played about 12 games without a hic-up. The new coil bangs that bonus step up with no hesitation. I cant believe I took so long to try it out.

Case closed on this. Thanks for the help guys.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chum43.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bonus-step-up-coil-issue?tu=Chum43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.