sc (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
gear (resized).jpg
20190217_152530_001 (resized).jpg
20190217_152543 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

Still looking over my CF and the bonus score will not register when it counts down after ball drains. Was working and now is not.

After looking at schematics for the bonus stepper unit I can't seem to figure out what part is not working correctly. So 2 questions......

On the scoring motor... how the hell are you supposed to be able to see if the switches are open and closed when there are so many of them and I can't get my head far enough inside the cabinet to see them?? Is there some trick to this or do you use a mirror or what?

There is a single switch on the bonus stepper that seems to register 1000 points if I manually touch it. Is this where my problem lies? It is in the open position. I have made it close but that did not seem to work.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 5 years ago

This should be the circuit to check. For your SM, if you loosen the screws on the stacks it will make it easy to clean them. If you're wondering about one in particular you could block the contacts with a strip of paper.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 5 years ago

Yeah that is the area I have been looking at. I guess my problem is, I do not know what area on the schematic relates to the parts in the machine. If that makes sense.

It will rack up the 300 points as you get the bonus lights to lite up, but the 1000 is the one I need to know where it is at.

Question what does the numbers in the little boxes represent is that the color of the wire that goes to each switch?

Below is a pic of the switch that clicks off the 1000 on the score reel

20190217_152530_001 (resized).jpg20190217_152530_001 (resized).jpg20190217_152543 (resized).jpg20190217_152543 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

little boxes represent is that the color of the wire that goes to each switch?

Yes, and there's a list of them on the schematic.

Is there a post on the plastic gear in the circled spot? There should be something that hits and opens the contacts.

gear (resized).jpggear (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

On the scoring motor... how the hell are you supposed to be able to see if the switches are open and closed when there are so many of them and I can't get my head far enough inside the cabinet to see them?? Is there some trick to this or do you use a mirror or what?

Bottom board removal is not difficult, with the board setting on a table, with a good light and comfortable chair switch adjustment is accessible.

I was once hesitant to mess with motor switch stacks but it is like anything else on these machines, logical.

#6 5 years ago

Hi timab2000

Can you just clarify what actually happens...sounds like the bonus counts up ok as you play.

When the ball drains, do the lights count back down to the 1000 lamp ok, and its just you are not racking up the bonus score?

You are correct, that switch that scores 1000 is the one that score each 1000 (but there are few other switches in the circuit, lets leave those for now).

Is it clean? Sometimes when you press with your fingers it gets a better contact than when the stepper activates it. I'd start with that before we delve deeper - wipe with alcohol on a cotton bud, then a flex stone (if you don't have one then a gentle 400 grit sandpaper or similar, then one more quick wipe with alcohol. If that switch is ok, there's a couple of other we can move onto - I'd look at score motor 2C (I can post relevant schematic piece later if needed to explain)

You asked about getting to score motor switches, you can lift the score motor by undoing the cotter pin. Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG This can help sometimes. All you need to know is here in the holy texts : http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#motor (plus how to read schematics, etc, etc, etc)

The post that curriedog pointed out is the post that opens the circuit when the bonus has finished counting down (so it stops). Again, comes down to exactly what is occurring on your machine...

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

When the ball drains, do the lights count back down to the 1000 lamp ok, and its just you are not racking up the bonus score?

The lights go down to the 1000, but I am not racking up points

Quoted from 4Max:

when the stepper activates it.

The stepper does not seen to touch that switch when counting down

Quoted from currieddog:

Is there a post on the plastic gear in the circled spot?

I'm pretty sure that is there but I'll check again and report back. I checked it is there.

#8 5 years ago

Will it score any bonus if you light the A and/or B lights?

#9 5 years ago

Oops, too much Templeton last night, that switch is only for counting up, not down - my mistake, sorry timab2000 . I have taken a closer look and here's my thoughts (by the way, good question from HowardR as that may be handy as we troubleshoot further).

So the circuit in question I believe is this:
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

For the 1000 to score, the 1000 point relay has to fire (upper most blue arrow). For it to fire then, assuming A or B lights not lit then the following switches are relevant (working down my blue arrows):

- Switch on Bonus Score relay, wires are 81 (Black with red trace) and 58 so White with Black trace - you get the idea
(I have a photo below on the location of the bonus score relay). When then bonus is counting down, this relay should be engaged - you can visually check that.

- Switch on ball index relay, wires 58 and 48 (photo below again) - index relay should be engaged when ball drains

- Switch on B relay wires 48 and 20 - which is normally closed (unless B light on, but lets assume its off for now)

- then just to make it interesting, you have to follow the red marker up to the top, and finally score motor 2C, here's how to find that:

sc (resized).jpgsc (resized).jpg

Here's the location of the relays - you are correct, they are not easy to get to! Don't forget it may help to lift and pull the playfield forward (remove ball first!) until it drops into the side cut outs and then you can tip it all the way back to rest on headboard - but be careful!
InkedInkedthumbnail_IMG_6913_LI (resized).jpgInkedInkedthumbnail_IMG_6913_LI (resized).jpg

Inkedthumbnail_IMG_6914_LI (resized).jpgInkedthumbnail_IMG_6914_LI (resized).jpg The lower photo highlights the "B" relay.

I would start with the score motor 2C - they are often at fault and its the easiest one to get to! Good luck!

#10 5 years ago

Hey 4MAX thanks for the great photos! That really helps a lot. HowardR thanks for your help too

After looking at those exact areas on the schematic this morning I was able to get it to work and then not work. Would countdown normal on the 1000 but not a the double with the A&B bonus

But I think a lot of the problem is dirty contacts at the scoring motor. 2C and 9A seem to be a big part of the problem. when I worked on those everything seemed to start working. So good progress this morning, thanks for the help. If I can just get it to stay consistent I'll be happy. I'll report back later

#11 5 years ago

I think I got the problem fixed. Countdown bonus seems to be working on a regular basis now. Found others things along the way that were causing problems as well.

It seemed the left sling shot was shorting out the scoring switch that the slingshot triggers to score 10 points. The little rubber sleeve or whatever is used there to keep the leaf of the switch from grounding out is badly worn. Can these be purchased somewhere or do you improvise something?

So I am happy so far thanks again for the helpful ideas!

#12 5 years ago

Well big step backwards for me bonus countdown no longer Counting the thousand points switch is now clicking off hundreds I'm not sure what's going on now

#13 5 years ago

Okay if I would just read what you guys are trying to tell me to do I'd have this figured out. The ball index relay was not making contact on one of the switches once I adjusted that things seem to start working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bonus-score-not-scoring-on-capt-fantastic-?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.