Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
aWizard-Work01_(resized).jpg
help_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Having an issue on a Bally wizard where when ball enters outhole and is suposed to be counting down bonus, stepper is jumping up and down instead of just down while shill adding my 1,000 pts. Any thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

does the bonus ratchet paws rest on the gear teeth correctly? the pivots my be gummed up. does the unit have all its springs on correctly? how does the unit work when manually operated by hand?

#3 7 years ago

Manually works good, resets properly when game is started or I activate reset coil. Only when ball is in outhole does it go up and down. The advice bonus and deviance bonus could are activating at the same time?

#4 7 years ago

hard to say without looking at it. can you post a video of the bonus unit in operation?

#5 7 years ago

Sure, the devavance coil locks as should but the advance coil keeps firring when it shouldn't close.

#7 7 years ago

As I recall, Wizard is one of those games that steps up from zero to one bonus when kicking out the ball. So that is probably where your advance pulse is coming from on bonus collect.

So, if you have the schematic, look for bonus SU coil and see which relay switches can provide a pulse from the score motor.

#8 7 years ago

I found a free schematic on IPDB but am still working on reading them correctly.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I found a free schematic on IPDB

Did you notice that there is a colour version?

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2803/Bally_1975_Wizard_Schematic.png

#10 7 years ago

I would be checking all the SW’s in the red circle below. One of them is closed when it should be open.

help_(resized).jpghelp_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

I missed the Hole RE, it too could be the problem.

Also, the out hole RE should not energise until the bonuses are collected.

#12 7 years ago

Sweet I'll dig into it in the next couple days

#13 7 years ago

Hi V_Piscopo +
Maybe the fault is: The Make-and-Brake-Switch on Ball-Index-Relay (my Violet "A") is maladjusted - faulty - ALL 3 blades have contact (?)

I made a snippet of (ipdb) schema.
"light-green" is simple playing and hitting somethin worth a bonus. "Dark-green" is what we would like to have at changing to next player / next ball (Bonus-Ladder is counted down): The pulling Outhole-Relay makes the Bonus-Unit-step-up-Solenoid fire once.
At start-up (the game before has ended abnormal - somebody unplugged the 110 VAC-Line-Cord - Bonus are on the Bonus-Ladder) -> "light-blue" is at Start-up - Bunus-UNIT is resetted.
"Dark-blue" is when the ball rolls into the Outhole -> -> -> Bonus-SCORE-RELAY pulls and the Core-Motor pulses. How does the pin do it -> "orange" shows the activating of Bonus-Score-Relay -> when the bonus is stepped down -> "Red" -> the Bonus-ZERO-Relay pulls -> the Outhole-Relay pulls -> "dark-green" takes place ...

V_Piscopo - my "violet A, B, C ...": -> (A) - Switch on Ball-Index-Relay. B / C: Do Bonus-Score-Relay AND Outhole-Relay PULL AT THE SAME TIME ? (That is faulty !!!). D: What is Your Bonus-ZERO-RELAY doing ?
I believe: The Make-and-Brake-Switch on Ball-Index-Relay (my Violet "A") is maladjusted - faulty - ALL 3 blades have contact (?). Look at A,B,C,D and write about (we might have to dig-in deeper (?). Greetings Rolf

aWizard-Work01_(resized).jpgaWizard-Work01_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Ok finally had a minute to go out and look at wizzard. I think there's more problems with it than expected. After a successful reset and I start a game everything in game works as should when ball enters outhole bonus score coil energizes and bonus stepper starts to go back and forth with advance bonus coil also activating while bonus rest coil is locked but although trying to count down and up but inevitably counting up. Although when fully reset shouldn't my bonus stepper count back up 1 to 1,000? It does not. Bonus score relay and outhole relay do not pull at same time. Outhole relay never pulls untill bonus unit stepper is at 0. Ball index relay stays locked at 1st ball untill bonus score relay is fully reset and outhole kicks out ball. All switches make and break as should on ball index. Although while actually spending some time with it I realized its hacked all over the place these wires are cut to score motor *see pic* and these wires are cut as well *see pic. Also while trying to reset there is a coil that fires on P1 coin door this also fires everytime advance bonus is hit. Is this correct? I thought that would only energize when credit coil energized? Bottom pic is score motor cut wires top pic are cut wires that look like they could go to jones plugs in front of cab?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#15 7 years ago

Not hacks. That era Bally had wire harnesses filled with additional wires for varied coin/credit requirements of other countries.

Ball index should start a ball de-energized. Scoring points would have it pull in and stay in. I have explore the schematic to confirm 1,000 bonus at start of each ball like I mentioned unless someone chimes in first.

#16 7 years ago

At G13 on the schematic, there is a bonus unit step up path that goes through Score motor 7D, outhole relay and bonus zero relay. So, I would say yes, it steps up to 1000 bonus when serving a ball.

If outhole relay doesn't pull in until bonus unit zero relay pulls in, then I would think you have a stuck normally open switch on the outhole relay(blu-R / O-G) Just make sure the bonus advance relay isn't pulling in for some reason during outhole/ bonus collect.

#17 7 years ago

Will get back at it in the next day or so! Thanks!

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago

Ok so it def adds 1,000 to bonus when kicking out ball after countdown. When bonus collect relay pulls in so does bonus 0 relay.(if bonus 0 relay is night next to bonus collect relay all my tags have fallen off) If I hold open bonus 0 relay when bonus collect is closed and outhole is closed it counts down bonus and kicks out ball adding 1,000 and advances next ball. Thinking one of the switches is misajusted in bonus 0 stack. Will look into it tonight.

1 year later
#19 6 years ago

Any idea where I can find a ratchet and shaft for a wizard bonus stepper unit?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Any idea where I can find a ratchet and shaft for a wizard bonus stepper unit?

Try the parts forum here and the usual suppliers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/pinball-parts-wanted
www.pbresource.com/
http://www.marcospecialties.com/
https://www.pinballlife.com/
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/index.php/pinball-game-parts-c-5
ebay.com link: sch

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bonus-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.