Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

Bonus collect could be for minimum value (1k), even variable jackpots start out at some not-insignificant base value.

Bonus also, as noted, can still be collected via drain if not collected on PF during play.

In many older games the bonus collect was the biggest shot on the playfield, and could be considered a 'jackpot' per se when you collect it.

Many newer games feature both one or more jackpots (usually although not always in MB) as well as a bonus collect:
    - JM has bonus collect via keypad, and jackpots in MB
    - DM has bonus collect via Computer award, jackpots during MB, and a demolition jackpot collected in single ball play
    - TZ had a bonus collect via Camera, a regular jackpot in MB, and a jackpot in Powerball Mania that goes to bonus, and can then be collected via bonus collect!

'Jackpot' as a term wasn't used until High Speed I think, though many games before that had large shots you could collect (Mega score on Road Kings for instance)

Quoted from mof:

To you, what is the difference between building up a bonus and collecting it MANUALLY with a shot (not end of ball), and building up (or not) a jackpot and collecting it?

I would think that if the game doesn't say "jackpot" in some form then it's not technically a jackpot...

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Is “Dinetime” on Diner a bonus collect or a jackpot?

You don't collect it when you drain, so why would it be a bonus?

Quoted from mof:"Jackpot" wasn't used until HighSpeed?

I haven't seen it anywhere

Quoted from mof:

Is bonus collect used after High Speed?

Quoted from zacaj:

Many newer games feature both one or more jackpots (usually although not always in MB) as well as a bonus collect:
    - JM has bonus collect via keypad, and jackpots in MB
    - DM has bonus collect via Computer award, jackpots during MB, and a demolition jackpot collected in single ball play
    - TZ had a bonus collect via Camera, a regular jackpot in MB, and a jackpot in Powerball Mania that goes to bonus, and can then be collected via bonus collect!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Can you pinpoint how each one is built and what makes them different?

Regular bonus is built in numerous ways, including modes and power ball mania. jackpot is built by hitting standups during MB.

Quoted from mof:

ok, very cool... I wonder if this is the first pin to do this...

Jokerz, 1988, has collect bonus and jackpot.

Quoted from mof:One you collect ONLY by making a certain shot after completing certain objectives.

It has a 'target bonus', which is not a regular bonus the same way that the 'bonus' in abra ca dabra (scored on every lit drop target hit) is not a normal bonus.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

So... *perhaps* the first ever jackpot in pinball is high speed and -- the player had nothing to do with the value by accomplishing things on the playfield?

I think the jackpot is raised by something like the pop bumpers.

Quoted from mof:

I look forward to learning what bonus collect and jackpots are like in Jokerz...

Jackpot is variable (shared between players), increased via upper playfield lanes. Collected by shooting ramp four times during MB.

Bonus is advanced via lanes, rollovers, etc as normal. It's collected by completing the upper playfield lanes.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

I think the biggest difference would be that bonus collect would reset to a minimum value when collected (aside from modern games), jackpot values increase even after they are collected.

Many games with a bonus collect don't reset it. Jokerz, TZ, Bow and Arrow (and almost all bally ems). I like to think of this as 'score bonus' not 'collect' since they seem very different in how they play, but everything seems to call it collect either way.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

My EM playing experience is pretty limited.

Bow and Arrow, Old Chicago, Nip-It, Delta Queen to name a few. I don't actually know of any Bally's with collect-and-reset, but my knowledge isn't that big either

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bonus-collect-v-jackpot?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.