Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170927_084753766 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
Captive_Ball_Shield_bb (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
captive_missing_bb1 (resized).jpg
captive_Ball_freddy1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hey All - just picked up a Bone Busters in nice shape. I don't have the manual yet, but I had a few quick questions I'm hoping other Bone Busters owners (past or present) may be able to answer real quick. I'm sure I'll have more, but for now:

1) Dip Switch settings - can someone send me a list of the dip switch settings? I could go with the trial and error method, but I'd prefer to just know which switch does what before playing around with it.

2) Gameplay question - The Opera jackpot/lane to the far upper left seems tough to get to; is that intentional? When I try to sneak the ball past the pop bumper on the left side, it feels like almost every time it catches the edge of the pop and comes back. Is this supposed to be a really difficult and narrow shot? I just want to make sure it's not something wrong with the pop bumper itself (cap isn't original, hoping the rest of it is)

UPDATE - See new questions below

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Fun game! I'd like to get one someday...

It's awesome - such a quirky fun machine. So few of them probably out there in working, nice shape. Glad I snagged this one finally!

#5 6 years ago

Nope, the trouble is getting by the pop. The wafer isn't cut on mine, so perhaps someone replaced it and didn't do that. I see the pic on IPDB and it looks like this (left side of pic): http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=347&picno=47628&zoom=1 Is that the correct (factory) cutout?

#6 6 years ago

I've decided to cut my own since I have some spare wafer / skirts lying around. It will be white, but I'll cut another in blue if this works out. Almost done with it now.

Thank you to those that PM'd me info from the manual!

#7 6 years ago

I just realized something is completely missing from the game: The top left should have a captive ball according to what I'm seeing and reading. This game doesn't have one (the ball guard is missing). I thought I had to actually shoot the in-game ball up the narrow gap to his the spot target. Turns out there's supposed to be a captive ball there, which is then hit up into that target.

I see some pics online, but they're not the greatest. Can someone upload some pics of their captive ball setup on their Bone Busters perhaps?

#8 6 years ago

Looks like I might be in some trouble on this issue. I contacted PBR, and they do not carry this captive ball shield part. Does anyone know where I can track one down, or maybe have one lying around in their parts pile? I could try to manufacture something similar, or rig up another captive ball design, but the correct part would be ideal. Please see the below pics. I could not find a clear image of the captive ball on a Bone Busters, but here is the exact same part from a Freddy pin (grabbed this from another post). Also attached is an image of where the part should go on my pin, but is clearly missing.

Please let me know if someone has one of these, or knows where I can get one. Thank you in advance

captive_Ball_freddy1 (resized).jpgcaptive_Ball_freddy1 (resized).jpg

captive_missing_bb1 (resized).jpgcaptive_missing_bb1 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

So I decided to cut my own bracket, designed with some sheet metal and using pics I found online. It's not perfect, and I'll probably make a nicer once out of slightly thicker metal, but it's working great so far after a bunch of games. Definitely improves game play now that I can hit that opera jackpot shot. Attaching a pic for those curious.

Captive_Ball_Shield_bb (resized).jpgCaptive_Ball_Shield_bb (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Oh THAT'S what you meant. So an airball can land up there and get stuck? That's funny, I haven't had that happen yet. Good idea, thanks. The new homemade bracket is still going strong, dozens of games, no issues. It's nice to be able to hit that jackpot more often now.

Silly GENERAL pin question... most of my modern (post 1980) games have a plastic post down inside the drain, below the apron (can't see it unless you look down into the drain area). None of them have ever had a rubber ring on them, but since they're normal posts they clearly could. I added it on most of my games, thinking it was something that was just missed by former owners. The ball can hit it pretty hard sometimes, so I didn't like the idea of it breaking down there. However, it causes some ball saves when the ball hits it at high speed at the right angle. I'm wondering if it's supposed to be without a ring? Is that a preference thing? The chart in the manual doesn't show a ring there, or even reference the post.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I'll check tonight I might have an extra from my Big Hurt parts pf. Mike

Awesome, thanks

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It should have rubber on that post and the bounce out is intended. That post being off center and hidden under the apron is fun as hell because it's random and unexpected when the ball pops back up between the flippers and back into play.
I recently picked up Bone Busters also and am having a blast with it.
Sorry I'm late to this thread. I'll try to help you later as time permits.

Thank you! And yea, great game. I have to wonder how many working, decent shape ones there are still out there. With less than 2k made, and 200 conversion kits to Amazon Hunt III possibly done... then add in attrition over the years. Good chance there aren't a ton of these left. Glad I snagged this one, great game.

#19 6 years ago

Any Bone Busters owners wire up the GI to give the skull some illumination like Todd Tuckey's people did in their BB video? I figure I can just run it off the backbox GI wiring, toss an LED or two up there. Just curious how people did it and if they ran into any issues.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I haven't seen that video but the skull on mine is already be wired. Ole One Eye's head rotates, his jaw moves with speech taunting you and he has two flashers in his head.
Or maybe you're talking about fixed lighting...

Yea, I mean fixed lighting. My flashers, head rotation and jaw all work great. If you google bone busters TNT you'll get the video I'm talking about, it's one of TNT Amusements many videos going over a game they worked on. They added constant lighting (green LED) by installing some bulbs hooked up to the GI. That way he's "always lit" from below and looks a little cooler when he's not talking.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I did exactly that ... Used a comet strip in purple ...

Okay, cool. Did you just run it from the lighting on the backbox I assume?

Quoted from spfxted:

Ahhh, yes, now I remember. I didn't buy it because the dome was missing and the skull didn't work.

I had to take the dome off so it would fit in my game room, but there's just enough clearance for the skull so it fits perfectly. Had to do the same with my Tee'd Off gopher topper. The games look great side-by-side, such great tops. The dome is more to protect it in a public gaming environment (and from dust and such of course). Looks better without it honestly, just have to make sure "old one-eye" doesn't get dusty up there.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Used the matrix system

Not sure what you mean by using the matrix system. I'm an EM guy that recently switched to SS/DMD in the past year or so, so I'm still learning

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

It's basically a wiring system that allows you to do clean installs!
http://www.cometpinball.com

I shop with them all the time for bulbs, never really looked into that, looks pretty cool. If you get a chance, toss up some pics of your wiring, I'd be curious. I think I would use this for some additional playfield lighting. Thanks!

Sidenote... anyone ever lit up Flipper buttons that have that "bakelite" stuff shielding them on the inside of the cabinet? I can post a pic if it helps, but basically on the inside of the cab there's a piece of material that prevents light from getting through. I was tempted to drill it out a little and add a light, but I'm not sure if there's a known method for lighting flipper buttons of this style without replacing them.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

TNT Amusements has done this. They drill a small hole in the plastic bakelite cover and then use a "Bendie" (flexible 90 degree LED) for the illumination.

Excellent, thanks. I'll have to look for that video. I have several games like that now, so it would be a nice little addition.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Pinball Resource also has that part in clear plastic for that purpose.

I haven't seen that before on PBR, I'll look around thanks

EDIT: Found it under the "buttons" area here: http://www.pbresource.com/buttons.html It's called "Clear Strap #GTB-A13898+" Marco has it too, though currently slightly more expensive.

Unfortunately, I don't see it in "double" button format, and since Bone Busters has two buttons on one side, it will take a little figuring out, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. Thanks for the tip!

2 weeks later
#36 6 years ago

Updating: first off, Mike (psd4me) is an awesome guy. He found the bracket I needed in his spare parts pile and sent it my way. No one stocks it anywhere, so it was a game saver. Thanks again Mike!

I ordered an LED strip and matrix setup from comet since I was making another order. Should be fun to try out when it arrives. I replaced the left light tube on the upper playfield as it was burned out (I love that Marco still has light tubes). Also put on the correct pop bumper cap and decal. Looking good.

I lit up the buttons on my Arena using the clear plates described a few posts back. I wired sockets into the coin door bulbs, running the wire cleanly and zip tying to the existing run. Works great. I'll do the same for BB soon.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Where is this light tube located on Bone Busters?

There are two small red light tubes on the red plastic form piece that the ball "jumps" into off the center ramp. I originally thought it was an electric chair, but it might be a "proton pack" that the "Bone Busters" use to bust the skeletons. The two light tubes stick out like guns and light up/flash. They have metal spring-like wiring wrapped around them decoratively.

You can see a pic of them on ipdb here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=347&picno=67788&zoom=1

Only $9 at Marco as of right now, easy to replace. For those curious: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/26511

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bone-busters-questions?tu=MaxAsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.