Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150525_200430024.jpg
IMG_20150515_140134615.jpg
IMG_20150521_212410527.jpg
IMG_20150521_212221150.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So I'm trying to have that Bone Busters I bought last autumn working.
The whole playfield was so sunburnt I had to find a new one, and reinstall all the parts of the first one on it. Almost done.

But the main issue I have is that it doesn't boot.
Or actually, it starts, The lights on the playfield look like a normal attract mode, but there's a permanent beep coming out of the speakers.
Also, what appears on the displays can be totally random. It changes everytime I turn it on.

Here's an illustration :

#2 8 years ago

Maybe a tilt switch (slam or normal) is stuck closed.

#3 8 years ago

Check your connectors, always a problem on 80b's

#4 8 years ago

Well... By tilt switches, slam and normal, you mean those "blade" connectors (absolutely not sure of the term in English, sorry bout that!) and those with a pendulum or a ball on a sort of a gutter?
I checked them... but nothing...

And I've also checked the connectors around the boards in the backbox, using a connection spray, but nothing more... I'll take a bit more time tomorrow.

Thanks anyway, guys.

#5 8 years ago

Those lamps you see on the playfield are driven by a separate chaser board. They operate outside of any CPU control so that has nothing to do with your MPU not booting up.

#6 8 years ago

This machine is rapidly resetting. Power down and pull the reset board connector and briefly turn it back on. You may see other issues once you do this, like locking on of solenoids or other issues.

Power down and disconnect the connector between the MPU and the driver board and power it back up again. Let us know what it does in each case.

Where is the 5V set?

Make sure ground is not floating.

80B games will experience this with too low a +5V. Check it the MPU when adjusting it.

#7 8 years ago

Well, well, well...
I've spent part of the afteroon yesterday replacing the playfield of this machine... I had to do it, it was totally burnt on some parts...
IMG_20150521_212221150.jpgIMG_20150521_212221150.jpg

And doing this, I discovered that some connections had been... let's say "modified"
IMG_20150521_212410527.jpgIMG_20150521_212410527.jpg

So I checked all of that, noticing that some of the welding done could touch the pin next to it.
I thought this could probably be the origin of my problems..

But once I had finished all of that, the issue was still here.

So I checked the +5 supplying the CPU board, and it was a 4.9, so I adjusted it. No change.

and the ground is all good.

SO, a few things to be noted :
IMG_20150515_140134615.jpgIMG_20150515_140134615.jpg

* the red led on the left hand board (?) is on when i start it, but doesn't flicker.
when i booted with the cpu board unconnectd, it did...

* the Eproms seem not to have stickers on them anymore (well, actually, that's a fact).
Could it be the problem??

Quoted from Pinthetic:

Power down and disconnect the connector between the MPU and the driver board and power it back up again. Let us know what it does in each case.

Is the driver board the one below the cpu board?? (I'm sorry, the tech doc i have is only 20 pages long, so I lack a lot of the data on it...)

#8 8 years ago

Is the driver board the one below the cpu board?? (I'm sorry, the tech doc i have is only 20 pages long, so I lack a lot of the data on it...)

Yep.

#9 8 years ago

Okay.
So yeah, no change when I disconnect the CPU board from the Driver board.

yfz450 told me by mp to check the temperature of the riot chips... I've started a quest to know what these are. But I've got my little idea...

#10 8 years ago

Well... My U4 is burning hot after a few seconds on...
I guess my problem could reside around here, don't you think?

#11 8 years ago

Yes, if u4 is very hot, it is probably damaged. The ram i/o shouldn't be hot. Be very careful removing those ic's as you can easily damage the traces if you don't have the proper extraction tools.

#12 8 years ago

Extraction tools..?
Hmmm... You mean after unsoldering the pins, I'll struggle to remove it??
IMG_20150525_200430024.jpgIMG_20150525_200430024.jpg

I probably should find a professional to do that, then..(?)

Should I buy and replace just one?

#13 8 years ago

Check this thread out. It might help you. And it has the problems you are describing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-sound-issues

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bone-busters-not-booting-permanent-beeping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.