Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Leo13
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hi,

I'm working on a playfield and try to make my first repair with sanding the area / applying wood filler/ sanding / painting / clear coating.

However, what is the wood filler you use when you talk about "Bondo" ? Is it something to use with a hardener, or a specific wood filler that dries and harden by itself ?
    I have this wood filler (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elmer-s-Wood-Filler-Max-Stainable-2-oz-E9017/203215979) but it has some particles in it so I don't think this can be used to repair a playfield.

Vid, Bryan, what is the bondo you are talking about ?

Thanks for your help !

#2 9 years ago

Bondo is a brand name for a an automotive filler putty. I think it's owned by 3M. It's not marketed as something for wood, but it's pretty general purpose.

#3 9 years ago

You can find it at most auto parts stores. It's a two part compound you combine before filling. It hardens hard as hell. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007ZG9TO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/186-0186537-8600353

#4 9 years ago

You can buy it at wal-mart in the auto section. No need to go to an auto store.

Be careful to NOT get one with "fiber" of any kind in it. Many have short or long strands of fiberglass that are great if you are trying to fill a big hole in a car fender, but are not good if you are trying to fill a divot in wood. The fiber makes it hard to sand smooth and hard to apply in a thin layer.

I would highly recommend you mix up several small batches of the stuff to practice with before you use it. You only have a very short time window after mixing it up to apply it.

But it is great stuff, really good for repairing wood damage around your home. Like outside window sills.

#5 9 years ago

And pay attention to how much hardner you use. Too much and it will harden too soon sometimes while mixing in warm weather. Not enough and it takes a long time to really kick. Room temp will also effect it.

#6 9 years ago

If it's an automotive product, that explains why I was lost today in home depot...

So mixing with a hardener is mandatory ? What is the commonly used ratio between the paste and the hardener ?

#7 9 years ago

I think they say use a 2 inch strip of hardener with a golfball sized amount of bondo but I think that makes it a little bit to fast.

#8 9 years ago

Home Depot carries it, in the paint section. Directions on the package.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Bondo is a brand name for a an automotive filler putty. I think it's owned by 3M. It's not marketed as something for wood, but it's pretty general purpose.

You are correct - 3M bought bondo a few years ago. I've been to the plant a few times...

Quoted from Leo13:

If it's an automotive product, that explains why I was lost today in home depot...
    So mixing with a hardener is mandatory ? What is the commonly used ratio between the paste and the hardener ?

The ratio in normal temperature conditions is 50. Good luck getting that measured accurately. Most technicians put a big blob of the filler down and then draw a line of the catalyst across the top and then mix it together. Go heavier on the catalyst (but not too heavy) if you are working in cold weather or lighter if you are working in hot weather. The more catalyst you add the faster it will harden and the quicker you can start sanding. Like I said though, don't add too much catalyst or that can have long term issues.

#10 9 years ago

You will get a feel for how much for a ratio.

The mental image I have is a golf ball size blob and ~1" line of hardener. But the 1" of hardener varies by how wide the line is, so once again, experiment.

You don't get much working time with this stuff. Get a good set-up for mixing it fast, but very well. I like steel putty knifes on a a piece of smooth scrap wood. You must be able to scrap up and mix around the material quickly. I have seen people try to use marginal mixing tools and cardboard as a surface, it just does not work well. Either the mix is not homogenous or it takes them too long and they lose valuable working time to apply the stuff.

You can clean up your tools easily if you time it right. The stuff gets firm and not sticky after a few minutes of setting up, but not hard. You can easily scrap your steel tools clean with a razor blade and they are ready to go.

I like to mix several very small batches and build up an area.

#11 9 years ago

If you're trying to fill a smaller divot or something, I wouldn't bother with the two-part stuff; the glazing compound/spot filler putty that comes in a tube is perfect for that kind of stuff.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

If you're trying to fill a smaller divot or something, I wouldn't bother with the two-part stuff; the glazing compound/spot filler putty that comes in a tube is perfect for that kind of stuff.

That would have been my next question, because the job I have to do is pretty small, but you answered before I asked !

So if this one works, I will probably go for it:
    http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9878013/00828

#13 9 years ago

For wood, I use PC-Lumber, I'm sure there are other 2-part epoxy products like it:

ebay.com link: like

I should think JB-weld would be good too:

ebay.com link: J B Weld 8265 S Epoxy Adhesive Original Steel Reinforced

#14 9 years ago

What makes bondo great is how fast it sets up and it does not shrink at all. You can put on primer/paint coat ~15-30 minutes after you have applied the bondo. It sets up hard really quickly.

Also bondo has a very narrow window when it is curing where it is like wax in consistency. If you are paying attention you can take a razor and cut the excess off flush with the surface you are filling and it will be a nice smooth surface with no need for sanding. Great for fast filling divots in a cabinet.

The problem is if you wait until the bondo is fully set-up. It will be much harder than the wood in the cabinet and is very hard to sand flush. The wood will sand away quicker compared to the bondo and the bondo will end up being a high spot.

#15 9 years ago

I thought this was the correct 3M Bondo. It says it is for wood. I am not sure how it differs from the automotive product.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZG9T4/ref=sr_ph

#16 9 years ago

To the best of my knowledge, the auto product uses microbeads as filler and the wood product uses sawdust as filler. The one you linked to will work just fine.

#17 9 years ago

Thanks guys for your replies, great help !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bondo-what-do-you-mean-precisely and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.