(Topic ID: 99661)

"Bondic" Ambroid Pro weld alternative (fix ramps and plastics)

By webdiddy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ls1chris
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0736.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I just got a ramp cracked in my STTNG, I was not able to find Ambroid Pro weld in my city and decided to try a alternative, Bondic.

The bonding liquid stays in liquid form until you shine UV light on it, it's supposed to be able to stay liquid for years without UV light, with UV light it hardens within seconds. The "weld" is clear with a slightly yellow tint to it. I have had good results so far, especially on clear plastics. You can build it in layers adding more and more as you go.

I also used Bondic on a couple of the subways below the playfield that had hairline cracks in them to hopefully prevent them from cracking more. I have also used it to fix one of my cracked plastics.

I made a small youtube video you can find below:

#2 5 years ago

Nice video. Probably a much better solution than the packing tape holding my party zone ramps together!

Is the second half of that video shot with a head-mounted camera?

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#3 5 years ago

Good timing. The ramp on my Special Force just cracked, and I was looking for something to fix it. It is a hairline crack but is starting to separate. How did it work out for you on the hairline cracks?

#4 5 years ago

this is cool I just order a starter kit

#5 5 years ago

I applaud your video and sharing.
I personally would have removed the ramp from the machine to get a cleaner job.

#6 5 years ago

I'm glad you like my video!

Quoted from rkahr:

Is the second half of that video shot with a head-mounted camera?

Yes, filmed with a head mounted gopro.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Good timing. The ramp on my Special Force just cracked, and I was looking for something to fix it. It is a hairline crack but is starting to separate. How did it work out for you on the hairline cracks?

It's laying on top of my hairline cracks but hopefully it will reinforce them. If you crack is starting to seperate you might be able to get some of the bondic in the crack to make it even more sturdy.

Quoted from Turboderf:

this is cool I just order a starter kit

Hope you'll like it!

Quoted from Zitt:

I applaud your video and sharing.
I personally would have removed the ramp from the machine to get a cleaner job.

Yeah, you probably should but my crack was in a spot that isn't very noticeable if you're not looking for it so I didn't bother.

#7 5 years ago

I just ordered the starter kit as well. I'll report back though shipping seems on the longish side.

#8 5 years ago

Cool; I will be ordering a starter kit as well this morning... though I don't have anything to fix at the moment.

I am sure that will change... enough stuff breaks around my house.

#9 5 years ago

I have to fix a apron / ramp on black water 100 I will let you know how it works out

2 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

I just used the Bondic to repair some cracks in the ramp of my Special Force. I forgot to take a before picture, but here are the after pictures. Not too bad.

IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG

The crack had separated, so I was able to get the material right in there. Then I added some more layers on the back for reinforcement.

IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0735.JPG
#11 5 years ago

The last two pictures show another hairline crack that I discovered -- this time on a clear part of the plastic ramp. The first shows the before. The second shows the after. I wasn't able to get Bondic directly in the crack but I overlayed it with a Q-Tip. As you can see, the Bondic is barely visible. Though time will tell as to whether it strengthens the area.

2 weeks later
#12 5 years ago

I got a chance to use the Bondic glue kit on black water 100 and it work very well Thanks for posting

#13 5 years ago

I have used mine on a few around the house repairs. So far so good, the only thing it failed miserably on was the first plastic I tried... where I forgot the sanding step

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

I got a chance to use the Bondic glue kit on black water 100 and it work very well Thanks for posting

Where did you get it. The web site allows you to add to cart, but there is no cart.

1 week later
#15 5 years ago

I got a hold of them on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Bondic

1 week later
#16 5 years ago

Anyone been able to order this? Web site doesn't work, phone goes to voice mail. No answer on FB.

6 months later
#17 4 years ago

Tried some last night--Bondic is amazing...Strong, yet flexible and easy to use. The only complaint I have is that I only have two hands, so I ended up "tacking" the two discrete pieces into position using a dab of super glue...Then following up with Bondic to properly repair the joined piece.

#18 4 years ago

I did get some, and it works great! I have used it several times now, and as long as the light will shine through the material to the glue, it makes a very strong bond.

1 week later
#20 4 years ago

I saw this stuff on an episode of Shark Tank. I have no idea what episode it was unfortunately.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

I saw this stuff on an episode of Shark Tank. I have no idea what episode it was unfortunately.

Really, did any of the sharks bite?

1 month later
#22 4 years ago

I bought some Bondic a couple of months ago and finally had a chance to use it today on a ramp repair. It works great, exactly as advertised. It's great for people like me who aren't particularly patient.

2 months later
#23 4 years ago

I'm starting to wonder about the longevity of Bondic as a fix. I just had to re-repair my ramp for the second time with the stuff. Both times, after using it, the ramp seems solid, but then a few months later, the crack separates again. Can anyone else report back on whether they are having issues several months after using it?

#24 4 years ago

Same experience here. Poor adhesion and failed joints. Cool stuff, but not a strong long term fix

#25 4 years ago

Anyone use Same Stuff? It's marketed as the same thing as Ambroid. I'm on my last half bottle of Ambroid and will need to join the alternative train soon. Ambroid is like $40 on Ebay now.

#26 4 years ago

@nokoro and @imeh, can you provide photos of the type of repair you did and explain how the area was prepped.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

@nokoro and @imeh, can you provide photos of the type of repair you did and explain how the area was prepped.

My photos are earlier in the thread. I believe I originally tried to sand the area just a bit, but maybe I didn't do it enough. If it splits again, I'll try one more time with more sanding. Then I'm moving on to other solutions.

Have you used used Bondic with better results, Terry?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Have you used used Bondic with better results, Terry?

Yes and no-but the same applies to ambroid, super glue and other similar products. It really depends on the type of damage and where the damage is. For cracks I use a small dremel bit to make a V shape in the plastic (don't go all the way through) and then sand the area I just used the grinder. You want some tooth and you don't want any bits of hazy plastic that will stand-out after you're done. Cutting the V gives you a larger area for bonding.

If the ball is constantly hitting the area it's going to crack again with any solution that is cosmetically appealing. The trade-off is better looking, more fragile and worse looking, less fragile. Some resin and fiberglass and you can fix a ramp so it will last forever, but it won't look very good.

Also make sure when you mount the plastic that it isn't being stressed--pulled into position or distorted by the screws. If it's cracked all the way to the edge, the repair is unlikely to last without some other type of reinforcement.

Do you have a photo of where the plastic cracked again. It helps to see it before the repair.

#29 4 years ago

I'll take a photo if and when it cracks again. I was thinking about trying to reinforce the back perhaps with some fiberglass since it is a bit opaque in that area. I don't think it would be noticeable. The crack does go to the edge so perhaps it does need this further reinforcement.

In my very first photo you can see the crack. It basically separates along that line with the top part pushing out a bit.

#30 4 years ago

I would reinforce the back if you can: fiberglass cloth and resin works wonder.

#31 4 years ago

Yes, I can also confirm that it's not a long term fix, this is to bad because I was really happy to have found this at first.

#32 4 years ago

Depends on what you are fixing; if you are fixing something that is broken because a steel ball smashes against it again and again... yes it is going to fail.

Other things you just need a quick fix on that are not repeatedly stressed fare better (I have done a few pinball fixes, and some small things around the house like broken toys etc.).

It is not stronger than metal welding two things together, or building up a bunch of resin/fiberglass, but nobody really expected that I hope?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Depends on what you are fixing; if you are fixing something that is broken because a steel ball smashes against it again and again... yes it is going to fail.
Other things you just need a quick fix on that are not repeatedly stressed fare better (I have done a few pinball fixes, and some small things around the house like broken toys etc.).
It is not stronger than metal welding two things together, or building up a bunch of resin/fiberglass, but nobody really expected that I hope?

You're right about that, it's good for small fixes, you just have to make sure you really get that UV light on all of the bondic or else it's never going to cure.

4 weeks later
#34 4 years ago

Bondic Starter Kit is on Sale today on Rakuten.com (buy.com) for $15.99 with free shipping.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/bondic-complete-starter-kit/283916609.html

1 year later
#35 2 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I would reinforce the back if you can: fiberglass cloth and resin works wonder.

Where would one buy this, and are there any brands or types to get? I asked at Lowe's but they only had stuff for drywall and didn't think it would help.

#36 2 years ago
#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Where would one buy this, and are there any brands or types to get? I asked at Lowe's but they only had stuff for drywall and didn't think it would help.

Look for it at a marine/boat repair store or an auto parts store.
Something similar to this:

amazon.com link »

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Look for it at a marine/boat repair store or an auto parts store.
Something similar to this:
amazon.com link ยป

Thanks!

#39 2 years ago

i get this stuff at wall mart

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside