FB2C5C38-17F0-45D4-BCED-57EF94539DCE (resized).jpeg
E873B6CA-F0F2-4C5E-8589-E5B0B96E2CAF (resized).jpeg
ABFA1B74-F8DD-4DAE-B74F-110B222F23D0 (resized).jpeg
A8461CA8-3529-4922-9A2F-EEB6517CA7A5 (resized).jpeg
20221216_225500 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 VIDEO: Bond Game Trailer 9-22-22 Posted by mrossman5 (1 year ago)

Post #744 First pics Posted by Marv (1 year ago)

Post #4724 VIDEO: Live gameplay from London 9-26-22 Posted by KevInBuffalo (1 year ago)

Post #5159 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by J85M (1 year ago)

Post #7103 James Bond club thread Posted by Daditude (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1523 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Stern is at London IAAPA right now in the middle of the celebration of the Queen's life. Even if some of us either A) don't understand the Royal Family, B) think it's pointless, or C) just don't care, it doesn't discount the fact that millions of people do... especially right where they happen to be at a trade show right now. It's a sign of respect and class and all us Americans have to do is wait another 7 days for a toy that's already late.

Meh...

Unless you skip the show all together, it's stupid to be at a show whose sole purpose is sales and promotion.. and pretend not to sell or promote. They could do their launch at home/online and keep their show presence low-key vs hoopla in person.

#1558 1 year ago

It's interesting to see them centering on these Bond films which aren't really the most well known or iconic.

(ETA for clarity - I mean the cabinet packages)

Add me to the list of poo'ing on that Dr No translite.. and I'm someone who uses Bond names for all my test account and project names.

I do love the idea of so many different ball paths.. but man, the very first two photos seen and it screamed DE/Sega art direction. I really want to see this thing playing though. Translites are easily replaced.

#1565 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

This game includes all 6 official Sean Connery James Bond movies. Those are not iconic? Goldfinger is not iconic?

I was referring to the cabinet art packages and the translite.

Trust me, I love Dr No... but I would never take a 50+yr old ad style as the most visible portion of my game. I'm thinking about how this game will work in the lineup trying to grab people aged 45 and younger and kids 6-12.

Not even marketing 'this is the newest pinball!' works.. they still put in quarters based on what their eyeballs draw them to.

#1567 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every single one of those movies is "iconic" in one way or another for fans of the series.

The pinball isn't going to draw fans of the series out to play it. When it's lined up along side GOTG, Deadpool, Mandalorian, etc I fear people won't give it a try.

Playing off Bond's name or the iconic 007 would have been better than 'Dr No' taking up 40% of the screen and being the sole attempt at name/label recognition.

I wasn't kidding.. these are accounts in my test orgs..
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 2.11.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-13 at 2.11.04 PM.png

Connery is my favorite Bond.. the style and formula of the films like Thunderball are immortal to me... but I still would not have gone with a translite like that.

#1569 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I was told that the leaked photos where the reason they pulled the game

Wow, that's some new fingerpointing by them. Upset over spy photos just 24hrs from reveal? That likely just stuffed the distributor lists even more? And didn't make noise outside of pinball circles?

Some serious butthurt going on there... or desperate excuse making.

#1578 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The Kanadafication of the hobby hasn't helped anybody.
Any glory you get from leaking a shitty photo you know you aren't supposed to take lasts about 20 minutes, and beyond that nobody even remembers you did it.
We all know by this point that Stern doesn't want people doing this shit. But they keep doing it.
Actions have consequences.
That being said, the Queen is still dead, right? I buy their cover story! It's plausible!

Bleh... the leaks and whispers have been going on forever. Difference here is only the commoditization of access to the whispers. It's freaking Stern themselves who talk to all their buddies and strategically leak stuff anyway. The podcaster doofus has nothing to do with the rise or fall of this stuff. He's been manipulated by these folks for their benefit even.

#1581 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Maybe, lots of people in the decision making process, licensor, Stern, Distro, not sure who made the call; but I feel a little bit for Stern and EC - they trusted someone with access who screwed them - Could be the leak tipped over the Licensor (who are a British organisation) and they played it safe.

I can understand if the licensor had feathers ruffled and they have to do damage control in some way... but sure still sounds like a goofy PR move. Best way to squash undesirable info is to steamroll it with a wave of desirable information. As Levi said, once the onslaught of 'good' details and info is available, the leak stuff is always forgotten. It's not like it's early prototypes, etc.

I could understand more if it's promotion by people NOT STERN that is actually the real conflict. Trying to do a media push from those companies during this period.. that to me is far more convincing.

I mean, lets be real.. one week isn't enough time to actually change anything and have it be included in all the media that has already been staged. Video shoots, etc. So I don't believe there is much weight to delays being tied to needing to react to something.

#1583 1 year ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Stern, whether intentional or not, UNVEILED this game when they put it out on the floor of a convention.

The show floor BEFORE THE SHOW OPENS is supposed to be secure and people are not supposed to leak out information. It's obviously a topic that is tough to manage given the environment, but it should not in anyway be considered a voluntary reveal.

I mean we see in the photos the person is wearing a hi-viz vest. But we also see people working on the games, so whomever Stern had onsite to setup the games could have been more assertive about keeping the games from being photographed to that detail.

#1591 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don't see the point. Stop being dicks for 5 minutes of internet glory. We don't need it. We'd all be happier right now if the actual planned reveal were happening, right?

Now Confirmed.. the queen's preview of Stern's Bond killed her.

#1595 1 year ago
Quoted from Fizz:

You may be right, I'm not privy to Stern's agreements with the venue/convention or any of the workers within. If they had confidentiality agreements with all of them, including everyone inside from all different companies setting up their own booths, then yes this could be considered a leak.
I'm guessing the show's organizers do not guarantee confidentiality during show setup.

No, the opposite. This is not something unique to Stern or pinball... but every trade show. It's limited access and people are not supposed to disclose what is seen. It's hundreds of companies and thousands of people, so it's not like each person sits down and signs a NDA each.. but it's part of your agreement with the show as being a vendor/etc. And as an attendee at the show, you regulate yourself because you don't want the same thing done to you.

Everyone looks around, everyone takes notice in what's in booths, but you don't go and post online about it.

#1604 1 year ago
Quoted from Lounge:

You really think this is about the queen?

well... depending on your expectation of press exposure, it could very much be a thing. Big topic to compete with and tone conflict... but I think a lot of it has to do with where you are in the world. Most of us in the states don't see it as a big sink... so we assume Stern is the same.. but what about the other parties involved? That I can understand and them wanting a more open field to play in.

I don't buy one bit about it being 'respect' - If anything it would be rooted in just good PR management.

#1650 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

apparently, no one has heard of these large blanket like devices (I think they're actually called "blankets"). they can cover up objects as big as houses (or even larger.
if there were rules to be followed, why didn't they just put up some scaffolding around the booth area with cloth concealing things that weren't meant to be seen until the show started? I've been to plenty of trade shows where they've done this.

You can see the photos were taken during setup of the games (there is still foam and a level on the PF ).

You normally don't need to create separate stealth booths to hide stuff unless you are being super paranoid.. you just cover it up when you are done because it's not hard to keep people away while you are standing there. But here we have photos taken during that setup period. For all we know, this could have been someone besides Stern setting up the game (distributor/vendor) and they simply didn't keep people away as Stern might have intended... or even people within their own group sharing the photos.

Common Example: Distributor handles receiving and setup.. Stern folks just roll in to confirm things and man the booth.

TLDR - Maybe those involved simply weren't as diligent on privacy as Stern was expecting them to be...

#1652 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I have been to many a trade show - have never heard of one where employees of a company aren't allowed to be with their own equipment.
Even if not the case - it could have stayed in box. There is no excuse.

'be with' - yes.. Move and setup large bulky items? Hello Mr Union!

In many towns we aren't allowed to pickup anything over a certain weight limit. That all has to be union folks. Doesn't matter if it's a simple piece of furniture, or a 300k core router.

My guess is it was the distributor who was doing the unboxing.

#1664 1 year ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

The James Bond social media accounts are all posting about the rerelease of Goldeneye 007 today. Promotion doesn’t seem to be an issue for video games, but somehow it is for a pinball machine?
https://twitter.com/007/status/1569710489290305543[quoted image]

Guess they didn't get the memo!

#1670 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Depends on where the reveal is taking place. I doubt Goldeneye is hosting an event in UK, or anywhere else for that matter.
Whereas Stern is in the UK

Stern is at a tradeshow in the UK... unless there is some huge party/event none of us know about this line of thinking makes no sense.

The tradeshow is still going on - so that's not cancelled
Stern's launches are an online thing - so in the UK or whatever doesn't matter

#1675 1 year ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Where in this country can you not move your own furniture? First time I have ever heard anything like that.

Union shop rules.

If your venue is a union shop, you play by their rules.. which for this discussion basically mean "Union work can only be done by union workers". Moving freight, installing stuff, electrical, etc are all unionized.

The common jokes are like you can't stand on a ladder, you can't move that box, you can't plug that in, etc etc.

I've never ran a tradeshow in the UK, but given the strong labor laws there, I'm sure there are parallels.

#1813 1 year ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

There’s only 2 categories of people complaining about the art. Those who weren’t yet in the hobby to witness the AC/DC reveal, and the game’s immediate dismissal over the Angus Face. And those who were, but are doomed to never learn from the mistakes of the past.

No - the game legit sucked at that point

Wasn’t till lyman reworked the software and premiums were widespread that people could forget the dumpster fire that was the initial launch and pro look

Acdc was another game saved by lyman code evolution. It was just a lot faster to mature than other horses in that stable.

The story is still the same…, a great game can overcome bad art. Take your pick of recent examples…. Tron, got, acdc, etc

Doesn’t make the art any better

#1878 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

In all seriousness though, your post nailed it.

Yes, the new rule should be no posts until you have your game in hand.

Make it so.

/s

#2308 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Odd there is a target plastic riveted to hood of tank car.

2022’s new definition of ‘drop target’

From the jet pack

#2653 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

So the forth surprise might just be no price increase?

6txoby (resized).jpeg6txoby (resized).jpeg
#2756 1 year ago
Quoted from wyopin:

How about 2 different LE art packages…one Thunderball, one Goldfinger…500 of each? Stern has never done it before, but that might be kind of fun.

Ac/dc would like a word with you…
Transformers too…
And xmen…
And avengers

#2870 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

will depend on what the Bond LE has included. Rush LE was that high because they also charged for the expressive lighting. ~$500 kit? Unless that was going to be their new LE price with or without that inclusion

Stern never discounts title to title based on what's actually in the game... when a new price point is set.. it's set.

#3431 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

First local arcade in the DC/Baltimore metro to secure this gets a visit from me and too many beer purchases for one visit!

Well you know where to plan your visit to dulles then

#3500 1 year ago

How do they put that big side armor on a LE and NOT custom cut it?

Feature left out for the SLE?

#3537 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Or they should just give more allocation to legitimate deals like ZMeny Flip N Out pinball and the other good ones and not piss people off by selling out before their counter reaches 0.

But then you don't have the marketing story that "the game sold out in a minute"...
.. you don't have the option to market the buying opportunity for your Insider Program...
.. you don't have a URL/page to include in all your launch campaign to point to that when people open they see 'sold out' and feed the FOMO

People with their panties in a bunch over the direct sales allotment need to chill the F out. It's a token effort done primarily for marketing reasons - it's not changing the way 99% of people buy their games. Just get over it and focus on finding a distributor you can work with.

#3569 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

The irony about the "insider" LE games that were snapped up this morning in less than one minute (I missed out) is that Stern is charging state sales tax ($1,000 for some) but if you ordered from an out of state dealer they would not charge that. So you end up paying MORE to get it direct from Stern (than if you can get MSRP from a dealer).

totally depends on the dealer and your state. But in general.. consider those tax free days numbered.

#3779 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Wondering if the shot around the rocket will come back to the flippers or if it just rattles around behind the rocket as shown in the video

Its meant to rattle. Those are standup targets all around the rocket loop. The rocket rattles to try to make the targets.

Think like the crane in junkyard

#3785 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Stainless Steel rocket confirmed on the premium and LE per the stern game flyer. It doesn’t say on the Pro flyer.

No - stainless steel GANTRY- aka the tower with the vuk, rails and lock.

The pro just has a decoration plastic

They are not talking about the rocket (even tho the photo is centered on the rocket itself)

Eta- see you saw this in later posts…

#3786 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I was looking at that. It says "Stainless steel 'Bird One' Gantry with diverter and 3 ball lock." I'm guessing the silver part of the missile is a plastic shell and probably something more solid on the bottom where the ball actually hits it.

Gantry is the tower building- thats what ghe matrix and flyer are referring to.

#4350 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Or choking the market? Or making an le that sells for 30% more on the sec market? Promoting inflation.
It is a path of self destruction? Really, at this pace the next step is a prem for $10.5
The value is not there, It really isnt worth that, nor it is 9.5 but how far it will go will continue to be dictated by the willingness of this niche.

The exact same things were said when nib pins were 3x00 and people line Jack G said ‘bullshit’ and set out to show there was such a customer base out there willing to pay so much more.

Now here we are where jack has more than doubled his initial WAG on what an utopian pin could sell for.

#4523 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I'm trying to figure out why they went with the wibbily wobbily 'Soviet dildo' rocket when in the movie, the spaceship opens up and swallows other spaceships (see photo), which is very cool.
In a pinball game, this mechanic would be very appealing; the rocket could open up and swallow balls, either as a hazard or to lock balls. Then spit them out for multiball.
Seems like a missed opportunity to me.[quoted image]

The impending rocket launch is so typical bond/spy flick though. Still an easy hit.

#4526 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The wobble rocket isn't a great visual, although I guess maybe it helps knock the ball into the targets you need?

Yes, you can see all the targets around it... it's a mix master, potc tortogua, etc kind of setup. You put the ball up there and try to get action.

#4561 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes I work for stern.

The correct answer is "I am Gary Stern!"

#4566 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

It's not a signal of the four horseman drawing near as many people seem to be misled.

Thing is... it's a tool that is only as dangerous as Stern makes it. So you'll always have the 'what ifs...' until Stern actually does it.

Considering the horrid experience Stern has built to date with it being free, I don't really doubt it will take Stern charging to actually invest enough to make it what it should be. It's just a question of what path they take...

#4743 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

It was made private.... meaning that whoever posted the video had to manually turn the video private.
Meaning..
Stern did not issue a DMCA request
Wasn't YouTube who did it
Also means that it wasn't deleted.
(if anyone cares)

Just look at pinballnews's facebook post - this is not some big mystery.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.56.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.56.34 PM (resized).png

They posted a video, obviously someone asked them to take it down, so they did. Probably a simple request to ask them to wait until the game is updated because he already said he hopes to get new video soon.

This is dead simple... Stern just asking to not have their ugly side shown by Martin.

#4764 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Again without knowing more, hard to beat on one guy.
When the boss states SHIP IT, you ship it regardless if cleaned up or not. Some coders left to their own devices will noodle about forever.

1 - his pattern of results speaks for itself
2 - Everyone and their mother has known that the timeframe for the game's launch was august... so don't you think internally they knew that date a long time ago? The pressure of a deadline isn't something unique here and the reveal is even later than initially planned, not early.

Sure the problem could have been assets coming in late or other late changes to the game - but the track record isn't great.

#4768 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

So now you are blaming the release delay on Lonnie...lol, and you wonder why most pinball employees stay away from Pinside.

Are you high?

I said the release is even later.. meaning they had more time than originally planned.

#4777 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

No. Is this your default question when someone misunderstands you?

Is it your default position to attack people when responding to the examples they gave?

Quoted from Palmer:

You realize you were making two points and it's pretty easy to make the jump. You start with "his pattern of results speaks for itself" and you end with "but the track record isn't great."

Srsly? You need the crayola version? Yes, his track record of projects speak for themselves (the conversation was replying to someone trying to counter criticism of his games). You really should try reading the stuff in the quote box ALONG with the post. You might follow along better.

#4779 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah I'm sure Stern planned this release into their schedule years ago. And then during the project, the lead designer/project-manager quit Stern...
So then Gomez had to come in and make a new design, which delayed the software team from having a whitewood to prototype code ideas on.

I'm sure there was some impact, but remember Richie left Stern over a year ago. The usual design cycle is about a year. The impact to the schedule was... over a year ago. And well AFTER that Stern still confirmed an August time frame for the cornerstone game (earlier this year). So I'd question that being much towards why the software is so late.

#4781 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

[quoted image]

Don't start what you can't finish.

You come at people, they aren't obligated to kiss your butt.

#4789 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Ritchie left a year ago, but it was also several months after LZ shipped. So a lot of work, beyond a layout, was likely scrapped.
Ritchie was on a longer cycle than others. Possibly because he was often tied to notoriously difficult license holders with slow approvals processes? And if this game is going to go to town slicing and dicing footage, I can see the approvals taking a lot of extra time in the software development process which was already behind schedule from the change in leads. (and this is without getting into how Stern's resources were also trying to roll out updates to all the IC games this past year)
Like I'm not saying it's good that Stern does this. I think Stern does a disservice to themselves and I think it really hurt the sales of a game like Stranger Things. But I'm pass the point of caring too much about it because Stern has been overall pretty great about long term code support in the Spike era.

Even if all that goes as you postulated... All of that would have been known over a year ago. Meaning you have plenty of time to adapt your plan to make your target. No one is springing last minute deadlines on the project... and in fact most of the stuff you outline would been known long ago meaning MORE time to adapt and overcome.

Maybe their last minute code update is night and day different... but I'm not holding my breath. This project is months behind schedule and the software seems immature still.

Both deadpool and stranger things were pretty forgetable to me due to their code. It's really taken a lot of time to get them to redemption.

We already have a Pro and Premium on the way... so it better earn its keep.

#4863 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

-Does the jetpack do anything?

Why do you keep saying this? We know its a timed/controlled drop effect

#5029 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you're an operator with a location, late Nov for the Pro. If you're a home user, you *might* get one out of that small operator-only run (according to Gomez, but I think he's just dressing up a pretty dire situation for home use Pros), but most will be waiting until April 2023 for a Pro. LE and Prem are December.

Stern runs a batch for locations. Distros have their ops they have on the early run list. If that audience doesn’t buy out the inventory the distros sell the early pros to their normal non-op customers. So its just a question of the run selling out to the short list. We usually see a few of the run goto non ops… but small numbers

Edit: (redundant post now )

#5052 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Absolutely. Spike 2 as a platform is much more than simply their own version of a raspberry pi. Flexibility and standards in code is how they can release updates for all 16 games at once, or roll out a whole new online platform like insider connected.

Yhe point being referenced here is the team in question have been known not just to reuse common libraries but to literally have started from a previous build and just hack at it because all the prior games assets (game specific) are still in the build at freaking GA.

That’s not reuse - that is fork and hack.

#5118 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, that surprised me about GZ when I finally got to play it. Interesting to hear Rush is the same - not usually the case with Borg.

lots of EBs to be had... a player awarded ball save... no real unsafe ball returns/feeds except the time-machine dead-end. It's one of those games that can be brutal, but if you are in a groove it will be a long game.

Modern sterns have such gracious ball-saves during nearly any time during a game it contributes to the trend in general.

#5179 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

The livestream has been up in the air because there are license approvals pending. The gameplay on the stern site has audio muted for the same reason. I would wait to see how video and music are used once we get to the official livestream or have more info on the approval holdups.

Hate to break it to you… but there is a lot more than approvals keeping these things from being revealed.

They are making these huge disclaimers because it’s not there yet

#5180 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Same thing with BM66. Not sure which had less code at launch.

Major villain modes were there… mb… and the bat mobile mode was too iirc. It actually filled the screen too

Quoted from iceman44:

That was Lyman, but to comment on the current status of the code is ridiculous.

No, blowing deadlines and still taking people’s money and still having a reveal with a game in such bad state is ridiculous.

Stern got mounds of hell for it in the past and rightfully so. So when they regress and do it again the scrutiny is warranted.

#5215 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the 60th anniversary game was a money grab to help offset the reduced number of games produced this year. I am assuming it will have enormous margins and each game sold will count for 2 or 3 of a standard game

Dunno man... the development costs for a game are still pretty high and don't scale down the same as your COGs for the game itself. When you put a limit on the volume of the product you dramatically reduce the ability to amortize the cost of the development over the run. So your margin per game is worse, and the upside you have from sales profits is finite. Then there is the lost opportunity cost from running these games vs other games.

I think they'd be better off just running games that have already paid for themselves and have parts that you can readily source.

#5348 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

This would require more than a spring for it to change speed or intensity.
Surprised nobody asked George about this on any of the podcasts.

You can tell from the design and videos it is s powered device. Its job is to bang the ball into yhe stationary targets around it.

It is not just tie fighter on spring

#5377 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That’s what I was thinking all along but if you slow the video down makes you think twice as there is a good bit of wobble even when no ball in that area.

because it's powered and not just moving because the ball hit it. It's animated for effects.

#5406 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So your saying it’s animated at all times and not when in that mode or Multiball sequence?
I think at best it animated during launch of MB and wiggles and jiggles do to kinetic energy and nudging at other times.

I think its something like a spring supported pivoting/shifting mech with a kicker that can instigate movement for boosts and animation. Think afm saucer… but intended to interact with the ball itself.

#5670 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Violence and murder

he's licensed to kill.. duh

Also, there is a subconcious difference between the 'good guy' doing something vs 'the bad guy' doing something.

Simply put... bad guy rapes someone... well he's the bad guy. Good Guy rapes someone as part of his character traits... that is where 2000s behavior inspection conflicts.

one behavior is celebrated/admired.. the other is part of why they are 'the bad guy'

#5860 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

now that could be a deal breaker.They should have mentioned that before taking money

They did.. the Insider Connected features were mentioned from the get go.

'Missions' could be as simple as getting achievements or getting new objectives to chase (as Achievements) from Insider Connected. Or it could simply be new deliverables via pushes from Insider Connected like awards/mini-modes whatever.

#6106 1 year ago

game has been live for hours in Chicago.. and no expo people posting? tsk tsk

#6258 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I feel like Gomez recent games tend to have longer ball times. Deadpool, BM66, this it seems.

Three words...

Add-A-Ball

#6303 1 year ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Good points.. there’s no excuse, really. it’s all software and can be developed the same way a Jukebox option is inserted into code.. at the very least they could just be sure all new code improvements can still be opened in Pinball Browser.. it would just take a minute for the programmer to check that and especially if now Gomez admitted the song licenses are too expensive even though the game is costing us a fortune. They could just design it, leave the music out of that mode and make no assertion that Goldfinger should be inserted there, for example, let us do it. Easier to code too. Fact: There’s no music for the mode in the code already! So note to Gomez, just leave it as it is and please just make sure we can add it if desired.

‘No reason’ except the IP holder who wants to control how their property is represented and portrayed.

#6385 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wow, so on the Premium and LE you get home pin tech? To save what - a node board? Wonder if they are on one coil also?

It suggests not a cost reduction but in fact... filling up what they normally have (two node boards) and running out of capacity.

#6388 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Well, sort of cost reduction - they could have used another node board (maybe a smaller one if they have one>??), but obviously was decided the cost wasn't worth it. And probably rightly so - no one cares about pops anyway

Reduction means to take away... here if it stays true they are on the same switch circuit, it simply means they decided another switch location was more important than the pop... and too important to cost out. It makes no sense to include a large driver board for a single driver or switch... normally they would be forced to give something up to stay within the budget of two driver boards.

Will be interesting to see once the manuals post.

#6417 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

So they're putting the same cost-cutting measures that are in a homepin in a cornerstone?

No, a home pin has One driver node board to drive the whole game - A Cornerstone has two plus specialty boards.

You have to fit all your switches and coils within those.

The 'cost cutting' on a Home pin is dropping the node board - They didn't do that in Bond.

#6418 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Oh crap, you're right. That just doesn't make any sense. Why not have them tied together on all 3 models if they are going to do it at all?

Because the node boards are full with OTHER stuff that is in a premium that isn't in a pro?

Why is this hard for people to grasp? Fixed # of drivers available... pick how you use them.

#6464 1 year ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I'm wondering what is using all the drivers. Each node board can drive 9, so 18 total. On the photo of the underside I count 15 visible coils. If the two pops share the same driver, then that should leave 4 drivers for Bond on a wand. Seems high. Will be interesting to see once they release the manual.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bond-james-bond-stern-007-hype-club/page/130?gallery&galleryp=10

Can be switches too… our grainy photo is kinda inconclusive i think.

#6506 1 year ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Everyone hated BM66 until the full code came out. Premiums were selling as low as $6500 for catwoman editions. Now $10k won’t buy you one

More like a case of 'buyers remorse' and the idea of inventory tipping the balance. The games were not being dumped. The game code really pivoted in 2017 and in 2018 the code was flushed out. Catwoman games were done in the summer of 2019 as a re-run. Whenever a game is re-ran it temporarily impacts prices as the dump of new inventory impacts availability. By 2019 we are in the market where people buy the hype on everything... so tons of people buy catwoman... and in turn tons of people end up dumping catwoman because they weren't really into the title in the first place or were trying to be flippers and flopped.

BM66 basically got a 'vault'/blackarrow edition (catwoman) that took a title from 'harder to find' to having a temporary glut of NIB games available.. which lobbed off the top of the price ladder as the game was readily available. The game had already gone from 'bones' to a fully flushed out 'war and peace' starting back in 2017 and into 2018. Which is probably a good reason why they did the re-run before wrapping it up in 2019.

Now, 2+ years latter the inventory situation has settled back down again and prices increase as the game isn't readily available in NIB form.

TLDR - Reruns always lob off the top of the price escalation as the abundance of NIB-level games negates scarcity. It takes awhile for that to settle again.

AC/DC is another example whose price escalation got neutered by the reruns because of the glut of virtually new condition games that were floating around.

1 week later
#6736 1 year ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

People are calling this a “bungled launch”. I wouldn’t call it that. Yes, there’s been some delay. And that issue about delaying the announcement until after the mourning period for the Queen may have irked some people. Personally, I think it was a good move given the theme of this game. And a bungled launch? Hardly. CGC’s handling of Cactus Canyon is bungled. This Bond release is no big deal. The games will be coming out soon, and they just announced last month. In this industry I’d say Stern is the model of efficiency. Of course, that’s why they’re leading the pack.

Sure if you skip all tbe details and just focus on an a wait it doesn’t seems so bad. But that is ignoring everything.

- Launch late (was aug)
- Launch abort
- launch event canceled in uk
- No eta after failed launch
- The mysterious 60th game that is launched but held back
- The fact that almost three months post target, the code is still WIP
- accessories??? Mia
- operators are setting launch party dates with no provided etas for games
- Christmas season? Gone

And still no one is buying the gemstone game because months later it’s still not released.

Imagine you are the guy scheduling all the procurement and staging of materials at stern so they can keep the lines primed and running smooth. Or the guy who was providing forescasts based on sales windows. You think all these false starts are smooth to them??

This isn’t just about ‘whats s month or two…’. Real money has been just tossed in the fire on this one.

#6823 1 year ago
Quoted from dvmrunner:

Avoidance is certainly one perspective. I do enjoy reading up on the newest info and posts. Perhaps I need to better understand what "hype" means then...I was under the impression that the word carried a connotation of excitement for an upcoming item or event

Hype is simply the blitz before something happens. It's the thread all about the game before the game actually hits..

once it starts landing, an owners thread will be created for people who want to talk just about topics related to ownership and not general peanut gallery stuff.

'hype' does not infer 'only positive'...

#6880 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

So tell me, what is the cheapest node board they would have had to add to make the pops fire independently?

That’s the issue… there has only been one size driver board to date. So add a huge board for one pop coil? Not gonna happen.

Normally they’d just drop the other thing…

#6883 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

They have smaller ones, like for toppers

Could be an interesting reuse… yes

Where those low or high voltage coils?

#7030 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

It’s not the lack of updates from stern that’s killing the hype.
It’s not the early code that’s killing the hype.
It’s not the leaks or the delays killing the hype.
It’s all you musty ass debbie downers of pinside, turning a “James Bond pinball hype thread” into a discussion about taxes that’s killing the hype.

4E3E07E1-4BE3-4400-BE43-06C519476708.jpeg4E3E07E1-4BE3-4400-BE43-06C519476708.jpeg

#7050 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Are you a chick Flynnibus?

Tell me you don’t know the movie without telling me.

#7053 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

I’m familiar with that actress but I don’t know the movie. I know it’s a high school movie. But I can’t remember names of actors like I use to.

Here you go grandpa - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/stop-trying-to-make-fetch-happen

#7056 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Back to Bond. Will you have a game at Ocelot in the next few weeks? Can't wait to try one.

As soon as Stern ships it!

#7057 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Where are the reports from customers in Europe?
Weren’t games shipped there to start last week?
How many days is a trans-Atlantic journey?

They ship 'em by boat.. hence why they are built first to help offset the transit delay.

Pros are supposed to be built this week... but I'm trying not to jump the gun and wait for an actual tracking #

#7061 1 year ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Does anyone know if it is true that Stern had to remove a few songs and is also having to change items in the code due to licensing issues? If so, do we know what songs and what the issues were? What songs were supposed to be on the pro? Any different for the premium? Any idea what they have been asked to change in the code? I am not trying to stir the speculation pot but I am in on a pro, shipping soon and this is something I "heard" which concerns me.

All of the above is possible since everything was still pending licenser approvals. But who knows.. Judge the output, not the work-in-progress.

#7110 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Yeah I created an owners thread. I manage the Godzilla as well.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-james-bond-007-owners-club

It helps if you put it in the correct subforum to start with
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/clubs-members-only

#7112 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoundress:

In title only, this was the first created, but whatever works I guess. I'm new so what do I know

You don't rename prior threads to owner threads. There is convention for this set by the owner of the forum. Owner threads can't be started until games are shipping and you can't rename an existing thread. Plus Club threads have their own subforum (and pinside doesn't have a move thread feature) so you can't start a non-club thread in the club forum and then later rename it, etc. There are a few owner threads that have been grandfathered or exceptions made, but that's the exception, not the norm.

Owner threads were started to directly steer clear of all the speculation/etc that happens PRIOR to a game or general commentary from non-owners. So repurposing an old thread doesn't meet any of those objectives and why they are created later.

1 week later
#7159 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The ball would also require a small nudge in the right inlane after being released by the up-post. it just gets hung up on the switch which needs to be adjusted

It's not the switch. The ball is getting trapped in the switch cutout itself because the uppost is so close to the switch cutout. The ball sits in the cutout when the up post is up.. then doesn't have the momentum to get out of the switch cutout once the post retracts.

I only saw one VUK feed go bad.. hoping that is just power/breakin. But the whole habittrail will move quite a bit when it fires.

#7165 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Would increasing pitch a bit keep it from happening?

Unlikely since the ball is at a full stop from the uppost. I'm going to try bridging the edge of the switch cutout with some mylar so where the ball rests isn't such a trap. Slope plus wear would probably break past this issue.. it's very small. I mean just a slight tap on the cabinet will free it.

#7173 1 year ago
Quoted from Invictus:

My impressions:

1) The ball easily drains “cheap drains”
2) The Pro version feels rather simplistic
3. Not enough to shoot for
4) You really have to nodge/push

Maybe you're the type that just wants big toys to look at... but to say 'not enough to shoot for' makes me devalue your opinion entirely. the game offers a ton of shot variety and reason to go for them too. Even in this early state.

#7193 1 year ago

One thing that is way more obvious in person is... how empty the back corner of the game is with the dildo rocket.

All you complaining about Grogu in Mando? or the big screen in TS4? You're head will explode when you see the Pro in person from the side of the cabinet. Really stark how much area is taken up by the rocket and orbit. Looks really bare without the extra mechs of the premium.

#7223 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

There are lots of way to reduce super long ball times. Maybe it's time for some of these owners to install tilt bobs and/or move some posts and/or rubbers.

Main reason in recent pins…

Add-a-ball and lightable ball saves

#7259 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

I went on a tirade in my 007 reaction video about the geometry flaw and impact of this shot. I even said at one point "they should put a rubber there or something". Guess who's full of regrets because it doesn't really look good.
[quoted image]
There's several places I rant about it and it was posted in this thread before. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bond-james-bond-stern-007-hype-club/page/80#post-7153813

Of all the things that deserve a rant... I'd rate this on with the burden of breathing. Seriously... this is nothing to bat an eye at... complain about where the scoop fires, not the siderail. Good grief.

#7262 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

This was before I knew nothing about the gameplay, it was just when the pictures were released by Stern. I didn't even know the Pro had the scoop even. I haven't played the game yet and have not watched much gameplay as it's pretty grating and repetitive. We'll see after next weekend if I have an update. Thanks for watching!

Yet you keep posting about it? Please don’t

And no I don’t watch

#7419 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I am sure they looked at what the constant up and down of the ramp on Rush Prem/LE did to the node 10 boards and decided not to recreate that problem with a moving love rocket.

Totally unrelated man. Motors and drivers are bread and butter of pinball for the last 30years. Rush games had a manufacturing defect

#7474 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

When is your launch party?

They showed up afterwards for the people who scanned in.

Ours showed up pretty much right after... Stern just has to have your date right I think.

The games themselves unforuntately seem to have no awareness of it happening.

#7479 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

Not to mention, if I was an operator I'd be pissed that the code is so basic. I'm sure there are people who don't "know" about pinball machines and code etc but love Bond so they play a few games. They could easily just think that's all this game has, get quickly bored with this game and move on, never coming back.

Most casual players or drop ins aren’t going to max out even the current game. The upper players will hear noise of change or even see changes in their own games.

None of those players came just for bond… thry play bond while they are there.

Bond was still a top earner for us this week+month

#7486 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

I'm just saying that someone like me 10 years ago, who just loved playing pinball but wasn't in the home hobby, would have played the same number of games I currently have on Bond and become bored with it and never gone back to it

That maybe you… but as a whole the data doesn’t really support what you are saying.

If it really became a problem i would switch where the game was placed or simply supplement with some signage to help convey a major game update.

4 weeks later
#7538 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

I cannot understand why so many posted about coin mech screws. Now I heard one rattle around and I’m missing another one.
Seems simple that someone is not putting these in right. [quoted image]

They just don’t hold tight vs the shipping vibrations. They are after all… thumbscrews

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 55.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bond-james-bond-stern-007-hype-club?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.