B0646D82-852B-4304-A4CD-23B4A22BDDCF (resized).jpeg
D42D0E5A-DC87-4B80-9D62-E59D378CACBA (resized).jpeg
FB2C5C38-17F0-45D4-BCED-57EF94539DCE (resized).jpeg
E873B6CA-F0F2-4C5E-8589-E5B0B96E2CAF (resized).jpeg
ABFA1B74-F8DD-4DAE-B74F-110B222F23D0 (resized).jpeg
A8461CA8-3529-4922-9A2F-EEB6517CA7A5 (resized).jpeg
20221216_225500 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 151.
#6251 1 year ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

It’s kind of tough to put into words. While trying to get shots dialed in you’re gonna clunk around. In practice, the available shots feel like:
Left ramp: butter smooth, fast, great to combo the left flipper shots.
Left rocket entrance: I can’t find this shot on purpose, hit it plenty on accident. Best access to SPECTER targets for higher jackpots on Bird 1 Mb
Rocket and drops: usually only hit on accident unless getting ball lock lit.
Ball lock center path: I think it’s easier from left flipper, great shot to comp upper flipper. It’s narrow and misses can go SDTM
Tank shot: Dangerous but it’s cool from the right flipper into the side scoop. It’s like a pool shot.
Right orbit: hard to see so it trips my brain. It’s not too narrow but can be tough to find.
Right Ramp, much lower
On the flipper than I want to shoot it. Great ramp though. Wide enough to make up for the angle.
Q saucer. Surprisingly satisfying to hit. No rejects yet. I prefer this to like the GOTG scoop in a similar spot.
Upper flipper shots:
Loop is tight, machines played different too.
Important for EBs and playfield multipliers
Side ramp: very tricky, late on the flipper and speed is everything. It’s an epic combo when it’s moving tho.
Sneaky shot into the pop bumpers - very narrow, I’ve never tried to shoot it on purpose but it’s a shot.
Center tank loop thing is makeable from the upper flipper
Misc:
Side scoop - nice break in gameplay. Easier to hit than TMNT Lair shot (by a mile) the kickout is different on each machine but the best playing games had it going into the pops. Hitting the tank is dangerous.
Weapons shot - easy to forget about until it’s qualified.
Drops - relatively safe to shoot for, which is nice.
Other Notes:
Pops don’t get stuck on a regular basis
8 skill shots and only 3 appear to be coded now
Scoring is inconsistent but it’s hard to care. Right now everyone is just enjoying the shots it seems like, at least me and my boy are.
Diverter can cause balls to get stuck on left ramp if open and a soft shot. The diverter closes quickly so no biggie. Only saw it happen once and not while I was playing.
If I wasn’t in on one, I would be now strictly due to how it shoots.
*Gomez fixing a screw on the diverter that needed locktite

[quoted image]

Big thanks for taking the time to give us a good view on how Bond feels and works shot wise. Great job!

#6252 1 year ago

Played about 10 games - total between the pro and premium.

I really like the game, and it shoots very well. Only thing that bothers me is the ball times - they were way to long across the board.

#6253 1 year ago

Looks fun Can’t wait to play.

#6254 1 year ago

I was able to flip both the Pro and Premium the Expo. These games were apparently built in a hurry just in time for the Expo. The code is rudimentary at this point , but it was still a lot of fun. The Rocket (or is it Cocket) was actually better than one might expect. It wiggled nicely when struck by a ball or two. Sorry,couldn't resist based on the previous posts about it. In all seriousness the Rocket was fine and the the entire game was lot of fun even at this stage. Since I have both a Godzilla and a Batman, I would say it falls somewhere in between in game play and design. Mech wise its pretty good. Pro buyers won't be too disappointed, but I see lots of potential for the Premium/LE once its fully coded. Enough that it might justify the price difference

#6255 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Played about 10 games - total between the pro and premium.
I really like the game, and it shoots very well. Only thing that bothers me is the ball times - they were way to long across the board.

I feel like Gomez recent games tend to have longer ball times. Deadpool, BM66, this it seems. My main complaint from watching streams is how long the ball gets stuck in pops.

#6256 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I feel like Gomez recent games tend to have longer ball times. Deadpool, BM66, this it seems. My main complaint from watching streams is how long the ball gets stuck in pops.

That was my primary concern as well but people who have been playing it seem to suggest that it's not been an issue. Also, you can reduce the sensitivity on the pops by widening the switches so I think if it's a problem, there's a pretty simple solution.

#6257 1 year ago

I played a pro and premium at expo and it is fine. Not great and no Zilla by any means. Deadpool is better.

Ball times are ridiculously long...like boring long. I played a pro, then a premium and scored 209,000,000 in my first game.

I think with some programming and some adjustments it could get there.

#6258 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I feel like Gomez recent games tend to have longer ball times. Deadpool, BM66, this it seems.

Three words...

Add-A-Ball

#6259 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Does this ramp lift to allow a shot underneath in the Premium & LE games?
[quoted image]

I was confused on this as well. So the answer is no but why did they design the ramp like it does? I wonder if this was scrapped at some point.

#6260 1 year ago

Just an FYI, Gomez said pros on the line November and LEs early December.
I think we were thinking mid to late November on the LEs but sounds like that’s pushed back a bit.
I’m actually not complaining, even after 50 (probably) games on it, I think folks would be bummed not to have more modes coded at delivery.
I’m excited for everyone who is excited. I think this game is going to be a hit and although it may take a year, you can already tell the sound/video clips are going to transport you to 60s Bond.

#6261 1 year ago

Played the premium at the Denver show today - only got one game in because the line was long and games took FOREVER. Was a bit disappointed… but I enjoyed the one game I played.

#6262 1 year ago
#6263 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

Hopefully more reliable than R911 haha

I have a R911 and have only ever had the coupler on the copter break once. And once I had to replace the friction wheel.
Have had it for 20+ years. People just don't take care of them. When they are maintained they work fine.

#6264 1 year ago

Put about 6 games on the Premium at the Denver show this weekend...... Was hoping I would like it the more I played, but it fell really short for me.
The only action was the MI6 top lanes, pop bumpers. Rocket section was meh(just hit some drops and lock shot). Whole game just felt one sided, plain, and boring

#6265 1 year ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

It’s kind of tough to put into words. While trying to get shots dialed in you’re gonna clunk around. In practice, the available shots feel like:
Left ramp: butter smooth, fast, great to combo the left flipper shots.
Left rocket entrance: I can’t find this shot on purpose, hit it plenty on accident. Best access to SPECTER targets for higher jackpots on Bird 1 Mb
Rocket and drops: usually only hit on accident unless getting ball lock lit.
Ball lock center path: I think it’s easier from left flipper, great shot to comp upper flipper. It’s narrow and misses can go SDTM
Tank shot: Dangerous but it’s cool from the right flipper into the side scoop. It’s like a pool shot.
Right orbit: hard to see so it trips my brain. It’s not too narrow but can be tough to find.
Right Ramp, much lower
On the flipper than I want to shoot it. Great ramp though. Wide enough to make up for the angle.
Q saucer. Surprisingly satisfying to hit. No rejects yet. I prefer this to like the GOTG scoop in a similar spot.
Upper flipper shots:
Loop is tight, machines played different too.
Important for EBs and playfield multipliers
Side ramp: very tricky, late on the flipper and speed is everything. It’s an epic combo when it’s moving tho.
Sneaky shot into the pop bumpers - very narrow, I’ve never tried to shoot it on purpose but it’s a shot.
Center tank loop thing is makeable from the upper flipper
Misc:
Side scoop - nice break in gameplay. Easier to hit than TMNT Lair shot (by a mile) the kickout is different on each machine but the best playing games had it going into the pops. Hitting the tank is dangerous.
Weapons shot - easy to forget about until it’s qualified.
Drops - relatively safe to shoot for, which is nice.
Other Notes:
Pops don’t get stuck on a regular basis
8 skill shots and only 3 appear to be coded now
Scoring is inconsistent but it’s hard to care. Right now everyone is just enjoying the shots it seems like, at least me and my boy are.
Diverter can cause balls to get stuck on left ramp if open and a soft shot. The diverter closes quickly so no biggie. Only saw it happen once and not while I was playing.
If I wasn’t in on one, I would be now strictly due to how it shoots.
*Gomez fixing a screw on the diverter that needed locktite

[quoted image]

Thanks for posting.

I love that Gomez is right there in his machines making sure they are running well.

#6266 1 year ago

I will never understand why people spend this kind of money on a game with crappy early code. The game you actually want may be years away, and yet you'll buy this machine, look at it, occasionally play it, but will always feel unsatisfied that it's not finished.

So ultimately, you're paying 12 grand for something which is ok now but promises to be awesome later. Bizarre.

#6267 1 year ago

In 2 more years it will cost you $2k more with all the price increases. Ha ha.

#6268 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

In 2 more years it will cost you $2k more with all the price increases. Ha ha.

and lets not even talk about what the price of an LE may be....

#6269 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I will never understand why people spend this kind of money on a game with crappy early code. The game you actually want may be years away, and yet you'll buy this machine, look at it, occasionally play it, but will always feel unsatisfied that it's not finished.
So ultimately, you're paying 12 grand for something which is ok now but promises to be awesome later. Bizarre.

We would all prefer that games shipped with their final (or very close to final) code in them already. That's not what is happening right now (at least for Stern). If you want an LE, you have to buy it at announcement (or likely pay more on the secondary market later). If you want a Premium or Pro, you can wait and see. If you love the theme and are going to get it no matter what, why wait?

As far as always feeling unsatisfied, there are obviously software updates that are coming so you can play and enjoy the game now, then play it more later when new features are added. It doesn't necessarily mean that the game is not enjoyable now. I think Bond, at code version 0.54(?), is probably an extreme example because of the compressed game development cycle due to Ritchie leaving.

#6270 1 year ago

Excited to see this code grow. Looks fun to me already! I don't get the "long ball" complaint.

#6271 1 year ago

Man, love the idea of this. But honestly, hate the artwork for the cabinets.

I am a lover of the older movies, but having the artwork be specific for a movie title, while the game itself covers all bonds... Just seems very strange to me.

#6272 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Man, love the idea of this. But honestly, hate the artwork for the cabinets.
I am a lover of the older movies, but having the artwork be specific for a movie title, while the game itself covers all bonds... Just seems very strange to me.

This game covers 6 movies, all with Sean Connery.

#6273 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

This game covers 6 movies, all with Sean Connery.

oh, I must have gotten that wrong then. I saw the Spectre lights and thought it was based on that movie.

I still dont like the single movie theme per model of machine.

#6274 1 year ago

I'm often puzzled by long ball time comments-not just here but on other modern games as well.

If players want a game with deep code, how can it can simultaneously have short ball times? How would one ever get to experience the code?

If players want short ball times, why not just buy an EM with 2" flippers and save some money?

#6275 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I'm often puzzled by long ball time comments-not just here but on other modern games as well.
If players want a game with deep code, how can it can simultaneously have short ball times? How would one ever get to experience the code?
If players want short ball times, why not just buy an EM with 2" flippers and save some money?

I think the better way to say it is, a long time where the ball isn't on the flippers. I have not played this game, but from watching the stream one of them (I think Mike) has a ball last 2 minutes and never once did he hit the flippers. It went into pops and drained down the left outlane, ball save served up again and drained down the left outlane after going through the pops for FOREVER.

#6276 1 year ago

"long ball times" bothers people waiting to play a game at a show but in reality it's what they want in their home environments.

If not, they'd be turning off ballsaves and extra balls, they'd stop setting their "replay award" to extra ball, and they wouldn't be whining constantly for "more code!!!," which as you say, makes zero sense if you want "short ball times."

The "long ball time" thing comes out EVERY single new release. They see guys on streams playing it and it's "long ball times!" They have to wait 20 minutes to play it at expo so it's "Long ball times!!!"

It's just another standard-issue, every-single-release complaint that doesn't really mean anything. it's basically comfort food around here. I mean, what's the last Stern game to be released that had "short ball times?" Iron Man? Remember how much everybody hated that game for the first few years? Operators still hate it; nobody wants to put money into it due to "short ball times."

#6277 1 year ago

I'm all about short and brutal games, but I'm a weirdo. I won't act like that's what most people want. They want somewhat easy fan layouts that play long due to multiple ball saves, multiballs, special modes where you can't lose the ball, etc... They want a super duper ultra wizard mode that maybe 1% of people ever legitimately get to (Stern is about to find out how many people actually see those modes with all this IC data they're collecting)

And I get it too. There is a Beatles I'm looking at nearby that I want to buy, but Idk if I really want to own one in the house...even though I do really enjoy playing that game.

#6278 1 year ago

We do that too.

See Ghostbusters or TWD. Great examples of games with short ball times.

#6279 1 year ago

Nothing worse than having long ball times and realizing that you arent close to beating any scores.

Id prefer a short game and if I happen to do well, that game goes long vs. all of them being long.

If that makes sense to you.

#6280 1 year ago

TWD is great. It's generally a short and brutal game that requires shooting a lot of dangerous targets, but it has a lot of ways to quickly rack up a score. It makes it a really fun game

Whereas I find something like Stranger Things a snooze... That game feels like a chore

#6281 1 year ago

If ball times are long because you’re playing well, that’s one thing. If they are long because the layout is too forgiving, or hangs up the ball, that’s a problem.

Anyhoo, looking forward to trying this one out either way.

#6282 1 year ago

tnmt too time ball fast, and people not like! i like time ball short, but too like time long, for this stern have that make one short and one long!!! ejejej. i have 2 and 2, and i play one and one, iron maiden and munster, or godzilla a tnmt.

#6283 1 year ago

Does anyone know how the music licensing for a pinball machine works? Gomez said the music license holder wanted more money for the Goldfinger song than the entire Bond license costs (so they did not get that song). If I buy the song for personal use I can get the MP3 on Amazon for only 89 cents (and that includes Amazon's cut) so why should it be more to put it on a pinball machine (per game)?

Alternatively, why can't Stern just make a feature on new games where we can load our own songs and can swap out the default music?

#6284 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Does anyone know how the music licensing for a pinball machine works? Gomez said the music license holder wanted more money for the Goldfinger song than the entire Bond license costs (so they did not get that song). If I buy the song for personal use I can get the MP3 on Amazon for only 89 cents (and that includes Amazon's cut) so why should it be more to put it on a pinball machine (per game)?
Alternatively, why can't Stern just make a feature on new games where we can load our own songs and can swap out the default music?

Because you're buying it for personal use vs putting it on commercial coin operated equipment where a large number will end up in public

Didn't Stern let people change the music some in Mustang?

And I assume you can't add music because of licensing agreements. It's probably their demand, not Stern's unilateral decision, to disallow and discourage that sort of modification. If people can just add licensed music, then why would Stern pay to license stuff? So the licensor is against it

#6285 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"long ball times" bothers people waiting to play a game at a show but in reality it's what they want in their home environments.

Actually it is not: I have several games I enjoy BECAUSE they have short ball times. There are days I want to do nothing more than rack off a fast game or two and call it good.

Anything over 15 minutes and some boredom starts kicking in.

#6286 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Actually it is not: I have several games I enjoy BECAUSE they have short ball times. There are days I want to do nothing more than rack off a fast game or two and call it good.
Anything over 15 minutes and some boredom starts kicking in.

I'm talking about your average modern NIB home buyer.

They want long playing, high scoring games.

#6287 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Good points.. there’s no excuse, really. it’s all software and can be developed the same way a Jukebox option is inserted into code.. at the very least they could just be sure all new code improvements can still be opened in Pinball Browser.. it would just take a minute for the programmer to check that and especially if now Gomez admitted the song licenses are too expensive even though the game is costing us a fortune. They could just design it, leave the music out of that mode and make no assertion that Goldfinger should be inserted there, for example, let us do it. Easier to code too. Fact: There’s no music for the mode in the code already! So note to Gomez, just leave it as it is and please just make sure we can add it if desired.

#6288 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll take your word for it, most "normies" I know have the attention span of a squirrel though.

That being said, most normies think spending over $500 for a pin is insanity so there is that. I can usually give them palpitations by rattling off pricing on various titles for entertainment.

#6289 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd agree for sure. I like classics and system 11s for my short games. For modern games I'm generally looking for something I can spend some time on and won't see all of without putting in some good time. My buddy just got a Halloween and I've been playing it a bit at his place. The games go a bit long but I've enjoyed seeing the different modes and getting a feel for the rules.

#6290 1 year ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Good points.. there’s no excuse, really. it’s all software and can be developed the same way a Jukebox option is inserted into code.. at the very least they could just be sure all new code improvements can still be opened in Pinball Browser.. it would just take a minute for the programmer to check that and especially if now Gomez admitted the song licenses are too expensive even though the game is costing us a fortune. They could just design it, leave the music out of that mode and make no assertion that Goldfinger should be inserted there, for example, let us do it. Easier to code too. Fact: There’s no music for the mode in the code already! So note to Gomez, just leave it as it is and please just make sure we can add it if desired.

I don't have the timestamp, but Gomez on the reveal stream about this topic said (paraphrase) It doesn't have this song, but I am sure you all will figure it out. So he's all but said he thinks we should hijack the code to add it, even though its explicitly against the EULA. So I have to imagine there are some licensors that want things locked down more than Stern cares about having them locked down.

#6291 1 year ago
Quoted from atum:

I don't have the timestamp, but Gomez on the reveal stream about this topic said (paraphrase) It doesn't have this song, but I am sure you all will figure it out. So he's all but said he thinks we should hijack the code to add it, even though its explicitly against the EULA. So I have to imagine there are some licensors that want things locked down more than Stern cares about having them locked down.

I took it as less about encouraging it vs acknowledging people are going to figure out how regardless

#6292 1 year ago

FYI, Amazon Prime customers: The James Bond movies now say "Leaving Prime on November 4." Watch/stream them while you can!

#6293 1 year ago
Quoted from atum:

Yes.. and legally if they can ship the game out with code unfinished? With no songs required for the different movie modes? I don't see any way that it can violate any EULA. If this is the case and they insisted that Stern use the soundtrack songs, imagine how much the 60th version would cost with many more movies. They are paying for some of the songs from the movies, but with the songs they have secured so far, some movie modes would not have the corresponding theme song for it so everything else as of now is just the James Bond theme mixed over. I'm hoping if they won't leave it open, that they'll have and Orchestrated version for Goldfinger & Thunderball as those are the 2 songs that Gomez said they couldn't secure the rights for as they were too expensive.

#6294 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I took it as less about encouraging it vs acknowledging people are going to figure out how regardless

Yes, I think someone will.. just lately with the new code releases written for Insider connected, it hasn't been as easy to play with the software as before. We don't know if this is intentional or not but I don't think it's intentional, I just think it's because Pinball Browser hasn't been updated in a while, so it's not recognizing a new format from Stern. Which is why I mentioned that if not intentional then Stern could easily check this as well.

#6295 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

TWD is great. It's generally a short and brutal game that requires shooting a lot of dangerous targets, but it has a lot of ways to quickly rack up a score. It makes it a really fun game
Whereas I find something like Stranger Things a snooze... That game feels like a chore

When you beat Last Man Standing in TWD the ball times can be a marathon, unlike any mode I’ve ever played before.

You gotta kill a ton of zombies, the way it should be, and it wears your ass out!

#6296 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If not, they'd be turning off ballsaves and extra balls, they'd stop setting their "replay award" to extra ball, and they wouldn't be whining constantly for "more code!!!," which as you say, makes zero sense if you want "short ball times."
The "long ball time" thing comes out EVERY single new release. They see guys on streams playing it and it's "long ball times!" They have to wait 20 minutes to play it at expo so it's "Long ball times!!!"
It's just another standard-issue, every-single-release complaint that doesn't really mean anything. it's basically comfort food around here. I mean, what's the last Stern game to be released that had "short ball times?" Iron Man? Remember how much everybody hated that game for the first few years? Operators still hate it; nobody wants to put money into it due to "short ball times."

Except for Star Wars, "Flash Drains Gone in a Blink!" but it kills on location and once its flow is controlled its long ball times but before that...Flash! haha

#6297 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You are wrong good sir, Stranger Things is fantastic. And therefore very hard to find these days.

#6298 1 year ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

You are wrong good sir, Stranger Things is fantastic. And therefore very hard to find these days.

It’s cool if you like it. Enjoy it

#6299 1 year ago

I’m thinking the Distros have had enough time now to collect the LE $$$.

Time to show off the 60th anniversary game!

Gomez said last Tuesday “about a week”

#6300 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m thinking the Distros have had enough time now to collect the LE $$$.
Time to show off the 60th anniversary game!
Gomez said last Tuesday “about a week”

Thought just crossed my mind as well....would make for an interesting Tuesday...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Fargo, ND
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 7,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 151.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bond-james-bond-stern-007-hype-club/page/126?hl=machinegunguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.