B0646D82-852B-4304-A4CD-23B4A22BDDCF (resized).jpeg
D42D0E5A-DC87-4B80-9D62-E59D378CACBA (resized).jpeg
FB2C5C38-17F0-45D4-BCED-57EF94539DCE (resized).jpeg
E873B6CA-F0F2-4C5E-8589-E5B0B96E2CAF (resized).jpeg
ABFA1B74-F8DD-4DAE-B74F-110B222F23D0 (resized).jpeg
A8461CA8-3529-4922-9A2F-EEB6517CA7A5 (resized).jpeg
20221216_225500 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 151.
#5201 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Right at 30 minutes in. Good listen. He confirms he did no pulp fiction art. Also interviews Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) and Greg Feres.

He claims he did no art for a CGC pulp fiction. Pulp Fiction is coming from Raw Thrills though....so it could be a little twist on the truth. Excited to find out

#5202 1 year ago
Quoted from zucot:

It’s almost like some of you want the game to be bad.

Right? Do we need to rename this thread "The James Bond GRIPE Thread"? Do some of you not understand the meaning and purpose of a "Hype Thread"? Go start a "I got whine in my martini: The official James Bond crybaby thread" where you can all bitch and be miserable together about your inability to differentiate SALEABLE CODE and LEAKED PROTOTYPE FOOTAGE.

The almighty Lyman Fucking Sheats took almost THREE YEARS to dial in Batman 66. BM66 is an amazing game now, so let's cut this team some slack, shall we? When the game is in hand, we can start to give constructive feedback about how to improve the game.

Until then, ask yourself if the world needs any more pointless negativity in it.

#5203 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Right? Do we need to rename this thread "The James Bond GRIPE Thread"? Do some of you not understand the meaning and purpose of a "Hype Thread"? Go start a "I got whine in my martini: The official James Bond crybaby thread" where you can all bitch and be miserable together about your inability to differentiate SALEABLE CODE and LEAKED PROTOTYPE FOOTAGE.
The almighty Lyman Fucking Sheats took almost THREE YEARS to dial in Batman 66. BM66 is an amazing game now, so let's cut this team some slack, shall we? When the game is in hand, we can start to give constructive feedback about how to improve the game.
Until then, ask yourself if the world needs any more pointless negativity in it.

When leaked, prototype footage is released on a beloved license, people are going to comment. It's what Pinsiders do. No matter how much people squawk at the squawkers, they ain't changing. In fact, some of them probably feed off folks like you getting so bent out of shape over something so incredibly harmless.

Hearing everyone's perspective is goodness, even for a so called hype thread. Chill out. Might want to take your own advice...i.e. "ask yourself if the world needs any more pointless negativity in it.".

#5204 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hearing everyone's perspective is goodness, even for a so called hype thread.

Nah, this is where I 100% disagree.

The whole kumbaya campfire idea some people have that "everyone's opinion on everything is equally valuable" is utter horseshit.

No. Not all opinions are valuable. The sooner we realize that, the better off society will be.

Bitching and crying about leaked prototype material is absolutely not "goodness". Far from it. It's useless noise that objectively diminishes the quality of this thread.

These are toys after all. I come here to relax and enjoy a hobby, not piss and moan and be cynical about something I love.

#5205 1 year ago

So get this thread back on topic, I'd like to find a way to disguise the metal playfield guide in the underwater scene, which is clearly visible in the promotion trailer for the Premium/LE features.

What do y'all think? Paint the metal? Frosted plastic/glass? Something like a backdrop directly behind the figurines?

At the same time, I'm thinking it actually might be more difficult to see the metal in person, seeing as how a promotional video is gonna be soaked into studio lighting, and I like to play in a dimly lit game room. Might have to wait until it's in-hand before assessing if it's worth fussing with, but something to brainstorm while anxiously waiting

#5206 1 year ago

I'd like to find a way to make the mech holding jet pack bond a bit less noticeable. Seems awfully big, maybe just needs some camouflaging,, not a complaint, just thinkin

#5207 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'd like to find a way to make the mech holding jet pack bond a bit less noticeable. Seems awfully big, maybe just needs some camouflaging,, not a complaint, just thinkin

Pretty sure they already painted it black - the og photos had it as raw metal I think. Looks significantly better black.

#5208 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

I come here to relax and enjoy a hobby, not piss and moan and be cynical about something I love.

Not everyone comes to a forum for the same reasons. Just because the word "hype" is in the thread title doesn't mean that everyone has to be excited or even positive. You don't make the rules, dude. People aren't supposed to talk about new info, leaked footage, rumors, etc..? I think discussions regarding Lonnie's history with code and rulesets is totally legitimate. We're only supposed to focus on a totally hypothetical "finished" version instead of what's right in front of us? For someone who doesn't want anybody pissing and moaning, you're sure uh... Do I have to say it? Did I get that right?

Quoted from KingVidiot:

... It's useless noise that objectively diminishes the quality of this thread.

oh no! not the *gasp* quality of the thread!! And as far as "useless noise," here's a quote from one of my favorite contemporary philosophers..

Ej0N515WsAE4ayh (resized).jpegEj0N515WsAE4ayh (resized).jpeg
#5209 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

I think portions of these scheduling theories are likely, but how does that explain the separate Elwin Bond game? Did Stern really push TWO games up in the release schedule even though it's a single theme? If they didn't plan for the 60th anniversary ahead of time and needed to scramble, they seriously dropped the ball.

I think the 60th anniversary game was a money grab to help offset the reduced number of games produced this year. I am assuming it will have enormous margins and each game sold will count for 2 or 3 of a standard game. That way they can capture the profit dollars while pulling as few parts as possible out of the supply chain. I think they did it last with the 40th EHOH game - but this one will even be a larger grab.

It also helps explain why they have held up the release.

I think the decision was made when they announced they were going to reduce the number of cornerstones games released this year…. So they have been working on it for 7-9 months

#5210 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the 60th anniversary game was a money grab to help offset the reduced number of games produced this year. I am assuming it will have enormous margins and each game sold will count for 2 or 3 of a standard game. That way they can capture the profit dollars while pulling as few parts as possible out of the supply chain. I think they did it last with the 40th EHOH game - but this one will even be a larger grab.

That's a good point. Instead of using the same playfield and mechs and finding SLE value in other ways, Stern gets to leverage the stripped-down BOM of the Bond SLE with the power of a Triple A premium license.

This may have been answered already, but I wonder if they've had this Elwin SLE move in their backpocket for whenever they needed/wanted the big money grab regardless of theme. Elwin could have a backlog of rough draft single-level layouts/shots ready to get called up to the big leagues every few years. It's obvious he loves these sorts of games and even more obvious that he doesn't have a shortage of ideas.

#5211 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Nah, this is where I 100% disagree.
The whole kumbaya campfire idea some people have that "everyone's opinion on everything is equally valuable" is utter horseshit.
No. Not all opinions are valuable. The sooner we realize that, the better off society will be.
Bitching and crying about leaked prototype material is absolutely not "goodness". Far from it. It's useless noise that objectively diminishes the quality of this thread.
These are toys after all. I come here to relax and enjoy a hobby, not piss and moan and be cynical about something I love.

I agree that "Not all opinions are valuable"...you've been here 1yr and somehow you think your opinions matter more than guys that likely have tons more insight than you? Give us all a break. Society? If you come here to "relax and enjoy", then you need a new tude, dude. Pinside ain't conforming to your world view, no matter how much you moan and groan. As you say, these are toys after all, and you are showing all of us how you take this way too seriously! If you don't like someone's take, move on...it's really pretty easy (and healthier...stressing out as you are doing isn't good for the gut).

#5212 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

It also helps explain why they have held up the release.
I think the decision was made when they announced they were going to reduce the number of cornerstones games released this year…. So they have been working on it for 7-9 months

If Stern thinks there is demand for an Elwin 60'th anniversary Bond pin then they should make one. They would be nuts not to maximize the profit from this license which I'm sure was not cheap.

Is that a money grab? I guess it is if you define maximizing profit as a money grab but.. every company I know would do the same. That's what business and free enterprise is all about.

#5213 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

If Stern thinks there is demand for an Elwin 60'th anniversary Bond pin then they should make one. They would be nuts not to maximize the profit from this license which I'm sure was not cheap.
Is that a money grab? I guess it is if you define maximizing profit as a money grab but.. every company I know would do the same. That's what business and free enterprise is all about.

I am not being critical. I agree with you. I just think it might explain why the code is behind and why the rollout has been slower than expected.

I say "Money grab" but it is really just a way for them to maximize profits. At the end of the day, that is the purpose of every for-profit business.

#5214 1 year ago

I understand it but I'm slightly amused by the term "Money Grab" ....for a luxury item, sold by a for-profit company.

#5215 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the 60th anniversary game was a money grab to help offset the reduced number of games produced this year. I am assuming it will have enormous margins and each game sold will count for 2 or 3 of a standard game

Dunno man... the development costs for a game are still pretty high and don't scale down the same as your COGs for the game itself. When you put a limit on the volume of the product you dramatically reduce the ability to amortize the cost of the development over the run. So your margin per game is worse, and the upside you have from sales profits is finite. Then there is the lost opportunity cost from running these games vs other games.

I think they'd be better off just running games that have already paid for themselves and have parts that you can readily source.

#5216 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Never get sick of the Bond theme, so good.
I have Ghostbusters, I've never got sick of that theme.

John barry has done some great work.
I prefer the out of africa soundtrack.
Dances with wolves is beautiful and the intro to the persuaders is a classic.

#5217 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Dunno man... the development costs for a game are still pretty high and don't scale down the same as your COGs for the game itself. When you put a limit on the volume of the product you dramatically reduce the ability to amortize the cost of the development over the run. So your margin per game is worse, and the upside you have from sales profits is finite. Then there is the lost opportunity cost from running these games vs other games.
I think they'd be better off just running games that have already paid for themselves and have parts that you can readily source.

The programming is a sunk cost. If they already had programmers lined up for new games - they were already paying them. The game has no ramps- so they eliminated the need for some of the fixturing.

Cabinets and playfields are similar to other builds. The art looks like it was provided and isn’t overly unique. A lot of they do has a level of commonality from a parts standpoint. The drop targets are might be unique- but without ramps a lot of the stuff will be off the shelf.

I think the attraction is that they can charge a huge amount without tying up capacity. The profitability might be tied up in accounting practices and how they assign contribution margin and if they amortize across specific games or across product lines (pro vs premium vs le)

Having said that - you make a good point.

#5218 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I understand it but I'm slightly amused by the term "Money Grab" ....for a luxury item, sold by a for-profit company.

Touché

#5219 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

you've been here 1yr and somehow you think your opinions matter more

Number of years on pinside means nothing. You think the hobby started when pinside did? Did you know absolutely nothing about pinball 10 years ago?

#5220 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Number of years on pinside means nothing. You think the hobby started when pinside did? Did you know absolutely nothing about pinball 10 years ago?

r.g.p, man. The reason pinside exists now.

#5221 1 year ago

Do you all think that the playfield could be used for multiple games 007 now and another game later just change art and inserts and the video if it is a great layout same shots different themes?

#5222 1 year ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Do you all think that the playfield could be used for multiple games 007 now and another game later just change art and inserts and the video if it is a great layout same shots different themes?

007 - maybe. Gomez said a Goldfinger edition is possible. As for reusing the exact same design for another game, that's been done in the past with Family Guy/Shrek, but wasn't really that successful of an idea so I don't think Stern is chomping at the bit to repeat it.

That said, Borg copies regular or mirrored versions of his designs pretty frequently with pretty minor changes.

#5223 1 year ago

I am excited about this theme and have paid for my machine,I would love to hear interesting talk /hype about Bond.
Having said that this is not like the Rush reveal where we got good info and it shipped right away,its more like the Big Queen reveal fiasco.

#5224 1 year ago

I thought I posted this in the 60th anniversary edition game thread.

#5225 1 year ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

That occurred to me but Connery did 6 movies, Moore did 7, Brosnan did 4 and Craig did 5. The inserts for this game (women, gadgets, villains, henchman, movie titles) are all based on there being 6 movies. Gomez did float the idea of another art package for this same game (Goldfinger LE most likely).

#5226 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

So get this thread back on topic, I'd like to find a way to disguise the metal playfield guide in the underwater scene, which is clearly visible in the promotion trailer for the Premium/LE features.
What do y'all think? Paint the metal? Frosted plastic/glass? Something like a backdrop directly behind the figurines?
At the same time, I'm thinking it actually might be more difficult to see the metal in person, seeing as how a promotional video is gonna be soaked into studio lighting, and I like to play in a dimly lit game room. Might have to wait until it's in-hand before assessing if it's worth fussing with, but something to brainstorm while anxiously waiting

I added some plastic seaweed to the creature underwater scene in MB. Maybe something like that could work here, too.

#5227 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

this is not like the Rush reveal where we got good info and it shipped right away,its more like the Big Queen reveal fiasco.

Yeah the reveals for 007 and Queen are unfortunately quite similar. Coincidentally these are two of the games I've been most excited for

I'm still excited to see more of both, hoping these games live up to their themes.

#5228 1 year ago

Double post

#5229 1 year ago

750 JB7 pro’s and initial setup takes 4 weeks. 1k JB7 LE’s take 4 weeks. 500 JB60 take 2 weeks to run. 500 JB7 premiums take 2 weeks. Add it up and you see what Stern is working on the last 3 months of year.

#5230 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Major villain modes were there… mb… and the bat mobile mode was too iirc. It actually filled the screen too

No, blowing deadlines and still taking people’s money and still having a reveal with a game in such bad state is ridiculous.
Stern got mounds of hell for it in the past and rightfully so. So when they regress and do it again the scrutiny is warranted.

It's still Stern. Based on past performance they get a pass from me and most people.

I'm not sure what kind of "reveal" you need but I've seen enough with the theme, assets, Gomez interview to have little doubt.

Stern isn't holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to give them $$$.

Want to complain about the code at launch? That's way down on my "concern meter".

#5231 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

750 JB7 pro’s and initial setup takes 4 weeks. 1k JB7 LE’s take 4 weeks. 500 JB60 take 2 weeks to run. 500 JB7 premiums take 2 weeks. Add it up and you see what Stern is working on the last 3 months of year.

I thought Stern was back up to full speed of about 70 units/day? If so, your numbers are at least 2x longer than it will actually take.

#5232 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I thought Stern was back up to full speed of about 70 units/day? If so, your numbers are at least 2x longer than it will actually take.

It’s been reported that “full speed” is 125 units per day. Your 70 guess is far too low. Stern said they increased capacity to 125 per day to help meet demand.

#5233 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

It’s been reported that “full speed” is 125 units per day. Your 70 guess is far too low. Stern said they increased capacity to 125 per day to help meet demand.

I must have missed that update. When did they say they were up to 125/day now?

#5234 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I must have missed that update. When did they say they were up to 125/day now?

I’d have to look back to find it, but it was an increased manufacturing measure Gary said they were taking at the factory around the time he wrote the letter to tell distros that they were not going to release any cornerstones till August to catch up on a gigantic back order problem.

#5235 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

been done in the past with Family Guy/Shrek, but wasn't really that successful of an idea so I don't think Stern is chomping at the bit to repeat it.

I heard Shrek came about because of poor FG sales and the need for a more “kid and family friendly” title, thus utilizing the parts and turning around sales. I don’t think this applies when talking reusing Bond layout for multiple Bond versions, but how does one incorporate a jet pack toy in Goldfinger? Would the Bond on a wand need to change to match the actual theme? Then there is the Missile… kind of hard to reuse the layout without reimagining all the toys, so if reuse of this GG layout were to happen, would it be simply an artwork change, making the Goldfinger movie the central art, adding modes specific to the movie, etc… but keep all the toys and most game play the same? Or is he (GG) alluding to a Goldfinger stand alone layout we have not yet seen? So maybe put out the 60th with a different flatwood layout that can be customized to create differing Bond Mahines, each centered on a specific movie, or Bond, and artwork adjusted as needed. That seems like too many if’s for Stern but first we have to like the premium… and nobody has even come close to flipping a real Bond premium in any state yet except half assed, much less a 1.0, .9, .3 and certainly not even any super secret double alpha versions Lonnie has on his key ring thumb drive.

#5236 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I heard Shrek came about because of poor FG sales and the need for a more “kid and family friendly” title, thus utilizing the parts and turning around sales. I don’t think this applies when talking reusing Bond layout for multiple Bond versions, but how does one incorporate a jet pack toy in Goldfinger? Would the Bond on a wand need to change to match the actual theme? Then there is the Missile… kind of hard to reuse the layout without reimagining all the toys, so if reuse of this GG layout were to happen, would it be simply an artwork change, making the Goodfinger movie the central art, adding modes specific to the movie, etc… but keep all the toys and most game play the same? Or is he (GG) alluding to a Goldfinger stand alone layout we have not yet seen? So maybe put out the 60th with a different flatwood layout that anbe customized to create differing Bond Mahines, each centered on a specific movie, or Bond, and artwork adjusted as needed. That seems like too many if’s for Stern.

I'm imagining it's "Goldfinger" by having fancy gold trim and specific cabinet art and all that. Otherwise same as the LE.

#5237 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

I'm imagining it's "Goldfinger" by having fancy gold trim and specific cabinet art and all that. Otherwise same as the LE.

Bingo. The You Only Live Twice and Thunderball versions still have the Dr. No missile drop-targets, so it's not like each version is limited to toys from the film on the translite.

That said, it could only improve sales if they swap out the jetpack for a Goldfinger nuts-laser.

#5238 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

you've been here 1yr and somehow you think your opinions matter more than guys that likely have tons more insight than you? Give us all a break.

pinside seniority… and I’m the one taking this shit too seriously?

Some brilliant senior pinside members were bitching a few weeks back about a dead-end upper ramp shot. Turns out, the leaked photo didn’t show that ball guide properly. Yup, George Gomez musta just entirely missed that one…. Boy, those pinside years really amount to wisdom in this hobby

#5239 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Bingo. The You Only Live Twice and Thunderball versions still have the Dr. No missile drop-targets, so it's not like each version is limited to toys from the film on the translite.
That said, it could only improve sales if they swap out the jetpack for a Goldfinger nuts-laser.

It would be worth it just to have the British guy playing Q say the words "nuts laser".

#5240 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

Not everyone comes to a forum for the same reasons. Just because the word "hype" is in the thread title doesn't mean that everyone has to be excited or even positive.

“Not everyone comes to a birthday party for the same reasons. Just because the word “party” is in the name, doesn’t mean everyone has to be excited or even positive”.

You’re right, how dare I challenge your right to have a miserable time!

#5241 1 year ago

#5243 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

That occurred to me but Connery did 6 movies, Moore did 7, Brosnan did 4 and Craig did 5. The inserts for this game (women, gadgets, villains, henchman, movie titles) are all based on there being 6 movies. Gomez did float the idea of another art package for this same game (Goldfinger LE most likely).

Connery did a 7th James Bond flick in 1983, didn’t he?

#5244 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Connery did a 7th James Bond flick in 1983, didn’t he?

Yep, Never Say Never Again (1983)

#5245 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Good Bond movie even if it's essentially "Thunderball" redux.

#5246 1 year ago

Im all cheese muffin over this game. It has a galley wag and got me all tails up for the code. I heard the loops and blips are all way up over the sausage gravey.

#5247 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

I guess that makes 7 Connery/Bond movies.

#5248 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Im all cheese muffin over this game. It has a galley wag and got me all tails up for the code. I heard the loops and blips are all way up over the sausage gravey.

Damn MAM, I’m having a hard time decoding what your flowing .

#5249 1 year ago

Zardoz. Not a Bond film but this picture cracks me up for what it was intended to do back in 1974.
Sean Connery in a futuristic diaper.

sean-connery-in-zardoz-1974-directed-by-john-boorman-credit-20th-century-fox-album-2A8M03G (resized).jpgsean-connery-in-zardoz-1974-directed-by-john-boorman-credit-20th-century-fox-album-2A8M03G (resized).jpg
#5250 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

You say you’re from Colorado, but you sound like you’re from Newcastle

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 59.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Print2pin

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 55.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Union, KY
$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 151.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bond-james-bond-stern-007-hype-club/page/105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.