Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dent00
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ramp Screws (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-113413_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    d261d075e1e950299e3bd1426a86fc91d8332fa9 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I can’t seem to find a affordable rivet tool and I only have a few items I need to rivet.
    I was just wondering if it’s a good idea to use short 1/8 bolts with a locknut as a alternative..

Has anyone done this before? Is it recommendable and if so, what type of bolt would you suggest?

#2 2 years ago

just talking about this yesterday on the jokerz upper ramp. several people have used small screws on this instead of the original rivets. btw pm jodiG if you need an affordable rivet tool.

#3 2 years ago

following

#4 2 years ago

Vid did a great write up on attaching rivets.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stand-up-target-faces-vids-guide

As a side note, if you have any targets that have broken targets on switches, or you want to change then out (color change), you can call Pinball Resource. He’ll sell you the targets, you mail the switches to him, he’ll add the targets to the switches for a small fee and mail them back to you.

#5 2 years ago

Nice link.. so do I understand it correct if I get a set of transfer punches that I can use them to set the rivets on all my plastics?

Cant find JodiG .. not a pinsider

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vin-bot:

Nice link.. so do I understand it correct if I get a set of transfer punches that I can use them to set the rivets on all my plastics?
    Cant find JodiG .. not a pinsider

It’s JodyG

#7 2 years ago

Thanks Rdoyle1978 !

#8 2 years ago

Sure, button head screws look very similar to rivets and work great for stuff riveted to plastics. You can buy a bunch cheap off ebay. Here is an example where I used them to replace the right upper pf sign on my TZ.

ebay.com link: 5 40 Button Head Socket Cap Screws Allen Hex Drive Stainless Steel 18 8 Qty 100

ebay.com link: 5 40 Coarse Nyloc Nylon Insert Locknut NTM Thin Stainless 18 8

d261d075e1e950299e3bd1426a86fc91d8332fa9 (resized).jpgd261d075e1e950299e3bd1426a86fc91d8332fa9 (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

If your going to bolt it instead of rivet it, you should look into carriage bolts instead... they look much more like rivets

Screenshot_20210721-113413_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210721-113413_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

If your going to bolt it instead of rivet it, you should look into carriage bolts instead... they look much more like rivets
    [quoted image]

Carriage bolt looks better overall more like a rivet head however they are PITA as far as keep them from spinning while your trying to install a lock nut on the back side. This is where the button head screws work much better with a Hex or Torx head

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pfinny:

Carriage bolt looks better overall more like a rivet head however they are PITA as far as keep them from spinning while your trying to install a lock nut on the back side. This is where the button head screws work much better with a Hex or Torx head

That true

#12 2 years ago

On my AC/DC Premium machine, I replaced both ramps because they were damaged when I purchased the machine. One bracket was riveted to the left ramp where the diverter attached to the ramp. I drilled out the rivets to attach the diverter connector to the left ramp. I had a selection of metric screws and nuts that I purchased at Harbor Freight and I replaced the rivets with metric screws on that piece. This change worked fine and I have not had any issues. See attached photo.

Ramp Screws (resized).jpgRamp Screws (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bolts-instead-of-rivets?hl=vin-bot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.