(Topic ID: 193223)

Bolt size head-body connection

By PinballPianist

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bolts (resized).JPG
    20170711_085042-1.jpg
    20170711_084948.jpg
    DSCN1535 (resized).JPG
    DSCN1534 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hi everybody, I am looking for the right bolt size to attach heads and bodies of early 50ties pinballs. In Europe we deal with the metric system, therefore It's difficult for me to find out the right type of thread/bolt. Could anyone tell me what kind of thread I should use? Thanks!

DSCN1534 (resized).JPGDSCN1534 (resized).JPG

DSCN1535 (resized).JPGDSCN1535 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

My 1963 Gigi uses 3/8" x 4", 16 threads per inch.

20170711_084948.jpg20170711_084948.jpg
    20170711_085042-1.jpg20170711_085042-1.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I think the bolts of your Gigi are a bit bigger than the one I am looking for. Pls note picture, the big one is 3/8" (I guess), so maybe you have a suggestion for the small one too? Thanks!

Bolts (resized).JPGBolts (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

In your pic, the bolt on the left looks like someone substituted a leg bolt for the head. My experience is all are 3/8 x 16 threads and then you need to figure out the length.

#6 6 years ago

Unfortunately it's thinner than a leg bolt. But thanks for your suggestions!

#7 6 years ago

For all the trouble it takes. Why not remove the threaded sleeve nuts in the cabinet, and replace them metric equivalent. With new metric bolts. Do you plan to sell it back to North America?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPianist:

Maybe it's 5/16" - 18?

Do you need instructions for counting the threads or measuring the bolt diameter? 25.4 mm = 1 inch
    If you can't accurately measure the diameter, wrap a string or piece of tape around the bolt, then cut it, lay it flat, measure the length, divide by 3.14159 to find the diameter.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

For all the trouble it takes. Why not remove the threaded sleeve nuts in the cabinet, and replace them metric equivalent. With new metric bolts. Do you plan to sell it back to North America?

Yes that would be an option, but I am a bit of a freek in that sence. I like the machines to be as original as possible

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Do you need instructions for counting the threads or measuring the bolt diameter? 25.4 mm = 1 inch
    If you can't accurately measure the diameter, wrap a string or piece of tape around the bolt, then cut it, lay it flat, measure the length, divide by 3.14159 to find the diameter.

Hi thanks for your suggestion. Interesting to know. I found out the sizes, it turned out to be 5/16" - 18. I bought 100 pcs at Ebay an hour ago. Thanks all for your suggestions!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bolt-size-head-body-connection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.