Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

health-alert-youre-taking-crap-wrong-is-you-poop-properly.w654.jpg
FNXKIPKFD2IBRXG.LARGE.jpg
Screenshot 2013-11-29 12.35.13.png
Screenshot 2013-11-29 12.37.09.png
BT_3_bogus.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 10 years ago

be nice to do a 'paired comparison' ranking system and see how they compare. In that method you are presented with two games, and you pick which is "better". Obviously you need to have some level of knowledge of a game to make a decision, but that is true of the current system. This would at least for an individual get a clear ranking of the games they are qualified to rank. That can be combined with those of others to get a ranking that eliminates some of the variation in what I think a '6' (or 10) is and what someone else thinks it is. Ultimately this also gives an individuals ranked list greater accuracy then just 'rank your top 10'.

It could be set up that you select X of the top 100 games you are qualified to rank. With some explanation for what qualified means (e.g. you have played it more then X times, you have at minimum, a basic understanding of the rules/objectives of the game, etc.). The system randomly picks two games to present to you to pick which is better. It does this until all combinations are completed and a rank is generated. There are probably only a handful of people who are "qualified" to rank all of the top 100 games.

You would not need to complete your rankings in a single session, just like the current system. You could just pick a game you have played, and have the system then make you rank it against each other game you have previously ranked. Betting we would find for lots of folks, that between two games the game they ranked higher, is not the same they ranked higher when doing it on the rating scale.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

The first time I played MM it was a piece of crap.

Not sure I could accurately rate a game I played on just one occasion. Artwork, sound sure, but rule set, probably not. I know the first time I played TSPP I could not understand why people thought it was so great, once I understood the rules of the game, my whole view of it changed.

I played a couple of games of WOZ at expo. While I can tell you I found the sound to be annoying and hard to understand, I don't feel I have played it enough to rate it fairly. I have some first impressions, but don't feel I have had enough time on it to rate it.

MB is another game I thought very little of the first time I played. The one I played was not in great shape and I did not really understand the rules. Once I did and got to play one without a credit dot, I gained a new appreciation for the game.

The condition of the machine is a very good point, most of us have played the same game and found it very different based on how it is tuned. I had a BK2K that was totally dialed in, and had people comment they had played it many times before, but that it was so much more enjoyable on my machine. Lots of people mad at me that I let it go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bogus-ratings?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.