Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

health-alert-youre-taking-crap-wrong-is-you-poop-properly.w654.jpg
FNXKIPKFD2IBRXG.LARGE.jpg
Screenshot 2013-11-29 12.35.13.png
Screenshot 2013-11-29 12.37.09.png
BT_3_bogus.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Dearest Pinside community...

I thought Robin invented the "bogus flag" button to allow the community to flag the "1" and "10" ratings that dirty the ratings on games, since no game is ever a 1 or a 10 -- not to allow us to flag ratings we disagree with, because they aren't high enough for pins we personally favor.

I just reviewed my 24 ratings, most of which have clear comments for the ratings. Most of my ratings are 7 through 9 -- with a few exceptions -- I see that my (5.992) rating for WoZ got 5 "bogus" ratings. Completely hilarious. I'm left wondering how a 5.9 on a scale of 1 to 10 is bogus.

This means there are at least FIVE soul-crushed WoZ fans out there, who may mark your rating "bogus" if you don't give their game a high rating -- you will get voted off their fantasy island of "OMG. this pin rulez, you are the one who is bogus!"

I guess I'll submit a feature request to Robin that we allow our alleged "bogus ratings" to be reviewed so that Robin can pinpoint the people who are abusing (or are confused about) the bogus button -- in order to somehow improve the system. (If a rating is considered "not bogus" by a moderator, perhaps all "flags" can be reset on the rating and then all bogus flags set by that person can be undone.)

(I did a little more research, and found nine or ten "10" ratings that have 0 or 1 bogus flag(s) on them. So apparently, the "bogus flag's" use right now (in WoZ-land and possibly elsewhere) is only to pump the ratings, not to remove actual bogus ratings of 1 and 10.) I also found another four or five people like me, with "average" WoZ ratings in the 5 or 6 range, who all have 2 or more bogus marks.

Conclusions: (if we "try to make sense" of the 'bogus flags')
1. It's not bogus to rate WOZ a 10.
2. It's bogus to rate WOZ less than a 7.

Is this really what was intended by implementing this system?

-mof

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

A sub 6 rating sounds pretty bogus to me. Just sayin'.

Hey, I'm down with that -- if the majority feels that way -- that every pinball game designed deserves "1st place, a trophy, and a hug"...

Then let's change the rating system to ONLY go between 6 and 10 -- as in... "All games are 'better than average', ALL."

Think about that one for a second... "All games are better than AVERAGE."

lol !

=)

-mof

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't think everyone uses "school grading".

Correct. I tested your numbers of 6.6, and I got slightly different results.

If he got confused about the system, it means others are likely confused about it as well. Sounds like Robin needs to put a tutorial up front on what the rating scale is, and what an "Average" rating is.

In the meantime, I'll try and figure out what an "Average" rating is in the system both from a math point of view, and from just clicking the buttons.

I just tried a few things... I opened up a new rating, and marked everything a 1, then a 2 , then 3, etc... (go try it)

There are 6 dots you can mark up. 1,2,3,4,5,6.

If you mark everything 1, the final score is 1.00 (1.00 for dot 1)
If you mark everything 2, the final score is 2.50 (1.50 for dot 2)
If you mark everything 3, the final score is 5.25 (2.75 for dot 3) (5.25 for the first 3 dots)
If you mark everything 4, the final score is 6.80 (1.55 for dot 4)
If you mark everything 5, the final score is 8.00 (1.20 for dot 5)
If you mark everything 6, the final score is 10.00 (2.00 for dot 6) (4.75 for the final 3 dots)

I am a bit surprised by the results.

If you want to figure the numerical average of this system, (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10=55/10)=5.5

If you want to figure the average of this system based on clicking the dots... The average in this scale is actually some strange point in between 5.25 (3 dots) and 6.80 (4 dots) -- so the average rating is roughly... 6.025 -- since 3.5 dots would be an "average" rating on this scale.

Conclusion: the average in the pinside system is 5.5 or 6.025 or somewhere in between, depending on Robin's curve.

This means my rating of 5.99 for WOZ is "average", in your School system model, I just gave WOZ a "C" grade. It is the most non-bogus rating possible. Not a 1. Not a 10.

-mof

#38 10 years ago

Can anyone find the OP where Robin explicitly states the intention behind adding the "bogus flag" ?

My intention behind the thread is to ask the question: Are we using the bogus flag as intended by Robin?
I think the desired outcome was to have "more reliable ratings." Are we now achieving that with its current implementation?

I'm not sure what the correlation is now between the bonus flag, and having more reliable ratings. As far as I can tell, this feature just now hides ratings from people who don't vote 7's or higher on the more popular machines.

-mof

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

A "7" would be "average" by the common measure, which I consider the school grading system. 7 would be a "C" - 70% out of 100 and considered "average".
A 6 would be a D...and anything under 6 a D minus, which is decidedly below average. Personally I think anything in the 5's could be considered an "F"...otherwise known as a failing grade.

5 people agreed to this "line of reasoning." (quoted above)

This motivates me to help those who are struggling to see how the Pinside system is quite different from other rating systems. I'll try to show how in as few words and steps as possible to demonstrate the difference.

Take the quiz below, and let everyone know how it turns out. If you get it 100% correct, you can thumbs up this post to let everyone know you got 100%! No peeking!

(I'll post the answers at the bottom of the post, to not spoil it.)

QUIZ
1. What is the average LETTER choice in this 5 point scale?: F-D-C-B-A?
2. What is the average PHRASE choice in this 6 point scale?: "terrible", "poor", "not so good", "decent", "good", "excellent"
3. What number (60-100) do we typically assign to C in the US school system? (If your answer is +/-5 of the answer I give, you get this right)
4. What number would we assign as an average score in a system that goes from 1 to 10? (Now multiply that number by 10)
5. Does 75 equal 55?

Bonus question (If you want to earn a 6 out of 5 score!): What makes these two systems so different?

the
answers
are
way
down
here
don't
cheat
santa
is
watching

Answers: 1.C, 2.'the midpoint between "not so good" and "decent"', 3. 75, 4. 55, 5. no.

To learn more about Likert scales: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Likert_scale
To learn more about school grading systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading_(education)

Both are good reads.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

How is the answer to 4) 5.5 if its multiplied by ten?

TY for the proofread, corrected !
-mof

6 months later
#95 9 years ago

It's always cool to see a good 'ole thread necro'd.
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 91.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bogus-ratings?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.