Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DefaultGen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

health-alert-youre-taking-crap-wrong-is-you-poop-properly.w654.jpg
FNXKIPKFD2IBRXG.LARGE.jpg
Screenshot 2013-11-29 12.35.13.png
Screenshot 2013-11-29 12.37.09.png
BT_3_bogus.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ilthuain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

A 5.92 rating puts WOZ in 279th place just above "Bugs Bunny Birthday Bash"....really?

Maybe a reviewer enjoys Bugs Bunny Birthday Bash more? Do you think there are enough people who enjoy Bugs more than WOZ to warp the rankings in a significant way?

Reviews here are strange compared to other hobby sites. On Boardgamegeek, for example, if a player isn't a fan of a game and rates it a 3.0, there isn't much questioning about their motive. They just didn't like it. Maybe they thought the art was poor or the theme didn't work for them or they had a bad playing experience or whatever else. There isn't a lot of pressure to rate a game at least "X" because it is OBVIOUSLY GOOD. The user's rating is supposed to reflect what that user thought of the game, and nothing else. If one guy thinks Twilight Struggle is crap it doesn't matter, because there are 50 people who think it's great.

Sure, there are bogus ratings, like if a designer says something bone-headed and gets piled-on, but for the most part, the negative and the positive balance out and the eventual rating gives a glimpse of how many players enjoyed their experience with the product.

I played WOZ at the Pinball Hall of Fame. I didn't care for the sound or the lighting. The art was well executed, but the animations on the LCD looked cheap and reminded me of a slot machine. To another person, the animations probably look great. Both of our opinions are valid. They would rate it higher than I would, some would rate it lower, and eventually we would discover how many people like the animations out of a given sample. That's the point of the user reviews. Removing all reviews that dissent from the norm doesn't improve your result, it distorts it.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Who is removing all views? I disagree with the view WOZ should be ranked with Bugs, that all....folks!

I assumed that reviews marked as "bogus" wouldn't be included in the aggregate score. If they still are, then I suppose there isn't an issue.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

As a side note. I can not wrap my head around why anyone would want to rate a pin before software is done.

You can always go back and revise your rating.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I'm sure your the exception not the rule.

Why are you sure of that? My board game reviews are constantly being revised as my opinion changes over time. Most people I know who have large collections enjoy going back and looking at their old ratings and revising them. It's kinda like experience scrapbooking. I haven't started reviewing pins but I'm sure those will change with time as well.

When I first played Seawitch, I thought it was janky and irritating. Now it's in my top 5. My opinion changed. I wouldn't rate a game based on what I believe its objective value is to other people, I rate games based on my experience with it.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Maybe it is/was. But to me, when the scale would appear to be from 1-10, a 5.something rating connotes a D-. Far below average. To say that WOZ is far worse than most pins ever made "sounds" (that's the word I used originally. Not "is". Sounds.) "bogus".

That would be an issue with the presentation of the scale, and not the review itself. The user is asked to rate each field with a 1-6. They are not asked to give a percentage.

And still, it's subjective. If I tend to enjoy most pins and I am very forgiving of their shortcomings, the division between the top 10% and the bottom 10% might be between 4 and 6 in each category. If I am more critical, then a pin that scores a 5 in gameplay might be one of my favorites because I reserve 6 for my absolute favorite.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 12.99
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ilthuain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside