(Topic ID: 174074)

Bobby Orr's Power Play - From scrapper to power player - Done!

By PhilGreg

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinslot
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 313 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1231 (resized).JPG
IMG_1126 (resized).jpg
IMG_1125 (resized).jpg
IMG_1120 (resized).jpg
IMG_1118 (resized).jpg
IMG_1114 (resized).jpg
IMG_1112 (resized).jpg
IMG_1110 (resized).jpg
IMG_1108 (resized).jpg
IMG_1103 (resized).jpg
IMG_1209 (resized).jpg
IMG_1206 (resized).jpg
IMG_1205 (resized).jpg
IMG_1203 (resized).jpg
IMG_1202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1180 (resized).jpg

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 1 year ago

Nice work enjoyed the trip and looks like your QC assistant had fun. As for the kick out metal part if you PM me a pic i may have one. I have a fully populated playfield I am going to make fancy wall art out of for my son who is a Massive Blackhawks fan. Doubt he would notice a missing bracket. lol. Good Job!

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Nice work enjoyed the trip and looks like your QC assistant had fun. As for the kick out metal part if you PM me a pic i may have one. I have a fully populated playfield I am going to make fancy wall art out of for my son who is a Massive Blackhawks fan. Doubt he would notice a missing bracket. lol. Good Job!

Thank you - once I'm done I'll take the time to take some nice pics and maybe do a digest video of the before / after.
As for the bracket kinda thing, it's what sticks out of the two parallel holes at the bottom and that props up the ball so that it makes contact with the switch. I tried to make one late last night and when I came to try it, found out I made it too short and didn't feel like doing it again.
I'll wait for my part to come in and if I don't like it I'll let you know.
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be soldered in the back.

pasted_image (resized).png

#253 1 year ago

Jeff at classic arcades made me a custom set of targets for mine. They look great.

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Thank you - once I'm done I'll take the time to take some nice pics and maybe do a digest video of the before / after.
As for the bracket kinda thing, it's what sticks out of the two parallel holes at the bottom and that props up the ball so that it makes contact with the switch. I tried to make one late last night and when I came to try it, found out I made it too short and didn't feel like doing it again.
I'll wait for my part to come in and if I don't like it I'll let you know.
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be soldered in the back.

Let me know. I pulled the playfield and it does look like its brazed on of sorts (looks like they did it with lava!) If it works you can have it.

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

Jeff at classic arcades made me a custom set of targets for mine. They look great.

Be interested in seeing a picture! Not a big fan of Jeff's work as it's not the best quality but would be neat to see the targets! Were the hot stamped?

1 month later
#256 1 year ago

Alright, calling this one done.

After the hundreds of hours I spent over I guess the last few years on this, I'll spend a few hours to do a decent photo shoot and video. Here's a sneak peak in the meantime.

IMG_1098 (resized).JPG
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

#257 1 year ago

Here you are !! The game is taking life and looks great. Been watching this one a while now. Congrats.....

#258 1 year ago

One word....stunning

#259 1 year ago

Thanks folks! Again, just a quick teaser. I'll do a proper photo shoot / video in the next weeks when I get the time and maybe a before/after side by side.

#260 1 year ago

Congrats on wrapping up such a restoration, inspiring!!

#261 1 year ago

Looks great. You should be very proud.

#262 1 year ago

Nice! What LED's are you using in the GI?

#263 1 year ago
Quoted from tominator:

Nice! What LED's are you using in the GI?

COMET TWIN 2835 SMD - SUNLIGHT - FROSTED

#265 1 year ago

Alright folks!

The full before/after hi-res gallery is back at post 1:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bobby-orrs-power-play-from-scrapper-to-power-player#post-3458154

Thanks for following this!

Next step, I'll open up a spot in the lineup and finally play it a bit now that I've immortalized it.

#267 1 year ago

Awesome video....really like the closeup on the chime box at the beginning and the song choice. Kudos to you sir.

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Awesome video....really like the closeup on the chime box at the beginning and the song choice. Kudos to you sir.

Thank you sir! Can't go wrong with old Stompin' Tom!

#269 1 year ago

That video was great. I've recently been using some of my spare time to go through and follow/read several of this full retoration threads as I work up the courage to do my own. Yours was one of the first I began to read, great to see the finished video.

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

That video was great. I've recently been using some of my spare time to go through and follow/read several of this full retoration threads as I work up the courage to do my own. Yours was one of the first I began to read, great to see the finished video.

Thank you! It's kind of a catch 22. If the machine is destroyed it's not a big deal if you mess it up but it's a huge workload. If it's already in an ok shape, then not as much work but it's worse if you do mess it up.
I guess you want to find something in the middle to try your hand first, a not so desirable EM that's in not too bad a shape to begin with.

#271 1 year ago

Well done Sir.. she's a beauty once again!
And now to add a Bobby Orr to my wanted list .. lol

#272 1 year ago

Back in the lineup to live happily ever after...

IMG_1231 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#273 1 year ago

PhilGreg,
At a loss for the proper adjectives to describe your AMAZING work and attention to detail! Having done a few "restorations" of my own (not the quality of yours for sure), its a buttload of work!! Superb job!! And thanks so much for documenting it for us, that's a job in itself. Loved the video as well! Enjoy your NEW Bobby Orr game!

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from Bally-High1966:

PhilGreg,
At a loss for the proper adjectives to describe your AMAZING work and attention to detail! Having done a few "restorations" of my own (not the quality of yours for sure), its a buttload of work!! Superb job!! And thanks so much for documenting it for us, that's a job in itself. Loved the video as well! Enjoy your NEW Bobby Orr game!

Thank you for the kind words! The work was its own reward and I must say I must have played no more than 20 games since I finished, but my internal satisfaction counter really got a nice boost. Since the pin was such a beater to begin with, I think I've picked up some pretty good skills along the way. I'll see if I have the courage to undertake another resto anytime soon.

#275 1 year ago

It is a very nice job and it was a pleasure to follow!

#276 1 year ago

Wow. Considering the dumpster fire you started with, this restoration is beyond impressive. I love seeing turds being polished into diamonds.

#277 1 year ago

WOW is that awesome. Great work.

#278 1 year ago

BOPP is a one of the best early EEs IMO and you have given that junker a new lease of life with that fantastic resto job. Thx also for the inspiring documentation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vancouver, BC
850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sylvania, OH
$ 279.95
$ 149.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 21.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 149.00
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside