CAM01123.jpg
CAM01124.jpg
CAM01099.jpg
CAM01098.jpg
CAM01097.jpg
image-264.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hello,
I am looking for some help with a Bally Bobby Orr Power Play. I am not familiar with repairing machines or anything but my fiancee and I are keeping his parents bobby orr machine for the time being and when we moved it to our house a few days ago it won't start a new game. It was working just fine before the move and we have rechecked all the connections, it turns on and plays the little jingle and then all the displays just flash numbers and pushing the start button doesn't start a game and the flippers also are not working. Seeing we aren't to familiar with repairing machines I'm hoping it may just be a reset issue of sorts. I have a video of what is going on seeing I may not be explaining it right but it isn't letting me upload to the post. Well I hope someone can give us some sort of answers. Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

upload the video to youtube then post the link.

#3 9 years ago

try turning it on wait till its boots up then open the coin door. There should be a little red button on the back side of the coin door thats the test button. push it to run though the test 1 lamps will flash lamps 2 will do the displays 3 will fire the coils 4 will be the sound test and 5 will be your switch test when you get to that point you should have 00 flashing in the match part of your display. Now push the start button and the switch number should come up on all four of the players displays. That would be a starting point.

#4 9 years ago

Did you try simply dropping coins in there? There's no free play setting on those machines unless it's been modified, maybe you're just out of credits.

#6 9 years ago

And this is set up for free I believe because it originally came from my fiancee's grandfather and he is a big pinball collector.

#7 9 years ago

I forgot to add that we tried the self test button and it didn't do anything

#8 9 years ago

Are you sure the game has credits on it? There's a window to the left of the ball in play number that needs to read at least 1. If you see two zeros (00), there are no credits and the game won't start. You can drop a coin in or manually depress the coin trip lever on the coin mechanism. He's a pic of a Bally pin with two credits on it, ready to start a game...

image-264.jpgimage-264.jpg

#9 9 years ago

Heather your video is set to private, so we can't view it.

#10 9 years ago

Check the two tilt mechanisms. If either are off (I'm thinking the ball on the track), the start button won't work.

#11 9 years ago

Make sure the two plugs on the right side of the MPU computer board is plugged in correctly.

I think there a plug near the coin door as well. Make sure that didnt get pulled off. Make sure you have the ground braid attached at the head where it goes down into the cabinet too.

#12 9 years ago

Sorry about the video I fixed that. It says it has 6 credits and we have tried coins and flipping the coin trip. Where are the two tilt mechanisms?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from heatherangel87:

Where are the two tilt mechanisms?

Lift the playfield. The plum bob is on the left side... looks like a pendulum hanging on a wire in a circle. Make sure it's not touching the outside. The ball/track is on the left side against the cabinet. Make sure the ball is all of the way forward.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Thunder424:

Lift the playfield. The plum bob is on the left side... looks like a pendulum hanging on a wire in a circle. Make sure it's not touching the outside. The ball/track is on the left side against the cabinet. Make sure the ball is all of the way forward.

I found everything you said but i see no ball. We found this metal piece in the coin box as well. CAM01099.jpgCAM01099.jpgCAM01098.jpgCAM01098.jpgCAM01097.jpgCAM01097.jpg

#15 9 years ago

You might want to verify that the start button switch is actually closing when the button is pressed, and that the contacts are clean...although it sounds more like a switch wiring or matrix issue given that the test button won't get you into test mode. The plumb bob is off of the rod...but make sure the rod isn't touching the surrounding metal ring. The roll tilt ball is missing...not unusual...still check the switch portion in the channel that the ball would touch for shorts, etc.

#16 9 years ago

I understand everything you are saying up until the switch portion in the channel haha. His grandfather would help us but he's in Tennessee and in the hospital.

#17 9 years ago

I hope he's doing better. So on the ball roll tilt, the ball acts as the switch, making electrical contact between the channel that it rolls in and the little metal tab at the end of the channel. If someone lifts the machine, the ball rolls to the end and closes the switch causing a tilt. Make sure the tab isn't touching the channel. There are also slam tilt switches on the coin door and often under the playfield. They usually have a small weight at the end of the switch leaf...one of those could be out of adjustment. Also, make sure that the coin trip wires are not stuck in the down position...they should spring back up after a quarter goes through. These are just a few of many possibilities. It could be a broken wire, bad switch capacitor, cold solder joint at a header connection...lots of things. I always check the easy things first. Best of luck.

#18 9 years ago

Your above pictures show one of the main tilt mechanisms. The "metal piece" you found would have been hanging from a wire through a metal "circle" below the "channel". Imagine if you jolted the machine hard enough to make the "metal thing" touch the metal circle. That causes the machine to "tilt." In addition there would have been a little ball laying in the channel. Imagine if someone picked up the front of the machine high enough for the ball to roll to the other end causing a "tilt." (This happened all the time in bars--that's why pinball machines have "tilts".) At any rate, the absence of these parts should not cause the game to start a new game--UNLESS one of the switches (like the one at the far end of the "channel") that tells the game there is a tilt is stuck closed or shorted. I know this is alot, but I felt you needed to understand these basics as you proceed.

#19 9 years ago

No it all makes sense and I appreciate all the input but if it is something electrical which by the sounds of it is and we don't want to start messing with that kind of stuff. It is probably going back to his grandfather in a few months and he will be able to fix it. I was just trying to see if it could be something simple we could try and fix to get it working.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Make sure the two plugs on the right side of the MPU computer board is plugged in correctly.
I think there a plug near the coin door as well. Make sure that didnt get pulled off. Make sure you have the ground braid attached at the head where it goes down into the cabinet too.

I agree you have a connector issue. Either something is shifted a pin or you swapped a couple of connectors. They shuold be keyed so that you can't put the wrong connector on the wrong header, but maybe the key plugs have been removed. The goofed up displays are a pretty big indicator here. Again, these are the two connectors on the right edge of the MPU.

#21 9 years ago

We have checked those connectors and they seem to be in correct and they are keyed so maybe its a bad line or something. I do have some pictures from the inside I know it would be hard to tell from pictures but if anyone sees anything wrong let me know! CAM01124.jpgCAM01124.jpgCAM01123.jpgCAM01123.jpgCAM01122.jpgCAM01122.jpgCAM01121.jpgCAM01121.jpg

CAM01124.jpgCAM01124.jpg CAM01123.jpgCAM01123.jpg CAM01122.jpgCAM01122.jpg CAM01121.jpgCAM01121.jpg
#22 9 years ago

My opinion? Simply connector issues. I rebuild all connectors in the back box except for the light board...unless it obviously needs it. Simple thing, but unplug and reseat all the connectors on the MPU and the Solenoid driver board. If things change, it is simply a demonstration that the plugs/pins are corroded.

#23 9 years ago

Well we unplugged all the connectors and plugged them back in but now it isn't doing anything the displays aren't even working. It sounds like a connector/wiring issue and that is out of our league. It'll be up to my fiancées grandfather to fix it when it goes back to Tennessee.

#24 9 years ago

You check the fuses to see if they were good?

#25 9 years ago

How would you do that?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from heatherangel87:

How would you do that?

Well several ways, one way is to look at the fuse and see if you can see a break in the filament. A visual inspection is not always the best way as a fuse can appear to be good when in fact it's not. You can get a multi-meter or even go to a local auto parts store or Home Depot/Lowes and get a fuse tester like ebay.com link: Cooper Bussmann Fuse tester and puller BP FT 3 RP

I would just look at the fuses first to see if there are any that appear to be damaged! Just look in the back cabinet on the right side you will see the fuses (see picture below).

IMG_3617.JPGIMG_3617.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bobby-orr-power-play-new-game-not-starting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.