• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200723_200405 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider geeter83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello - I recently noticed my BOPP was seemingly missing a ROM Chip from the MPU (see attached picture). I ordered a new MPU board, along with SDB and Lamp Driver board mainly due to free time availability, however I'm curious if someone could help me with what that ROM Chip controlled? I have the schematic, but no matter how much I enlarge it, I can't read the writing on the version I have for the MPU Control Board. (The chip missing is U1)

Subsequent question, is the U1 displayed on the MPU schematic the same as the blown up version for the Lamp Driver Schematic? If so, then it would appear U1 is controlling roughly 16 different lights, all of which would be out on my playfield.

Also, notice the jumper wire on U2 that connects to R14. This doesn't appear on the schematic, any idea what this is for?

Thanks so much!

20200723_200405 (resized).jpg20200723_200405 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Thanks all! Not going to lie, most of those posts are above my head, but I'm feeling better about my new MPU board purchase as it sounds like I'd have to reverse engineer some of the mods made to the machine over the past 50 years.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

can't see the back of it but besides the erpom hack that mpu looks pretty clean compared to most. could probably cut the battery off and toss it up on ebay as is and make up some of the new MPU cost back. someone who likes to repair boards would buy that.

I cut the battery off last night. Battery removal on these older MPU boards shows up as the very first step on almost all posts, figured I would follow suit. Correct, overall, the board is in really good condition, no leakage or corrosion anywhere. Thanks for the tip about eBay!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

Apologies, this specific topic belongs in SS. I have always struggled with where to tag BOPP as it is both SS and EM.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

BOPP isn't EM. Some earlier games like Mata-Hari had EM and SS versions, but even then a specific game is either an EM or an SS.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! How does one move or change the tags on my post? Sorry, I'm relatively new to Pinside and am gathering so much information from this community! Am blown away with the responsiveness and helpfulness of others. Thank you so much

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider geeter83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bobby-orr-power-play-mpu-missing-rom-chip?tu=geeter83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.