Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by benheck
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    Solo-A-Star-Wars-Story-World-Premiere-kathleen-kennedy-bob-iger-624x416 (resized).jpg
    33659992884E2DA2DCCA00D7BB0F (resized).jpg
    GettyImages-629041738-e1530278111197 (resized).jpg
    38AA6F1C-2B82-402F-9560-5A493548A3FB (resized).png
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

all these fools and their ridiculous sums of money and yet they REFUSE to let me just build them an ultimate pinball gameroom on their estate

That is a true scandal ! When I was in the high end hifi business, my richest clients were also my cheapest, I had way more mid income people who would get a credit to build their dream sound system.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Hate to tell you this, but Chapek, who has been with the company since 1993, has been chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products since 2018.

I'm aware. Just hoping trends will change regardless but not optimistic about that.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars the way she ruined Indiana Jones... with thunderous applause.

Walt would be rolling in his grave if he saw the agitprop this corp puts out now.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars the way...

Kind of the way Lucas ruined it, but not as much? That's a tough call for sure. She's been in charge of more bad movies, but also there's actually a good on win there which sort of edges out beardsly.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

I'm aware. Just hoping trends will change regardless but not optimistic about that.

Actually, you're correct in that his replacement could make some positive changes, assuming Chapek approves them. His comments throughout the years on what the parks and brand means to him isn't encouraging.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Actually, you're correct in that his replacement could make some positive changes, assuming Chapek approves them. His comments throughout the years on what the parks and brand means to him isn't encouraging.

Chapek is Pressler 2.0. It will be another dark era for the parks if he's not a temporary choice.

1 week later
    #57 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Headlines are designed to grab attention. Those following the company know far more than what the headline tries to scream.
    He was set to expire in 2018, but they extended him in 2017 to 2019. Then in 2019 they extended him another 3 years to 2021. The topic of 'when will Iger leave' has been a topic for this entire decade. The last major fallouts were when he shuffled Rasulo and Staggs in a move to groom Staggs and then they told Staggs he wasn't going to get it. This was in 2016 and everyone had been expecting Iger to step down with his contract up in 2018. That's when the real panic was happening... as there seemed to be no plan and they had just gotten rid of the top two internal candidates with no other real work in the pipeline.
    A recap from the time - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/business/media/behind-the-scenes-at-disney-as-it-purged-a-favorite-son.html
    Then Iger was extended and it started the 'staying on to see Shanghai through', etc.. and then it was so bullish, that everyone was begging Iger to stay on longer.. and we got the 2019 extension. But even after that, Iger had said multiple times he was planning to step down after that deal. But the stock had been so bullish, he was looked at as the key to keeping the run going.

No, she was already in charge at Lucasfilm BEFORE the sale of the company (She was Co-Chairman.. with Lucas) and her staying on was one of the contingencies of the deal. Lucas looked to her to maintain the identity he had established. The deal was she would takeover leadership of Lucasfilm as Lucas walked away. She was put there BY LUCAS in the deal... not picked out by Iger. She was Lucas' pick to be his guardian of his child.
    Obviously Iger had a say in the matter, but Kennedy wasn't Bob's work... that was Lucas'.

"...the perfect person to take-over the company was Kathy.."
    https://fortune.com/2015/09/10/kathleen-kennedy-lucasfilm-star-wars/
    “I racked my brain to figure out who do I trust … who understands the business side of it but also understands the creative side of it. And finally I banged into it and said, ‘Oh, my God, it’s Kathy.’ ”
    —George Lucas

You think he would slam her while she was still in position? Of course he's going to back her publicly. The irony is it was Chapek who was thought to be on the hotseat in the last 6months due to the botched openings of StarWars in the theme parks... and here they instead gave him the keys to the kingdom.
    Star Wars drama is off the table for TWDC investors right now... it's all about the digital transition away from the ESPN cashcow and trying to maintain the blockbuster pace the tentpole films and grow in the park's division numbers. Drama about The Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker, etc is in the past. The FUTURE of starwars is a question... but not causing fear in the investors. They are all giddy about the other talent Disney has waiting in the wings for star wars... Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni

Did you forget that Powell was out due to Star Wars tanking and the entire IP sliding into the garbage? It’s bleeding money. Disney was in talks to buy Lucasfilms for a long time, you don’t think that Iger and his drive for more executive women didn’t play a part in keeping her around? Lucas will say whatever he’s told as long as he’s making bank.
    Unfortunately the same happened to Mark Hamill. He had been sounding the alarm since before TLJ train wreck, and Disney clearly made him shut up.

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/09/disney-parks-president-steps-down-bb1/

I’m glad Iger is out. It’s too bad they don’t have a clear choice for someone to right the ship after these tumultuous years. They bought huge franchises and they’re bleeding them out faster than anticipated

2 weeks later
    #58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Did you forget that Powell was out due to Star Wars tanking and the entire IP sliding into the garbage? It’s bleeding money. Disney was in talks to buy Lucasfilms for a long time, you don’t think that Iger and his drive for more executive women didn’t play a part in keeping her around? Lucas will say whatever he’s told as long as he’s making bank.
    Unfortunately the same happened to Mark Hamill. He had been sounding the alarm since before TLJ train wreck, and Disney clearly made him shut up.

What is happening now 7 years later has nothing does not rewrite what happened before Disney bought Lucas and how KK came to be. So really all of the above is irrelevant to what was being corrected.

#59 4 years ago

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#60 4 years ago

In fairness Medmen had serious issues well before the pandemic.

#62 4 years ago

It's clear Bob Iger knew what was coming with the virus. He probably has more sources in China than the CIA.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bob-iger-abruptly-stepped-down-at-disney-today/page/2?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.