IMG_4517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4461 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4564 (resized).jpeg
Fishing Boat Wiring 6 (resized).jpg
Fishing Boat Wiring 5 (resized).jpg
Fishing Boat Wiring 2 (resized).jpg
Fishing Boat Wiring 3 (resized).jpg
There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 2 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

Oh for sure; after all the covid buyers unload...

Like they will with pinball? I think lots of people, especially city people, will discover how fun it is to be outside and away from everything. Campers, trailers and boats will for sure have lots on the market in a few years, but not the numbers everyone thinks. More for sale for sure, but it won't be a total dump, partly because people are financing and won't be able to get out if they put minimal down. You can get 12 to 15 year contracts which is just insane, my opinion.

#302 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Like they will with pinball? I think lots of people, especially city people, will discover how fun it is to be outside and away from everything. Campers, trailers and boats will for sure have lots on the market in a few years, but not the numbers everyone thinks. More for sale for sure, but it won't be a total dump, partly because people are financing and won't be able to get out if they put minimal down. You can get 12 to 15 year contracts which is just insane, my opinion.

Without totally derailing this thread, I'll offer my quick observations, haha.

There is ALWAYS a market for truly QUALITY made luxury goods. These items will almost always hold their value (assuming they are maintained), and in some cases, appreciate beyond market inflation, although they usually have a very high cost of entrance for the initial purchaser. See Rolex watches, Donzi speedboats, Airstream campers, Beechcraft airplanes, etc.

Now compared to run-of-the-mill goods, that many people purchase to give the APPEARANCE of wealth, these generally depreciate faster than most people can afford to make the payments on, tending to leave the market flooded with economy brands that sell for pennies on the dollar.

That said, as soon as production normalizes with demand, we will see the market flooded with second/third tier luxury goods that have lost much of their initial purchase value. Example: Two years ago, you couldn't give away a 5 year old Coachman camper, a 5 year old Bayliner, or most any Harley Davidson. Obviously current demand has driven up the cost of these lower priced items on the second hand market, but they soon will renormalize to their lower priced places in their respective markets.

Also, many people would rather just go back to going on vacations a couple times a year and going out to dinner more often with their expendable income than dealing with the expense and hassle of owning and maintaining/storing/insuring/fueling a toy. I've known many people that decided boating/camping/riding/flying wasn't for them after going all in on expensive purchases without prior experience.

Back to the topic of boats...and specifically the Switch.

I almost wish they had made the Switch as more of a pontoon "shell" that could be taken off the base wave runner, so you could use it as both a 'toon and a 'ski. That would be more suited to the "Switch" name (Yes, I realize it's because you can reconfigure the footprint of the boat with the modular seating).

Of course though, we all know how this idea works out for other products that are "convertible", whether it's pinball machines, power equipment, motorcycles...

#303 2 years ago

A tornado hit here in Annapolis last week and crossed the South River. We were out on the boat yesterday and saw where it crossed. Feel so bad for those impacted.

8E3A449E-476F-4D54-89A1-DA2A611C5ADE (resized).jpeg8E3A449E-476F-4D54-89A1-DA2A611C5ADE (resized).jpeg
#304 2 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

Without totally derailing this thread, I'll offer my quick observations, haha.
There is ALWAYS a market for truly QUALITY made luxury goods. These items will almost always hold their value (assuming they are maintained), and in some cases, appreciate beyond market inflation, although they usually have a very high cost of entrance for the initial purchaser. See Rolex watches, Donzi speedboats, Airstream campers, Beechcraft airplanes, etc.
Now compared to run-of-the-mill goods, that many people purchase to give the APPEARANCE of wealth, these generally depreciate faster than most people can afford to make the payments on, tending to leave the market flooded with economy brands that sell for pennies on the dollar.
That said, as soon as production normalizes with demand, we will see the market flooded with second/third tier luxury goods that have lost much of their initial purchase value. Example: Two years ago, you couldn't give away a 5 year old Coachman camper, a 5 year old Bayliner, or most any Harley Davidson. Obviously current demand has driven up the cost of these lower priced items on the second hand market, but they soon will renormalize to their lower priced places in their respective markets.
Also, many people would rather just go back to going on vacations a couple times a year and going out to dinner more often with their expendable income than dealing with the expense and hassle of owning and maintaining/storing/insuring/fueling a toy. I've known many people that decided boating/camping/riding/flying wasn't for them after going all in on expensive purchases without prior experience.
Back to the topic of boats...and specifically the Switch.
I almost wish they had made the Switch as more of a pontoon "shell" that could be taken off the base wave runner, so you could use it as both a 'toon and a 'ski. That would be more suited to the "Switch" name (Yes, I realize it's because you can reconfigure the footprint of the boat with the modular seating).
Of course though, we all know how this idea works out for other products that are "convertible", whether it's pinball machines, power equipment, motorcycles...

you mean one of these

#305 2 years ago

Yes! I could have sworn they offered them factory YEARS ago, but my memory escapes me.

#306 2 years ago

First oops on the water in 10 years. Let's see how long this takes to get a new tube made.
Nobody was injured but my pride took a good hit.
No leaks still floats and the dock was just scratched.

20210906_131903 (resized).jpg20210906_131903 (resized).jpg
#307 2 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

First oops on the water in 10 years. Let's see how long this takes to get a new tube made.
Nobody was injured but my pride took a good hit.
No leaks still floats and the dock was just scratched. [quoted image]

Saturday on the Wolf River? Between the high water and strong winds out of the north, I saw plenty of people have problems trying to dock.

#308 2 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Saturday on the Wolf River? Between the high water and strong winds out of the north, I saw plenty of people have problems trying to dock.

Yes on the Wolf, I bumped throttle on accident.

1 month later
#309 2 years ago

Been off pinside for awhile, doing the catch up game! But as the season has ended my boat is out of water and in the shop being fixed and winterized. If anyone owned a 2002 to 2007 Nautique they would understand my pain! I was surprised to learn that they ran water(speedo tubes) through a electrical box. That just sounds bad in all kinds of way's. So, 4 grand later I will have my awesome wake board boat back and waiting for next season!

#310 2 years ago
895FD6EF-982A-41B3-ACD2-334B6CC249B7 (resized).jpeg895FD6EF-982A-41B3-ACD2-334B6CC249B7 (resized).jpeg
#311 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/boats-owners-thread/page/3#post-5044019

2003 Nautique Owner. Plenty familiar. Are you on Planet Nautique?

#312 2 years ago

Yes, But it has been awhile since I have been on.

#313 2 years ago

Terrible quality picture but we are out for the season just parked the boat for the season. New tube for Tritoon is at the dealer. Also shopping for a 24 to 28 single screw power boat.

20211019_185618 (resized).jpg20211019_185618 (resized).jpg
#314 2 years ago

Hoping to put mine back in for the thanksgiving week. As much as i bitch about California. It is nice to have this weather.

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from Lawnboy:

Lake Michigan this Father’s Day. The lake was like glass. My daughter drove the boat form Port Washington to Milwuakee and also parked it in the slip.
[quoted image][quoted image]

We are in for a ride on that amazing vessel next summer!

#316 2 years ago

Till next year!

303D737E-8907-4739-816D-BEC68E8A6C91 (resized).jpeg303D737E-8907-4739-816D-BEC68E8A6C91 (resized).jpegCDFEE562-FC89-4F09-92F7-5083409755C8 (resized).jpegCDFEE562-FC89-4F09-92F7-5083409755C8 (resized).jpeg
#317 2 years ago
Quoted from Zplumb:

We are in for a ride on that amazing vessel next summer!

Let’s make it happen. Boat went into storage last week. Sad day.

1DC01DFF-9878-4D28-961B-EF7A3C695882 (resized).jpeg1DC01DFF-9878-4D28-961B-EF7A3C695882 (resized).jpeg6FD0F168-6CC2-4D2E-9538-C7DA6846CF52 (resized).jpeg6FD0F168-6CC2-4D2E-9538-C7DA6846CF52 (resized).jpegBCFED068-67B0-4BB5-BFA4-811A164B4348 (resized).jpegBCFED068-67B0-4BB5-BFA4-811A164B4348 (resized).jpegDE7900B9-1329-487D-BB05-D789DC85209D (resized).jpegDE7900B9-1329-487D-BB05-D789DC85209D (resized).jpegEEC9EFC4-F3D0-4383-B3DA-2CF698BE20EF (resized).jpegEEC9EFC4-F3D0-4383-B3DA-2CF698BE20EF (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#318 2 years ago

Lake Butte des Morts was opening up on Friday, I have the boat itch again.

#319 2 years ago

Just for tooling around the lake and the occasional tuber.

98B1FCD4-250C-4F31-96C5-05118E08D8F7 (resized).jpeg98B1FCD4-250C-4F31-96C5-05118E08D8F7 (resized).jpegB2F132EF-9A62-4BCB-8780-724F8875E07F (resized).jpegB2F132EF-9A62-4BCB-8780-724F8875E07F (resized).jpeg
#320 2 years ago
Quoted from Katmando:

Looks nice, enjoy

#321 2 years ago

I bit off more than I can chew with the Mariah 30ft mid-cabin I bought last fall. Don't have the time to clean it up or to use it. It has a 502V8 that runs and goes into gear. The upholstery (and whole boat) needs a good cleaning. If anyone knows someone looking I'm going to sell it.

Mariah (resized).jpgMariah (resized).jpg
#322 2 years ago
Quoted from Katmando:

The red with black railing against the black tubes looks great!!
Whats on the back for HP Looks like a 250 or 300 merc.

#323 2 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Lake Butte des Morts was opening up on Friday, I have the boat itch again.

First boat to head out on the still half frozen over Wolf River upstream in Fremont last weekend.

55D23B19-BF6D-4B9D-A955-30BF0CC1E599 (resized).jpeg55D23B19-BF6D-4B9D-A955-30BF0CC1E599 (resized).jpeg
#324 2 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

The red with black railing against the black tubes looks great!!
Whats on the back for HP Looks like a 250 or 300 merc.

Thank you. Had to special order the red for it. It is a 250 verado. Had a friend tell me he wished he went with the bigger engine so figured i would go big when I bought mine.

#325 2 years ago
Quoted from Katmando:

Thank you. Had to special order the red for it. It is a 250 verado. Had a friend tell me he wished he went with the bigger engine so figured i would go big when I bought mine.

I always max it if possible. I have a 200 on mine which is maxed but wish I could have gone 250.

#326 2 years ago

250 was my max as well

Quoted from JonCBrand:

I always max it if possible. I have a 200 on mine which is maxed but wish I could have gone 250.

#327 2 years ago
Quoted from Katmando:

"I bought too much HP"
said nobody ever....

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

"I bought too much HP"
said nobody ever....

HP stock, yes.
Horsepower, no.

#329 2 years ago

Just ordered the 300hr service kit for my boat. This will be the first time dropping a DTS lower unit. I've done plenty of mechanical shift ones.

The paint on my skag is worn off so I'm thinking the impeller has seen some sand from the Wolf river.

Boat is also back from dealer with new starbord tube, Thanks State Farm.

Now what to do with the old tube?

20220208_124254 (resized).jpg20220208_124254 (resized).jpg
#330 2 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Now what to do with the old tube?
[quoted image]

Around my way, people pay great money for old pontoon boats and tubes for floating docks. You also have good scrap dollars there.

#331 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Around my way, people pay great money for old pontoon boats and tubes for floating docks. You also have good scrap dollars there.

I posted it on FB market 3 weeks ago not a single hit yet. We joked about making a flower planter out of it.

#332 2 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

I posted it on FB market 3 weeks ago not a single hit yet. We joked about making a flower planter out of it.

My local dump has a metal recycling area

3 weeks later
#333 2 years ago

Did the 300hr service this morning and launched it for the season. Bring on summer!

20220410_131327 (resized).jpg20220410_131327 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#334 1 year ago

I'm struggling with birds in my boat lift. The screens cut then down dramatically but I still get one or 2 a week that fly low enough and get trapped. Then of course they poop on the furniture. I've tried scare tape, and owl with moving head, and some cheap electronic border deterents.

Anyone have recommendations?

#335 1 year ago

I’m getting a 1976 9.9HP Evinrude outboard from a friends dad. It has been stored indoors and not used for about 20 years and worked good before it was put away. It looks to be in very good condition. I’m told it wouldn’t start when he pulled it out, it spins freely but wouldn’t fire. I’m going to go pick it up Tuesday. What would be the first steps for trying to get it to run? If this isn’t something that I can do myself through research and watching videos, what do you think a marine repair shop might charge to get it running assuming there is no major damage? My friends dad said it probably needs the carb cleaned, I watched some YouTube on that and it seems like something I can handle. I’ve read that older motors also usually need a new impeller, I’m completely new to outboards so I haven’t read up on that part yet but plan to in the next few days. Thanks for any suggestions.

#336 1 year ago

Yes, clean the carb. Rebuild the fuel pump, replace fuel lines and other hoses. Service the water pump and new spark plugs.

#337 1 year ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

Yes, clean the carb. Rebuild the fuel pump, replace fuel lines and other hoses. Service the water pump and new spark plugs.

That might be a little over my current skill level, do you think a marine repair place would do all that for $400 or under? If I could have a good running motor with no work for $400 I’d just do that as I don’t have a ton of time to learn and fix everything right now, if not I guess I will get to learning!

#338 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I’m getting a 1976 9.9HP Evinrude outboard from a friends dad. It has been stored indoors and not used for about 20 years and worked good before it was put away. It looks to be in very good condition. I’m told it wouldn’t start when he pulled it out, it spins freely but wouldn’t fire. I’m going to go pick it up Tuesday. What would be the first steps for trying to get it to run? If this isn’t something that I can do myself through research and watching videos, what do you think a marine repair shop might charge to get it running assuming there is no major damage? My friends dad said it probably needs the carb cleaned, I watched some YouTube on that and it seems like something I can handle. I’ve read that older motors also usually need a new impeller, I’m completely new to outboards so I haven’t read up on that part yet but plan to in the next few days. Thanks for any suggestions.

First two things I would do is check compression ballpark if its recoil start 80 to 90psi maybe 60 on an older unit. If it has compression then check for spark if it has spark clean the carb. take notes on mixture and idle screws. Count the turns "tighten" to a very light bottoming out. And as stated above new fuel lines gaskets and diaphragm kit for pump. Inspect/replace impeller. Assess from there.

If it's low on compression probably not worth the investment to rehab.

#339 1 year ago

I’ve got to look, have I ever had a boat issue fixed for under $400?

#340 1 year ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I’ve got to look, have I ever had a boat issue fixed for under $400?

How is the water level up by you? Its been a few weeks since I've been up there. I was at Gills on the river 3 weeks ago and river seemed like it was almost back to normal.

#341 1 year ago

Anyone here order a seadoo switch and recieve it? Still waiting for ours, late July is latest news

#342 1 year ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

How is the water level up by you? Its been a few weeks since I've been up there. I was at Gills on the river 3 weeks ago and river seemed like it was almost back to normal.

Water level is back to normal - even considering how much rain the area has gotten. White Bass are biting like crazy on the south side of town, moving up toward Partridge Lake now.

Since last fall, we moved - again. We’re right in the heart of downtown now, just south of the Webfooters.

#343 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:I’m getting a 1976 9.9HP Evinrude outboard from a friends dad. It has been stored indoors and not used for about 20 years and worked good before it was put away. It looks to be in very good condition. I’m told it wouldn’t start when he pulled it out, it spins freely but wouldn’t fire. I’m going to go pick it up Tuesday. What would be the first steps for trying to get it to run? If this isn’t something that I can do myself through research and watching videos, what do you think a marine repair shop might charge to get it running assuming there is no major damage? My friends dad said it probably needs the carb cleaned, I watched some YouTube on that and it seems like something I can handle. I’ve read that older motors also usually need a new impeller, I’m completely new to outboards so I haven’t read up on that part yet but plan to in the next few days. Thanks for any suggestions.

Picked up the motor, built a stand and got a garbage can full of water for it. Tried it out and nothing, got it narrowed down to bad spark plugs after checking fuel lines, coils, stop switch, etc. got new spark plugs and it started up on the first pull. Ran in neutral and spit out water good. Motor sounded pretty good, put it in gear and propeller was churning up water pretty good, then it reved up real high on its own and shut off. Started it and ran it in neutral a few times after that, and it would run good for a bit then die. Will do some more research and get back to it in a few days.

#344 1 year ago

Might be trash in the carburetor bowls making it lean out and rev before starving out. Sometimes the i.d. of fuel lines will crumble after long storage.

#345 1 year ago

The rich and lean settings I don’t really get, how do I know when to turn the dial more towards rich or more towards lean? I just had it in the middle yesterday.

#346 1 year ago

The leaning out I speak of is caused by small objects blocking the jets in the carburetor. I do not have books on small outboard. I would not think, a '76 9.9 would have adjustments on mixture.
The black rubber fuel lines degrade with time and shed small crumbles. The gray line between the tank and motor will degrade and shed fiber. What you are saying is going on really makes me think you have crap in your carbs.

#347 1 year ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

The leaning out I speak of is caused by small objects blocking the jets in the carburetor. I do not have books on small outboard. I would not think, a '76 9.9 would have adjustments on mixture.
The black rubber fuel lines degrade with time and shed small crumbles. The gray line between the tank and motor will degrade and shed fiber. What you are saying is going on really makes me think you have crap in your carbs.

I bought a carb rebuild kit today to address the carb issue. Will be diving into it this weekend.
It has a dial that says rich and lean and you can change it, I just left it in the middle as I don’t know how to look or listen for the engine to know if i should be changing that dial one way or the other.
One thing I learned though was I may have caused the dying out by not venting my gas can. I’ve never used anything that had a separate gas can hooked up to it and it is the original metal can so no separate vent that I could see like with my plastic cans I use to fill up a lawnmower or snowblower. Looks like with this metal kind the cap just partially unscrews and comes up to vent so the fuel can flow to the motor. I’m still going to do the carb rebuild before I run it again but I’m guessing using the gas can correctly will help.

#348 1 year ago

I would try the vent first, most likely the issue and an easy test.
If that does not solve it I would rebuild the carb.
A rich engine will be sluggish and bog down, not reving the way it should.
A lean engine will "scream", over rev, run out of gas and die.
Always start on the rich side and work your way down with small adjustments until the engine runs right, sound and feel.
Running rich is never bad for the engine, just poor performance. Running lean is bad.

#349 1 year ago

It ran in neutral just fine with the can vented. Putting it in gear caused it to stall out. However if I hit the primer bulb every so often it ran in gear fine too. Found out the hose where it connects to the motor is leaking as well, it’s the original fuel can and hose. Ordered a new fuel hose with fittings and primer bulb, as well as a new fuel pump. Hopefully those two things along with the carb rebuild will get me going. I’m at $90 so far in parts so not bad. I called a local marine place and they wanted $300 just for the carb rebuild. Hoping I can stay under $200 and have a nice running motor.

#350 1 year ago

Quick question, what’s this little hole here?
It seems to be leaking some dark oily stuff. I’m thinking it is the gearcase seal? And the stuff coming out of it is the gearcase oil? Hopefully not. In my manual on the other side but below the propeller is the oil drain fill plug. There are no screws or plugs opposite this little hole, I can see the hole in my manual but it doesn’t say what it is
2C511E4B-0D74-4863-B625-EC3245840CE5 (resized).jpeg2C511E4B-0D74-4863-B625-EC3245840CE5 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/boats-owners-thread/page/7?hl=bundy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.