(Topic ID: 55253)

Board soldering help needed (Knoxville, TN)

By VolunteerPin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have very limited experience with soldering having only done a few diodes since starting in this hobby a few months back. I have apparently blown a transistor on my board for my LOTR LE. I have received the transistors in the mail and would love to get my pin up and running again.

Anyone near Knoxville that would like to come over and help me out? I would love to learn a new skill in the process. I'd be happy to reimburse you either in beer or some cash if needed. I've watched some videos on YouTube but there is something about working on an expensive pin that makes me somewhat apprehensive for my first go-round.

Thanks,

Darin

#2 10 years ago

Wait for help. If you cant wait it is easy to do and if you are competent you can get this done. Take apart an old vcr and practice. Good Luck

-Chris Rock

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Wait for help. If you cant wait it is easy to do and if you are competent you can get this done. Take apart an old vcr and practice. Good Luck
-Chris Rock

or radio shack sells a practice kit.

#4 10 years ago

Yeah, I really don't want to risk $100s of dollars on my first go at board work. So, consider this a Sunday night bump to see if there is anyone around here who could help me.

Heck, even as I look at all the other crap connected to the board by cables, I feel nervous just removing the board from the backbox.

#5 10 years ago

If it makes you feel more confident, the first thing I ever soldered was a board. Just do your research, get a good soldering station and give something a go. Its not too scary

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Yeah, I really don't want to risk $100s of dollars on my first go at board work. So, consider this a Sunday night bump to see if there is anyone around here who could help me.
Heck, even as I look at all the other crap connected to the board by cables, I feel nervous just removing the board from the backbox.

I applaud your concerns. Quick story. Years ago I tried to alter/mod [cough] my son's PS2 that I bought him for Christmas. I bought the chip on the net for like $65. Bought the tools including a pro grade magnifying glass with lighting. I read for weeks on how to do it. Knew in advance that it was a 4-8 hour job depending on your skills. I stayed up all night drinking coffee trying to do this task....an all nighter...while my son was sleeping. Lol. When I was done at 6am I tried it and it smoked and sparked...I pulled the plug out of the wall as quick as I could and ended up eating the cost of the unit. I messed that one up pretty bad I bought another for him and learned a lesson Know your limitations...lol..I can laugh now but back then I was really sad because I wasted the money and time only to find out I rushed into something I should not have and for the wrong reasons I learned after that even static electricity from your body can fry these circuit boards!!! Why did I not know that before attempting what I did? Because I was careless

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

I applaud your concerns. Quick story. Years ago I tried to alter/mod [cough] my son's PS2 that I bought him for Christmas. I bought the chip on the net for like $65. Bought the tools including a pro grade magnifying glass with lighting. I read for weeks on how to do it. Knew in advance that it was a 4-8 hour job depending on your skills. I stayed up all night drinking coffee trying to do this task....an all nighter...while my son was sleeping. Lol. When I was done at 6am I tried it and it smoked and sparked...I pulled the plug out of the wall as quick as I could and ended up eating the cost of the unit. I messed that one up pretty bad I bought another for him and learned a lesson Know your limitations...lol..I can laugh now but back then I was really sad because I wasted the money and time only to find out I rushed into something I should not have and for the wrong reasons I learned after that even static electricity from your body can fry these circuit boards!!! Why did I not know that before attempting what I did? Because I was careless

I'm an eye surgeon so I have pretty good hands but I simply have no experience. One of the things which I think makes a good physician is to know what your limitations are and make appropriate and timely referrals. I think I'm using the same logic here.

The flip side of that coin is that I want to see somebody do this and be taught. Once I learn it, I don't think I'll have any reservations in the future.

#8 10 years ago

I just used the internet to learn the basic stuff I would need & the technique, check out a few youtube vids. Really not that complicated but good tools help & just having something to practice on a bit. Really the hardest part isn't soldering, it is desoldering. Removing that old transistor is the dangerous part as you don't want to lift up any board traces going to it or the solder pads, which definitely can happen if you use a crap desoldering braid & fail to get off all the solder then try to force it off.

I never had a ton of luck with cheap solder suckers either. Desoldering really didn't get "easy" until I ponied up a little extra cash for a proper soldering station with a vaccuum gun. I see no reason for you to use cheap generic tools like some of us started out with, since as an eye doc you probably make more $ as I type this than I'll make all day

#9 10 years ago

Better yet, get someone to skype/facetime with you to talk you through it.

#10 10 years ago

You might try changing the post title to "Need assistance in Knoxville" or something like that. I'm sure someone out there will be glad to lend a hand.

I also applaud you for recognizing the limitations of your knowledge/expertise.

Here are some pinball oriented soldering tutorials.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/167-soldering-tutorials

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You might try changing the post title to "Need assistance in Knoxville" or something like that. I'm sure someone out there will be glad to lend a hand.

Good idea. Added the bit with Knoxville in the ().

Also, I have older cheap DVD player I may open up and see what it looks like inside. Depending on what is in there, I may desolder some stuff. I have a nice soldering iron and station but have a cheap $17 desoldering hand-held solder sucker I bought at Radio Shack this weekend. Sounds like that may not be adequate, huh?

#12 10 years ago

How close is Knoxville to Nolensville?

Steve knows soldering...

http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/housecall.htm

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

How close is Knoxville to Nolensville?
Steve knows soldering...
http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/housecall.htm

About 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

#15 10 years ago

The equipment you have is fine for doing a transistor. If you ever get into IC's you would want a temperature controlled soldering station and the Hakko desolderer.

Cut the transistor leads and then heat up each joint and pull out the remaining part of the lead. Then use your solder sucker (and/or a tooth pick) to clean up the hole. Solder in the new transistor.

If you read through the articles I previously posted you can do this job easily. I'm not one of those people who urges beginners to solder boards, but a transistor is one of the easier tasks to complete.

On the other hand, you can trust johnwartjr's opinion so you might want to call Steve Kulpa.

#16 10 years ago

On Youtube, Pace Worldwide put all their old 1980 era solder training films up for viewing. They may be a bit old in regards to fashion, but most of the info is just as good today as it was back then.
One of their employees, Marc Siegel, did his own series of soldering instruction videos too. More modern, and more casual, also worth watching.

-Hans

http://www.youtube.com/user/paceworldwide

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMarcSiegel

#17 10 years ago

bump....still looking for local help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/board-soldering-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.