Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ravve
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So I wrote another post about a problem that now has turned out to be different, hence this new post.

The problem is on a T2 (wpc), the MPU board boots fine, but when I press on the upper/middle area of the board, it reboots or locks up (with the D19 and D21 solid lit which they should'nt).
If I press more, it wakes up again.
This sometimes happenes during play, without pressing on it (vibrations perhaps).

The same symptom can be seen with board removed from game and booted on bench.

The weirdest thing is that I can't locate where exactly to press - but seems that the upper area of the board (ribbons, cpu, rom) is most sensitive for the pressing.

So I am thinking that it must be some cold solder joint, I am resoldering suspected area but so far with no luck.

Is re-soldering the solution or could it be something else? All socketed chips are reseated and pressed firmly down.

Can I somehow locate which of the chips that is making this happen by using a logic probe (if it is a cold joint at a chip pin)? Like maybe follow the data/address lines from chip to chip beginning with the first chip to the last one, but maybe there isn't such an order for the chips?

Re-soldering everything seems really time consuming, and maybe even that won't help?

#2 3 years ago

Here is a video showing what is going on!

I reflowed solder on most places yesterday, but it didn't help!

I barely touch the chips as u can see.

ANYONE, any ideas??!

#3 3 years ago

also resets during the game ??

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from fly:

also resets during the game ??

Yes unfortunately really weird isn't it??

#5 3 years ago

Bad tension in the ASIC socket? I had all kind of odd stuff happening on my STTNG because of this. I very carefully removed the asic with the proper tool, then used a fine dental pick to add some tension gently back into the retension pins, put the asic back in, and it's been fine for the last 7 years.

#6 3 years ago

Could be either one, sounds like - cold solder joint losing connection during gameplay because of vibration, or loose chip socket - since you've been touching up the solder I'd lean more towards a socket, but before I started pulling anything, especially the ASIC, I'd put that thing under a magnifying glass and look really hard at all the solder joints.....

#7 3 years ago

Thanks! So to be clear, it should be either a cold solder joint or a bad socket?
Is there a way to know if a socket is bad (bad tension and so on) by looking at it? Or test it somehow? I don't know otherwise what to do, cant change ALL sockets...

I really want to narrow down the issue rather than go bananas on all sockets and solder joints.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Here is a video showing what is going on!
I reflowed solder on most places yesterday, but it didn't help!
I barely touch the chips as u can see.
ANYONE, any ideas??!

Thru hole separations, not uncommon when prior boardwork is done to put sockets in. May have to run jumpers to solve this problem. Or board is failing due to age, solder joints cracking.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for all answers!

Either way, it seems nearly impossible to repair without being able to narrow it down to where the problem is.

I have a logic probe if that helps.

Should I give up?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 21.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/board-reset-when-pressed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.