You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

warmfuzzy.jpg
03256-265.png
IMG_2336.jpg
IMG_2335.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hey everybody...

I sent my Pinbot CPU and power boards out for repair, as the game was failing to boot up - turn it on and it would light up, ding, run through the solenoids like normal, but then would restart and just keep doing that. Seemed like board repair was the answer.

So the boards are coming back to me tomorrow, but with the warning that:

"The transistor that controls the general illumination lighting on the CPU board (Q8 and associated components) was literally blown in half. This playfield area should be checked for problems prior to reinstalling the CPU as damage to the circuit may occur again."

I asked for clarification, and was told:

"You need the manual to check the wiring and components associated with Q8 (general illumination switching circuit) under the playfield for shorts prior to reinstalling the board as the board may be damaged as a result (which would void the repair warranty). The manual has all the info within."

I don't doubt this is true, but this is still pretty vague to my unaccustomed to electronic repair ears. Does this mean I need to check every GI bulb on the play field until I find a short? There was never any problem with the play field lighting before I sent the boards out - the problem I was having seems entirely unrelated - but clearly something was up.

Anybody out there ever have a similar problem? I want to play my PinBot again, but don't want to be stupid about this.

#2 9 years ago

Q8 drives solenoid 12 on PinBot.
Solenoid 12 is the playfield GI relay.
You'll need to find it under the PF and examine the relay and pin assembly for a short.
Makes sense. Good advice from your board guy.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Chris. I just tested (in my dimly-understanding, cro-magnon way) all 3 relays under the play field (without having invested the effort to identify which was which) and was getting continuity on all 3. Should I just relax and hook up the boards?

Or should I suck it up and write to Clive and just be frank with him about how totally ignorant I am about what he's trying to communicate?

#4 9 years ago

We can take care of you here. No need to contact the over worked Clive.
Post a pic of the relay with the connector removed. We can tell you which pins to test between. You need to measure resistance (ohms) of the relay's coil.
--

#5 9 years ago

Ah! OK, probably won't get to that this evening but will take a look at it in the morning a post photos ASAP. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

#6 9 years ago

Clive's been the best forever, the reason he is always overworked for weeks spells out the fact that he is the best. If your still looking for his help, simply, pick up the phone and talk to him. He will call you back. ~SpOoKy

#7 9 years ago

Quick cro-mag question: the connector = the yellow square cap? And it simply pulls off, yes?

#8 9 years ago

Re:Spooky - yeah, Clive has been pretty responsive via email. Between him and this forum I have no doubt I can get the help I need. Gawd, I can't imagine being in this hobby in the pre-internet days...I probably wouldn't have attempted it!

#9 9 years ago

No doubt that Clive could/would help...just taking the pressure off our bud.

The yellow cube is the relay.
It's soldered to the board at (Probably) 8 points.
2 of those points are the power and ground for the coil in the cube.
Those two points connect to two of the header pins.
We want to measure resistance between those two pins.
--

#10 9 years ago

So: I need to pull the relay and its board, then unsolder the relay FROM the board? (First timer here, sorry to be so skittish about the whole affair). The GI relay appears to be the one in the corner, as it has the yellow wiring that goes to various bulbs...

IMG_2335.jpgIMG_2335.jpg
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

So: I need to pull the relay and its board, then unsolder the relay FROM the board? (First timer here, sorry to be so skittish about the whole affair). The GI relay appears to be the one in the corner, as it has the yellow wiring that goes to various bulbs...

Correct, the yellow wired one is the GI relay. No desoldering necessary. Just unscrew that GI Relay board from the underside of the PF. From there, the opposite side of the board will have the solder pads where the relay is soldered into. You can now directly probe those pads with your meter to test resistance on that relay to make sure it isn't burnt up. If you need instructions on how to do that, let us know.

#12 9 years ago

...or can I simply test the pins in situ? (Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be? Usually the case...

IMG_2336.jpgIMG_2336.jpg
#13 9 years ago

...or can I simply test the pins in situ? (Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be? Usually the case...

Yup, probe those pins right on board. Nothing needs to be removed to check it. Test that diode out as well while you're at it.

#14 9 years ago

Instructions, please. The multimeter still seems like something out of Star Trek to me.

I can build you a fantastic run of cabinetry or furniture, and could probably turn out reproduction pinball cabinets like a champ, but when it comes to electronics, I'm starting rather from scratch.

#15 9 years ago

No problem.

First inspect all the wires (6 of them) are connected securely. Next, those two pads that are more widely spaced apart are the coil section of the relay (to the right of the 6 pads that look like dice). With your meter set to OHMs, place one test lead on either side (color doesn't matter) and tell us what you get.

There is a diode on there as well that could be faulty, but you'd have to clip or desolder one end to test it out. Don't do this yet.

#16 9 years ago

Wires seem pretty solidly connected (though I understand bad solder joints can be hard to catch visually.) But it looks like a pretty solid slug of solder on each and they feel pretty firm at the contacts. For the record, there are 7 wires - 2 red, 2 yellow, 3 purple.

OHMs read .648

#17 9 years ago

That is probably fine. At this point, you will want to check that diode. If the diode is shorted, it will definitely cause problems. I'm almost positive you will have to remove one end to test it properly, but try putting your meter in diode test mode and probing it like so:
03256-265.png03256-265.png

You should get .4-.6 in one direction and INF in the opposite direction. If you get 0 in both directions, there is definitely a problem, same goes for INF in both directions.

#18 9 years ago

Hey everybody...
I sent my Pinbot CPU and power boards out for repair, as the game was failing to boot up - turn it on and it would light up, ding, run through the solenoids like normal, but then would restart and just keep doing that. Seemed like board repair was the answer.
So the boards are coming back to me tomorrow, but with the warning that:
"The transistor that controls the general illumination lighting on the CPU board (Q8 and associated components) was literally blown in half. This playfield area should be checked for problems prior to reinstalling the CPU as damage to the circuit may occur again."
I asked for clarification, and was told:
"You need the manual to check the wiring and components associated with Q8 (general illumination switching circuit) under the playfield for shorts prior to reinstalling the board as the board may be damaged as a result (which would void the repair warranty). The manual has all the info within."
I don't doubt this is true, but this is still pretty vague to my unaccustomed to electronic repair ears. Does this mean I need to check every GI bulb on the play field until I find a short? There was never any problem with the play field lighting before I sent the boards out - the problem I was having seems entirely unrelated - but clearly something was up.
Anybody out there ever have a similar problem? I want to play my PinBot again, but don't want to be stupid about this.

He is completely correct. I use Clive for all my board work, and he tested one board without issue, but told me to check my under pf switch. Yes you do have to do your own leg work sometimes as he cannot see underneath your game. Also those boards are generic for a generation of games, so he will not know exactly what it drives.

Looks like you are getting the great help from the forum though! That's what we/forum are here for, asking and answering. Glad you are getting dirty checking for things. It feels empowering once you do it a few times, and you can help others later!

Sucks waiting...I know! But knowing you won't blow anything on a freshly fixed board is worth the day or two wait

#19 9 years ago

What's great about Clive is that he fixes the board, BUT also gives the warning too. Not everyone will do that. Some just return the "100% working board" without disclosure.

Props to Clive AND Chris Hibler.

#20 9 years ago

I'm reading .308 in diode test mode. Did not de-solder the diode, just reading it in place.
If "in both directions" means switching which probes on which end of the diode (is that what you mean?), I'm getting .308 both ways.

#21 9 years ago

I thought you had to desolder it to test it for sure...but someone should correct my "thought" on that.

#22 9 years ago

If you're getting the same reading both ways, then something isn't correct (either the measurement method or the diode). It's probably the measurement method and I concur that you will probably need to desolder one end of the diode to test it otherwise the coil resistance will interfere.

Jaz

EDIT: You should get .4-.7V with the red on the anode (non-line) side and open, no reading or high-V (meter dependent) with the red on the cathode.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

He is completely correct. I use Clive for all my board work, and he tested one board without issue, but told me to check my under pf switch. Yes you do have to do your own leg work sometimes as he cannot see underneath your game. Also those boards are generic for a generation of games, so he will not know exactly what it drives.
Looks like you are getting the great help from the forum though! That's what we/forum are here for, asking and answering. Glad you are getting dirty checking for things. It feels empowering once you do it a few times, and you can help others later!
Sucks waiting...I know! But knowing you won't blow anything on a freshly fixed board is worth the day or two wait

Absolutely! I bought a multimeter preemptively 2 years ago, knowing I would need it eventually. It's great to start to get some sense, however elementary, of how electronics testing is done. Empowering and saves boatloads of cash as well...
Waiting and working it out will be worth while. I want my sys11 games to run for another 30 years! Big respect for Clive as well. Between him and this forum we're pretty well set up for this obsessive hobby...

#24 9 years ago

OK, will desolder it later and re-test. Have to build the cabinets for a while first...in order to pay for all these replacement parts...

#25 9 years ago

OK, will desolder it later and re-test. Have to build the cabinets for a while first...in order to pay for all these replacement parts...

Test it once it is out to confirm your issues. Regardless, don't put that one back in. You'll need 1n400x diodes anyway if you own pinball machines. Might as well pick some up. Radioshack has them if you need them. Go with 1n4004 or 1n4007's. Only get 1n4001s if that is all they have.

#26 9 years ago

Cool, thanks for the tip!
Is it your opinion that once it's been replaced, it's then safe to re-install the boards? (Just for the record, there hadn't been any GI problems)
Kind of hoping it reads dead just so I can say I found an actual issue...

#27 9 years ago

Here is just one of my freaking crazy issue threads. I used a logic probe, had to test on some chips, boards and down to a diode on a coil

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lwjp-switch-and-coil-issue

It may help when you have to troubleshoot down a transistor leg/matrix.

#28 9 years ago

Cool, thanks for the tip!
Is it your opinion that once it's been replaced, it's then safe to re-install the boards?

Not necessarily. Remove the diode, then OHM test those two points on the relay again. It should read the same value as before. Now put your meter in diode mode and test the removed diode. The failure mode of the diode will tell you what happened.

If it is reading INF in both directions, it means it is open, and it literally burnt up/overheated. Your relay coil is likely good (from your ohm reading), but the internal switch is probably seized, the relay needs to be replaced. I've seen this before on a DE MPU.

If it is reading 0 in both directions, then the cathode end of the diode received more than +35v for an extended period of time, or received a peak exceeding +50v, essentially turning it into a jumper. You would have to trace the wire(s) that connects to the cathode (striped end) and find out how high voltage got on there. The only thing that runs beyond +50v peak are coils, so look for bare GI wire/bulb sockets coming into contact with the coil lugs.

If the diode tests good, then you've got something else going on here under the PF. Again, the bare GI wire or a bulb socket touching a coil would do it.

#29 9 years ago

While you are working on your GI, I would recommend checking your fuse values on all of your GI. I believe that they should be 5 amp slo-blo, but who knows what someone may have placed in there at some point--highest I ever saw was a 20 amp to replace a 5 amp, not even sure why that person bothered to replace it at all.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

While you are working on your GI, I would recommend checking your fuse values on all of your GI. I believe that they should be 5 amp slo-blo, but who knows what someone may have placed in there at some point--highest I ever saw was a 20 amp to replace a 5 amp, not even sure why that person bothered to replace it at all.

^^^^ Very good point here.

#31 9 years ago

I just fixed a Comet that had the traces cooked off the power supply because of a shorted diode across the GI relay. Testing that is a good place to start.... so.... what they said.

#32 9 years ago

Oh and don't try to use it without a good diode installed. The diode is there to protect transistor on your board from blowing out when the relay is turned off...

Jaz

P.S. GOOD POINT on the fuse check. It won't be the first time we've all seen over-fusing cause all kinds of problems...

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Oh and don't try to use it without a good diode installed. The diode is there to protect transistor on your board from blowing out when the relay is turned off...
Jaz
P.S. GOOD POINT on the fuse check. It won't be the first time we've all seen over-fusing cause all kinds of problems...

I often forget to mention stuff like that to people new to electronics. I assume that they have checked that already because I automatically pull all fuses out of games I pick up and do the works before I even turn them on.

#34 9 years ago

OK, checked the the diode, which looked fine, replaced. Checked the relay while the diode was out, and it too read fine. All the fuses in the power board are new thanks to Clive, other fuses under the play field appear to be correct. One bulb socket was pretty loose and close to a pop bumper solenoid switch, so that's one potential culprit, I suppose. The best I've got at this point.

When do I decide to turn the game on and risk ruining all of Clive's good work?

#35 9 years ago

OK, checked the the diode, which looked fine, replaced. Checked the relay while the diode was out, and it too read fine. All the fuses in the power board are new thanks to Clive, other fuses under the play field appear to be correct. One bulb socket was pretty loose and close to a pop bumper solenoid switch, so that's one potential culprit, I suppose. The best I've got at this point.
When do I decide to turn the game on and risk ruining all of Clive's good work?

Fuses for the GI are not on the power board, look for four fuses mounted against the wall of the backbox on the lower right as you look inside the backbox.

#36 9 years ago

this thread is what makes pinside great

#37 9 years ago

this one is a nail biter though. is he going to find something? is he going to risk it? fingers crossed.

#38 9 years ago

One bulb socket was pretty loose and close to a pop bumper solenoid switch, so that's one potential culprit, I suppose.

The switch lines don't carry the higher voltage. Just the lugs on the coils do, so nothing to worry about there.

So as CNKay said, there is a risk if you try to run the game as-is. Granted you reinstalled that diode on the relay board in the right direction, you CAN try firing the game up (with the PF propped up) and see if you can hear that relay clicking. If you hear any kind of buzzing or struggle on that relay, immediately turn the game off. If all is fine, put the game into diagnostics mode and run through the solenoid tests and make sure you don't hear anything like I mentioned on the relay. If I were you, I'd call Clive and just confirm this real quick.

#39 9 years ago

Let 'er rip. You've done all the preliminaries correctly.
As posted above, listen and observe for abnormal events when you power up. You'll probably be OK. I can't think I of anything else you could do and if it were me, I'd power on at this point.

--

#40 9 years ago

Hey, thanks guys!
So I did all these things, listened carefully to the relay in question and went so far as to disconnect the speakers so the buzz from them wouldn't distract and...not a peep. Everything seemed OK, so I did, in fact, let 'er rip. Works just fine.

Thanks SO MUCH to Chris and Thedefog for their patient, step by step assistance. I don't know if I learned too awful much about electronics (though I suppose I'll keep learning on an as-neede basis), but I did learn that Pinside is full of helpful people who want you to succeed, and that counts for a LOT! I really do appreciate it.

Now I can go back to obsessing over the usual pinball junk...like that one pop bumper that looks like it might need a rebuild kit...and the stupid vortex shot that only works about a third of the time...but that's a subject for another thread...

#41 9 years ago

AWesome! Glad you posted that it worked

#42 9 years ago

Thanks SO MUCH to Chris and Thedefog for their patient, step by step assistance.

I did it for Pinbot, not you.

#43 9 years ago

Umm...well, I thought we were in the clear. I'm starting to think this game is cursed.

The only things I have done to the game beside the various tests we discussed was to fix the solder on the switch on the left ramp entrance and adjust the leaves on the ramp exit switch (which had good solder but wasn't registering rollovers). I fired up the game a few minutes ago, it seemed OK, But Then: when I opened the visor, it just kept going up and down, up and down. I let the ball drain to see what would happen. Visor kept going. Didn't kick new ball into shooter lane. Manually kicked a new ball in, visor closed. Started new ball - now the spot targets aren't registering.

Went to take a look and see if there was something mechanically wrong, removed the glass and BLAM! the glass shattered everywhere.

This game is cursed.

All helpful input appreciated.

#44 9 years ago

removed the glass and BLAM! the glass shattered everywhere.

You finally got your glass cherry popped.

Congrats!

#45 9 years ago

Thanks, Vid! I'm honored to have attracted your attention. Help a brother out with now maddeningly dysfunctional game?

#46 9 years ago

Go into the diagnostics for the game and manually test all of the switches. Write down which ones aren't working and we'll help you get your switch matrix figured out.

The main ball trough switch is probably not working or not making contact, which is why it doesn't kick out the ball. That same switch is probably in the same line of the switch matrix as some of the spot targets.

Sorry about the glass. Did is scare the shit out of you with how loud it was?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You finally got your glass cherry popped.
Congrats!

I'm still a glass virgin, I'm dreading this.

#48 9 years ago

removed the glass and BLAM! the glass shattered everywhere.

Oh damn that is the second thread now with a shattered glass. So sorry to hear.

from your description it sounds like the Main Playfield glass is what shattered?
If so did you place it down on a cement (basement) floor? If so that is a no,no. There are all kinds of videos guys standing on glass, hitting with hammers forcefully and nothing but as soon as the edge is placed on cement and a tiny twist. Ka blewy!

#49 9 years ago

its nasty when it happens. One minute its all good then BANG and theres glass from here to tuesday. You'll find bits of it 20-30feet away

#50 9 years ago

Keep porcelain shards away from your pins!

Unfortunately it only takes touching the corner to a hard surface or a very sharp object just touching tempered glass to shatter it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/board-repair-warning-worries and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.