2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by M6onz5a
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ech (resized).jpg
    ech1 (resized).jpg
    edx2 (resized).png
    PUTIN5 (resized).png
    1aprud (resized).jpg
    spartacus (resized).jpg
    spock_evil_twin (resized).jpg
    float (resized).jpg
    angif-bark-up-the-wrong-tree (resized).png

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

The problem is how the OP went about telling his story....He should have stated the problems he had dealing with Ed and left it at that rather than accuse him of wrong doing and calling him a liar and a thief.

#52 2 years ago
    #53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Neuromancer87:

Ed? Ed Cheung!?! Let me tell you a little story...
    It was November 17, 1965, during the battle of the Ia Drang. Ed was my squad's machine gunner. At 0100 hours we were ordered to cross a dry riverbed on our flank and eliminate a nest of ARVN troops entrenched in a copse of trees on the other side. Suddenly, halfway across the riverbed, AK-47 fire erupted! Several men in our squad immediately went down, including me. I would have been killed except for the pinball board that Ed had given me. I had put it in my right breast pocket and it had stopped the 7.62mm round from piercing my heart. Ed, thankfully having all his tools, was able to repair the board right then and there. Then he stood up and took out 11 enemy troops singlehandedly with only his M60 and a soldering iron. So, son, the next time you say Ed Cheung didn't repair your pinball board correct, remember you're talking about an American hero!

may be the best post ever...

#54 2 years ago

" paul_8788 last edited this post 25 minutes ago: “not constructive” "

Thanks Paul -
    I did exactly the same thing in my head. You're right. Not constructive at all.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from bheasy:

Didn't know this was Ed's fan club. I was just trying to prevent someone else from getting gypped, but yall worship this guy. I feel lucky, now that he touched my broken board! I should send more money, way more-
    Yeah, on second thought, this is all my fault. I should have just sold this game on pinside as "working perfectly, will ship". I probly broke what Ed fixed by opening the box too fast. Thanks for the help everyone! King Ed for life, hail hail!

You really aren't reflecting (or don't appear to be) at all on HOW you went about addressing this. Putting up a thread post calling someone a thief is really not something to be taken lightly but maybe it's the anonymity of the internet that inclines you to feel so easy with such a claim. Granted, from your perspective this is how you feel but it also seems that you haven't 'listened' to what's been said in this post. There are other possible reasons the board boots into test mode. Have you addressed those?

Also, the request that you amend your title is a fair request.

#56 2 years ago

Only person who I have do work is Clive.

I do have friends who have used Ed. One sent 4 boards off to him. All were *fixed*. Two failed to work out of the box. He sent them back and paid for shipping. They did get fixed. The turn around was much faster than what I had with Clive. I just find it odd to have a 50 percent failure rate out of the box and having to pay for the mistake.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from bheasy:

Didn't know this was Ed's fan club. I was just trying to prevent someone else from getting gypped, but yall worship this guy. I feel lucky, now that he touched my broken board! I should send more money, way more-
    Yeah, on second thought, this is all my fault. I should have just sold this game on pinside as "working perfectly, will ship". I probly broke what Ed fixed by opening the box too fast. Thanks for the help everyone! King Ed for life, hail hail!

I understand your frustration, but disagree with your handling of the community responses and your additional comments.
    Fact is Ed has been in our community for well over a decade. Other posters in this thread, a few examples being cfh and John Wart Jr for example, have been in our community for a long time, and provided tons of help to others - and many others in the thread have also.

You can't expect to jump into the middle of community, tell us Ed is a bad guy, beware, will take your money, etc. - and not read the counter-opinions and experiences of others - then come to the conclusion that you are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Yeah - you had a bad experience, 1 out of 1 times. But can you see everyone elses point? Without saying we are mindless fanboys. Seems way off base and misplaced to the point of being offensive. We are trying to help you.

A gesture on your part, to soften the title, would go a long way.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

may be the best post ever...

Agreed

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The problem here is that you're a basically a brand new poster and Ed has been in the pinball community for a very long time and has maintained a very good reputation consistently.
    It's going to take more than a just a single reported incident with an unhappy outcome to convince people that there is a pattern indicating a serious problem.

Exactly!

#60 2 years ago

Ed's a legend in the pinball world and a heck of a nice guy too! I can't imagine he wouldn't bend over backwards to make things right, so based on the original post I'm betting it's more about how any feedback was delivered...

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Only person who I have do work is Clive.

Ditto on Clive. He's one of the best. How did he get drug into this?

#62 2 years ago

Well the problem the op is describing seems to be a memory circuit issue when the game is turned off it isnt retaining the settings by any chance did you check if the ics are all firmly pressed in or the batteries youre using are any good?.

I have dealt with ed for some time hes a great guy everything ive dealt with hes been great and a very helpful guy I agree ok maybe their was a problem with a repair but sounds like he said send it back and knowing ed if he overlooked or didnt fix something correct he would have made it right in the end but slandering his name out of anger is just petty.

#63 2 years ago

All I can figure is there must be two Ed Cheung's

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

I was a good friend of Ed's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully, you’ll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and Ed were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Ed would be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I’m talking to you, Butch. I got something for you. This System 9 board I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make System 9 boards. Up till then people just carried punch cards. It was bought by private Doughboy Ernie Cheung on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather’s System 9 board and he wore it every day he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the System 9 board off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until your granddad Eddie Cheung was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this System 9 board to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Eddie’s luck wasn’t as good as his old man’s. Eddie was a Marine and he was killed, along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he’d never seen in the flesh, his gold System 9 board. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his dad’s gold System 9 board. This board. This System 9 board was on your daddy’s wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it’d be confiscated, taken away. The way your dad looked at it, that System 9 was your birthright. He’d be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this System 9 board up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the board. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the System 9 board to you.

God I love Pulp Fiction! Well done.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fliptastic:

i think NASA would like that.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fliptastic:

It would have to be a parallel universe.

spock_evil_twin (resized).jpg

#67 2 years ago

Okay...this is an interesting popcorn thread.

Question I have is, how much was the repair?
    He sent a test video, but what was the documented repair or was it test only?

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Okay...this is an interesting popcorn thread.
    Question I have is, how much was the repair?
    He sent a test video, but what was the documented repair or was it test only?

There's an ongoing thread on facebook now--it seems the general consensus is there may problem with the test switch or dedicated switch wiring.

Pulling the connector for the dedicated switches, then turning on the game may be a good test for that theory.

It looks like the connectors could have been swapped around, or no voltage to the RAM for various reasons.

#69 2 years ago

I personally know Ed. He's a phenomenal person.

I met him one day as my family and I were heading up the Cajon pass here in California. In front of us, there were multiple paramedics and firetrucks and what appeared to be the scene of an accident. As we approached and could get a better view of the scene, there was a car that had been rear ended. Thankfully, it seemed everyone was ok.

As we slowly crept past everyone, I saw a man kneeling down next to a small German Sheppard puppy that was injured in the wreck. It was Ed. He was performing mouth to mouth CPR on the poor dog, and then did some chest compressions on his tiny chest. Within seconds the dog sprung to its feet, and the family came over and hugged Ed and thanked him.

Ed is an awesome man.

#70 2 years ago

One day I got stung by a jellyfish and Ed peed all over me.

I just wish he peed on the sting area... but that doesn't take away from his board repair skills.

#71 2 years ago

One time Butch P. pulled my pants down while playing at PAGG but I'd still let him repair my boards too.

#72 2 years ago

I wasn't going to mention this, but I thought I'd clear the air.

A young couple visited the fertility doctor to discuss options about conceiving a child. After trying for years and spending thousands of dollars, they had given up hope.

There was only one thing left to do. The fertility doctor used a rare, elusive specimen that glowed in the dark. It worked, and the couple gave birth to a healthy baby.

This happened 40 years ago. Ed Cheung is my father.

#73 2 years ago

I'm really pleased to see that Americans DO have a sense of humor it seems AND that humor has been able to turn this thread around - well done to all posters.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I'm really pleased to see that Americans DO have a sense of humor it seems AND that humor has been able to turn this thread around - well done to all posters.

i have found the vast majority of them are entirely awesome folks (especially <hushed tones> ed cheung<sshhh>..

I guess they just have a few dribbling psychopaths the same as we do.. bad egg or two in every basket eh

#75 2 years ago

I AM EDWARD CHEUNG

spartacus (resized).jpg

#77 2 years ago

Ed's Fan Club will be meeting during Expo on Saturday between 2 & 3 in River ballroom A.

An open microphone will be provided along with a projector for everyone to show photos of repaired boards, invoices, emails stating that follow-up repairs require shipping to be prepaid etc.

A seminar wristband is not required to attend.

#79 2 years ago

Sorry, the OPs post sounds like character assassination aka a hatchet job.

I know Ed. I sold Ed my Bride of Pinbot way back when which he went on to completely restore. He's a really intelligent, kind, generous person. He's contributed TONS of his time and knowledge to the pinball community. TONS. What has the OP contributed other than hearsay?

There's a way to solve a problem and a way to not solve a problem. This thread is an example of the latter. If Ed knew his name and reputation were being shit on he'd be mortified. He's a scientist for fuck's sake. Resolve your issue like a man.

#80 2 years ago

What you are about to read is classified information, but given the direction of this thread I feel compelled to speak about it. In September 2008 my wife was aboard a Russian space shuttle (PUTIN 5) that was to allow her the experience of knowing what it was like to be in space and all the wonders that go along with it. We had saved for years and when the Russian government had a Black Friday deal of $28.6M USD, we jumped at the opportunity!

Now after the successful launch of the shuttle, it began to orbit the Earth and all was good. She spent a few days with the crew eating beef stroganoff, kalduny, and such. But the crew noticed a problem with an omni-directional capacitor cage on the exterior of the shuttle. They had no spare part, as it was not thought to fail and options looked bleak. At this time, I knew Ed worked for NASA from discussions with him on RGP, so I reached out. Now this was well-before "regular" households had 3D printers, but Ed did and printed the piece the crew needed. He packaged it in ethosteric foam laced with titanium and launched it from a rocket in his backyard to the shuttle. By the time it reached them, it had slowed enough they were able to use a robotic arm to grab it, unpack the piece, and get it installed. After this, their return to Earth was flawless and my wife is here now as living proof of Ed's ability and love for others. The picture below is of the shuttle after her return. I know I've already said too much, but felt it need to be said...

Brad

PUTIN5 (resized).png

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

One day I got stung by a jellyfish and Ed peed all over me.
    I just wish he peed on the sting area... but that doesn't take away from his board repair skills.

That's some funny shit right there....

#82 2 years ago

brad if you had got the word "lego" into that somewhere you would have won the internet... so so close

#83 2 years ago

Ed Cheung does not read service manuals.

He stares at them until the give up their information.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fliptastic:

edx2 (resized).png

#85 2 years ago

Ed is a really great man. Most people don't know this but Ed once saved my life.

I once walked out of the Flamingo in Vegas one night and these three mob types grabbed me and started beating me senseless.

And this man, this great man, stepped out and said "that's enough".

LTG : )

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

brad if you had got the word "lego" into that somewhere you would have won the internet... so so close

Thanks, I know I work too hard on these things, but that is simply the story of my life...

Brad

#87 2 years ago

OK. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about this but since everyone seems to be sharing their special experiences with "Big Ed" as we like to call him here in China I guess I can as well.

Dr. Edward Cheung has been helping us with many technical problems here in the Homepin factory. That's easy to understand because "Big Ed" does many shopping trips for NASA, and also his pinball parts, in the electronics markets of Shenzhen. The Homepin factory is just down the road from the markets so a visit is always high on the list of must go places for Big Ed and he is always willing to lend us a hand.

It's incredible that, even though Ed isn't Chinese, he can converse with each staff member not only in perfect Mandarin BUT also in their own specific local dialects. It's just amazing to see how he imparts his extensive knowledge to each staff member and then sits down to a bowl of rice for lunch with them all.

On a particular day a few months back, Big Ed had just finished another of his shopping trips and was in the Homepin factory again helping us to convert used Coke cans into high tensile steel sheets for use as ramp flap material. This isn't especially amazing but I still think it's pretty good because the Coke cans are aluminium! This type of thing is always a doddle for him.

Anyway, this day, Big Ed received an urgent call to return to NASA. His regular flight wasn't scheduled to leave for a few hours so Big Ed hastily formulated a plan and gathered all the staff around for a meeting.

He presented them with the sketch of a solar powered gyro-copter and set them all a task to build it using only materials we had to hand because it had to ready for him to depart before last light. I have included the sketch he made below. This wasn't really so difficult for Big Ed but the problem he had was "where to put all of the shopping from the electronics market?"

Not a problem at all, Dr. Big Ed simply added a trailer to put all his stuff in and that also made a convenient place to mount the solar panels.

Anyway, the staff whipped the machine together for him, we loaded all the gear up and off he went. I was lucky to be fast enough to snap a picture of him leaving (also below).

It's always great when Big Ed visits us. We all look forward to the stories he tells us around the campfire we light at nights when he stays.

ech1 (resized).jpg

ech (resized).jpg

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

We not only have a sense of humor, many of us are cheering for you and wishing Homepin success.
    - Ed Cheung told us to!

#89 2 years ago

I heard that chuck norris uses ed cheung for board repair jobs

#90 2 years ago

Chuck Norris once Ruled the Universe on AFM on his first ball. Using nothing but round house kicks to the flipper buttons.

#91 2 years ago

I want to have Ed's baby.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

I heard that chuck norris uses ed cheung for board repair jobs

and Ed Cheung uses Chuck Norris for nasty customers?

#93 2 years ago

Ed Cheung wears a live rattlesnake as a condom.

#94 2 years ago

Ed Cheung is kind of a big deal.

#95 2 years ago

We once had a bachelor party for Cheung. He ate the entire cake before we could tell him there was a stripper in it

2 months later
    #98 2 years ago

Ed is a great guy! I live about 15 minutes from him and he does excellent work!! Like the others said you must some other issues with your machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Boards
    PinSound Plus Out of stock
    PinSound
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Deadpool Premium Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 244.99
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside