3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by M6onz5a
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ech (resized).jpg
    ech1 (resized).jpg
    edx2 (resized).png
    PUTIN5 (resized).png
    1aprud (resized).jpg
    spartacus (resized).jpg
    spock_evil_twin (resized).jpg
    float (resized).jpg
    angif-bark-up-the-wrong-tree (resized).png

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

System 9 board

#2 3 years ago

No good can come from this......

#3 3 years ago

Here we go....

#4 3 years ago

Ed is a long standing pinball enthusiast and has provided countless readings on repairs. I've corresponded with him myself over the years and he is a stand up guy.

Kinda like saying Lloyd is selfish. Really??

Send the board back and he will make it right, I'm sure.

#5 3 years ago

I second Ed as a stand up guy
    My dealings have been great and appreciative.
    Just because a resistor looks burnt doesn't mean it defective.
    I'm sure the 2 of you can get this rectified.

#6 3 years ago

Ed has done good by me. Maybe you have a power supply issue with your game or an issue with the memory protect switch on the coindoor. Resistors in the lamp matrix area are often discolored from heat and usually are not part of a board repair unless they are open.

#7 3 years ago

This is not gonna end well for the op! Second post ever and this!

#8 3 years ago

First the resistors were "acid damaged" (not possible but maybe the OP means Alkaline damaged?) then they are "burnt"???

Seems to me the OP doesn't know a great deal about pinball repairs which is fair enough and maybe that's why he sent the board away to be fixed.

It does tell me that the OP is trigger happy and very possibly has problems elsewhere in his machine that he is unable to resolve so it's easier to blame a very competent and well respected member of the pinball community.

#9 3 years ago

Lot of questions here, but none of them revolve around Ed being anything other than a stand up guy.

Before you post comments like this you might want to consider there is something else wrong with your game causing the board to boot into test mode (he did send you a video showing it working after all). As far as the resistors I doubt if you should be the judge of whether they need to be replaced or not, I'd let the rocket scientist decide that.

#10 3 years ago

ED?? Ed Cheung? I think Ed has a strong rep as more than a stand-up guy and has supported the pinball community for probably a few more years than you apparently might be thinking.

I'm sorry but I don't think he's trying to take your board repair money.
    http://www.edcheung.com/job/job.htm

Take a deep breath, give him phone call to work this out.

#11 3 years ago

If your board always boots into test mode, you could have a problem with your cabinet.

Why are you obsessed with the resistors? They are typically burnt on every single board in existence.

Ed is a stand up guy and everyone here will say the same. He is very experienced and stands by his work. If you're trying to warn others to not deal with him, you failed.

#12 3 years ago

bheasy, can you post a picture of the board in the game? Good chance you may have the diagnostic/test buttons connector swapped with another connector.

#13 3 years ago

Ed went out of his way and sent me a NASA patch that I could give to my Dad. This was about 12 years ago. Out of the goodness of his heart. Nobody can say a bad word about him and he is a pillar of this community. Work with him and you will make a friend for life.

#14 3 years ago

angif-bark-up-the-wrong-tree (resized).png

#15 3 years ago

Ed rocks. I'm sure something else is going on. You sure your PS board isn't causing the problems? Or bad connectors. If Ed fixed it, i'm sure it's fixed. He's one of the smartest guys on the planet.

#16 3 years ago

Ed Cheung is a stand up, well known trusted resource in the pinball business/hobby.

I think you're overreacting here. Let Ed have another look at it and test it out. Pretty good chance there's another problem with your game.

I'm sure Ed has made a mistake or two - he is human - but he would bend over backwards to make it right if he did.

If it's booting into diagnostic mode, you've likely got a problem with coin door switches or the battery pack.

Maybe start another thread, being a little nicer and asking for help - Pinside will help you work through it!

#17 3 years ago

Ed? Ed Cheung!?! Let me tell you a little story...

It was November 17, 1965, during the battle of the Ia Drang. Ed was my squad's machine gunner. At 0100 hours we were ordered to cross a dry riverbed on our flank and eliminate a nest of ARVN troops entrenched in a copse of trees on the other side. Suddenly, halfway across the riverbed, AK-47 fire erupted! Several men in our squad immediately went down, including me. I would have been killed except for the pinball board that Ed had given me. I had put it in my right breast pocket and it had stopped the 7.62mm round from piercing my heart. Ed, thankfully having all his tools, was able to repair the board right then and there. Then he stood up and took out 11 enemy troops singlehandedly with only his M60 and a soldering iron. So, son, the next time you say Ed Cheung didn't repair your pinball board correct, remember you're talking about an American hero!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neuromancer87:

It was November 17, 1965, during the battle of the Ia Drang. Ed was my squad's machine gunner. At 0100 hours we were ordered to cross a dry riverbed on our flank and eliminate a nest of ARVN troops entrenched in a copse of trees on the other side. Suddenly, halfway across the riverbed, AK-47 fire erupted! Several men in our squad immediately went down, including me. I would have been killed except for the pinball board that Ed had given me. I had put it in my right breast pocket and it had stopped the 7.62mm round from piercing my heart. Ed, thankfully having all his tools, was able to repair the board right then and there. Then he stood up and took out 11 enemy troops singlehandedly with only his M60 and a soldering iron. So, son, the next time you say Ed Cheung didn't repair your pinball board correct, remember you're talking about an American hero!

seems legit.

#19 3 years ago

Damn this thread makes me want to break something just so I can sent it to be fixed. Ed must be the Chuck Norris of board repair!!

#20 3 years ago

He basically invented the documented restoration thread with his Space Shuttle resto in 2004. Anyone on rgp back then remembers...

#21 3 years ago

ROFL - Being a Soldier who had to write many an award, that sir, was priceless.

#22 3 years ago

Well, that makes Ed a lot older than I think he is. Looking good for his age.

#23 3 years ago

I'm throwing my chips on his batteries being dead LOL

#24 3 years ago

If you have corrosion issues on an MPU board of any style, there are only a couple guys i trust to properly fix this. Most people just don't deal with corrosion correctly, and the issues comes back (sometimes rather quickly.) For any sort of MPU board that has corrosion i suggest Jerry Clause and John Wart. From what i've seen (and i see a lot), most other repair people just don't have a good methodology to deal with battery corrosion. Obviously I haven't seen everyone's work, but from my experience, these two people are the only ones i would trust with MPU corrosion issues. I say this because I often have to do clean up corrosion work on boards sent to other repair shops by my customers. I just re-did boards that went to Two Bit Score and Ed where corrosion was not properly addressed. That said i can't tell you how long ago the boards were sent to these shops. But what i can say is the corrosion was not contained, and the boards stopped working because of it.

Battery corrosion is a difficult thing to deal with. And if you don't have specialized tools and time, it will come back to haunt a board. There are a lot of very good repair people out there that can fix non-corroded boards. Nearly all those guys are awesome at repair. But there's only a few shops that address corrosion completely and correctly so it won't come back to haunt a board. This has been my experience. Your mileage may vary.

#25 3 years ago

That said there are many repair shops that deal with corrosion this way... if a board has any corrosion, they won't repair the board! that's actually a pretty good method, and a lot of times i wish more shops would do this. For example Clive won't repair a corroded board. The reason for this is simple, corrosion really complicates the repair process. And if you don't have a good way to dealing with it, you can spend a lot of (non chargeable) time on the repair. And you can get "married" to a board (have it sent back multiple times, making the customer mad, and frustrating yourself with having to fix the same board over and over.)

#26 3 years ago

If he can repair the nasa space shuttle , I am sure a system 11 board he can repair in his sleep

Seriously

#27 3 years ago

What is the correct method for dealing with corrosion?

#28 3 years ago

Does the Space Shuttle use AA alkaline batteries?

I mean the space ship built by Rockwell International, not the pinball machine built by Williams Electronics....

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

What is the correct method for dealing with corrosion?

All correct methods include removing physical signs of corrosion, then neutralizing it, performing the repairs that caused the board not to work, replacing components near the corrosion that could be infected and maybe neutralize again. Finally, a high quality CONformal coating is mandatory. I prefer one of the HumiSeal products. Their UV curable products are best, but you can't use those with eproms installed. Better to use the air-curing products.

#30 3 years ago

I will jump in as well and say I've used Ed before. He may not always be super fast, but it's a hobby for him. The board I sent him was the result of me learning to not work on a machine with metal tools while it was powered on (shorted the GI into the switch matrix) and I blew out the CPU. It was a while ago, back in my early days. He did very well on the repair, no complaints at all.

In terms of this post, as always, the OP may have jumped the gun here, but we will all nicely wait for Ed to jump in and hopefully clear it all up.

#31 3 years ago

May all your jackpots be super! =)

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from bheasy:

The board works fine when you take it out of test mode manually. That's why it works with a test rig. Tried multiple times to compromise, even offered the "working fine" board to him for the cost of the repair (which he could easily sell for $100 or more profit, after original expense). Nah-
    Glad you guys all lucked out with yours- wish I'd been as lucky.
    If I'd have known Jerry did system 9 boards I would have picked him right away! He's helped me with things in the past 2 times now for FREE! Yes, Jerry is the man!
    So I was just trying to be a good pinball person and warn you guys. FWIW
    Peace yall, may all your jackpots be super =)

The problem is you were "issuing a warning" for someone that NOT A SINGLE PERSON here has had a problem with - only you.

Think about that carefully.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from bheasy:

The board works fine when you take it out of test mode manually. That's why it works with a test rig. Tried multiple times to compromise, even offered the "working fine" board to him for the cost of the repair (which he could easily sell for $100 or more profit, after original expense). Nah-
    Glad you guys all lucked out with yours- wish I'd been as lucky.
    If I'd have known Jerry did system 9 boards I would have picked him right away! He's helped me with things in the past 2 times now for FREE! Yes, Jerry is the man!
    So I was just trying to be a good pinball person and warn you guys. FWIW
    Peace yall, may all your jackpots be super =)

I guess you could've asked Jerry if he repaired System 9 boards.

#34 3 years ago

I vote it for post of the month.

#35 3 years ago

Ed Cheung for President!!!!

#36 3 years ago

i'd vote for him. He's way smarter than the 2 main idiots running right now.

#37 3 years ago

Ed is a legend, even more so on rgp.

float (resized).jpg

I do not need to be "warned" about a single instance of a repair done by an upstanding member of the pinball community not going entirely smoothly, especially when the "victim" is the one being unreasonable. To be honest, your convoluted offers of compromise are what sounds scammy to me.

It would be cool if you would please modify the thread title so as not to impugn the good name of this fine fellow.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Does the Space Shuttle use AA alkaline batteries?
    I mean the space ship built by Rockwell International, not the pinball machine built by Williams Electronics....

Yes, that's why they quit making them

#39 3 years ago

i would definitely not say "nobody" has had problems with Ed's repairs. i know people that have had problems with his repairs, and to that degree, *i* had an issue with them too (as I had to re-fix a board that Ed fixed.) That said, *everyone*, regardless of who you are, has had problems. Everyone has good and bad days. That's just how it is. Also some people have personalities that conflict, for whatever reason. This is why there's different people doing stuff. You can pick and choose whom works best for you. The original poster just relayed his experiences. Don't jump all over him for doing that. I'm sure there's people that have had problems with my repairs too. It's just how life is. It's really tough to be perfect.

#40 3 years ago

It isn't pinball if something isn't broke.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i would definitely not say "nobody" has had problems with Ed's repairs. i know people that have had problems with his repairs, and to that degree, *i* had an issue with them too (as I had to re-fix a board that Ed fixed.) That said, *everyone*, regardless of who you are, has had problems. Everyone has good and bad days. That's just how it is. Also some people have personalities that conflict, for whatever reason. This is why there's different people doing stuff. You can pick and choose whom works best for you. The original poster just relayed his experiences. Don't jump all over him for doing that. I'm sure there's people that have had problems with my repairs too. It's just how life is. It's really tough to be perfect.

He wasn't just relaying his own experience, he was calling Ed a crook who stole his money. That was uncool imo and deserving of having people jump all over him:

Quoted from bheasy:

THIS GUY WILL NOT FIX YOUR BOARD! HE WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND OFFER NOTHING! BEWARE!!!

#42 3 years ago

I was a good friend of Ed's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully, you’ll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and Ed were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Ed would be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I’m talking to you, Butch. I got something for you. This System 9 board I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make System 9 boards. Up till then people just carried punch cards. It was bought by private Doughboy Ernie Cheung on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather’s System 9 board and he wore it every day he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the System 9 board off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until your granddad Eddie Cheung was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this System 9 board to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Eddie’s luck wasn’t as good as his old man’s. Eddie was a Marine and he was killed, along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he’d never seen in the flesh, his gold System 9 board. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his dad’s gold System 9 board. This board. This System 9 board was on your daddy’s wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it’d be confiscated, taken away. The way your dad looked at it, that System 9 was your birthright. He’d be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this System 9 board up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the board. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the System 9 board to you.

#44 3 years ago

I'll have to update the system 9 wiki after hearing some of these stories

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from bheasy:

THIS GUY WILL NOT FIX YOUR BOARD! HE WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND OFFER NOTHING! BEWARE!!!

Wrong

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

I was a good friend of Ed's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully, you’ll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and Ed were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Ed would be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I’m talking to you, Butch. I got something for you. This System 9 board I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make System 9 boards. Up till then people just carried punch cards. It was bought by private Doughboy Ernie Cheung on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather’s System 9 board and he wore it every day he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the System 9 board off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until your granddad Eddie Cheung was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this System 9 board to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Eddie’s luck wasn’t as good as his old man’s. Eddie was a Marine and he was killed, along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he’d never seen in the flesh, his gold System 9 board. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his dad’s gold System 9 board. This board. This System 9 board was on your daddy’s wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it’d be confiscated, taken away. The way your dad looked at it, that System 9 was your birthright. He’d be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this System 9 board up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the board. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the System 9 board to you.

#47 3 years ago

@osudrummer

#48 3 years ago

Everyone should be extra careful. Those damn NASA engineers will rob you blind.

#49 3 years ago

May all your jackpots be super! =)

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from bheasy:

Didn't know this was Ed's fan club. I was just trying to prevent someone else from getting gypped, but yall worship this guy. I feel lucky, now that he touched my broken board! I should send more money, way more-

Yeah, on second thought, this is all my fault. I should have just sold this game on pinside as "working perfectly, will ship". I probly broke what Ed fixed by opening the box too fast. Thanks for the help everyone! King Ed for life, hail hail!

The problem here is that you're a basically a brand new poster and Ed has been in the pinball community for a very long time and has maintained a very good reputation consistently.

It's going to take more than a just a single reported incident with an unhappy outcome to convince people that there is a pattern indicating a serious problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 209.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 999.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 200.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside