Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Curious what everyone's take is on buying a new Ni-Wumpf or Rottendog system 80 driver board vs getting the original repaired. It will going in my Haunted House, which I plan (maybe plan should be in quotation marks) to keep for a while. Even if it is a quick fix this time, just curious everyone's experiences long term with both of these scenarios. If i spend 50 on repair this time, if it fails again, then I should have just bought the new replacement board. Thanks for your input.
    -Scott

#2 12 years ago

Replacement board.

#3 12 years ago

Yeah, don't even mess around with the board repair then? Any preference Rottendog vs Ni-Wumpf?

#4 12 years ago

If you can fix it yourself then repair if you have to send it out then replace.

#5 12 years ago

Yes, like TomT said, if YOU can fix it, i.e. it's something small, go for it. Otherwise i'd just order a new board.

You can always sell off the old board on ebay or the like.

#6 12 years ago

I'm sure I can fix it...with some detective work..and some luck finding the transistors. I just don't know how long till something else breaks, that maybe I can't fix, or just in general....I guess my question should have been are the replacement driver boards that much more reliable? I don't want to be trouble shooting every other week.

#7 12 years ago

I had this dilemma when I decided to finish my Xenon game. I ended up having my boards repaired by "Pistol" Pete from AVP out of Towson MD. He basically told me that there are "many" people who claim to know how to repair boards but are really just "hacks". Pete got my solenoid driver, and MPU boards, cleaned up (bad circuits, components and such) *AND* chased my Xenon voice card issue to resolution (which is good, because many of the parts aren't available anymore...). If you can find the right person with integrity, and the desire to "do it right", you can go repair. He also mentioned that getting a 3rd party board sounds good on paper, but sometimes it doesn't always play nice out of the box and needs to be tweaked.

#8 12 years ago

Contact pascal Janin for one of his All in one system 80 boards. So many great features. You will love it. Money very well spent

#9 12 years ago

Good luck finding a Ni-Wumpf or Rottendog - I've just been thru this search myself and ended up getting the last Ni-Wumpf K's Arcade had in stock. If you find one available of either, grab it while you can.

Rottendog is out of stock of their driver boards and doesn't expect more. Ni-Wumph is out of stock while they look for another manufacturer (not a quick process).

Steve at PBR has original refurb boards listed as available.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Contact pascal Janin for one of his All in one system 80 boards. So many great features. You will love it. Money very well spent

How do I contact?

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from dieseldogpi:

Whridlsoncestood said:Contact pascal Janin for one of his All in one system 80 boards. So many great features. You will love it. Money very well spent
    How do I contact?

http://www.flippp.com/eboards.html

#12 12 years ago

Thanks. I sent him an email. Any one have experience with this all in one board? Problems associated with it?

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from dieseldogpi:

Any one have experience with this all in one board? Problems associated with it?

I haven't tried his System 80 board, but I've had one of his PI-1 X4 boards in my Close Encounters since 2006 and I've never had a single problem with it.

#14 12 years ago

Yeah no problems at all. Great guy to deal with. Shipping took like 5 days from France to the states

#15 12 years ago

They have system80 ni-wumph boards at Lakeside pinball parts.com. I was just on the site and they do not say they are out of stock.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/board-repair-vs-ni-wumpfrottendog-gottlieb-system-80-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.