I did some more board work tonight, replacing the headers on a 16 opto board. As most know, that board has 5 headers; 4 of them are .100”, and the other is .156”.
This time I used my Hakko 808 for the work. I used a A1003 tip for the .100” headers, and a A1396 tip for the .156” header.
Two of the .100” headers pulled out of the board easily. On the other two, I had to add a little solder to a few pins and the re-Hakko them. All in all it worked great. Zero board damage.
The .156” header wasn’t as easy. All pins looked clean, but the header wouldn’t come out. It took a bit of rocking and then it came free. Of course, in my past the rocking has led to damaged through holes. Fortunately tonight it did not damage the board. But based on this, I think my original method is less risky, albeit more time consuming.
I’m not knocking the Hakko. I can’t believe I’ve been using a solderpullt all these years. I did a capacitor tonight too and it just fell off the board, so the Hakko has its place. It seems to do great other than the pesky .156” headers.