Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hey folks,
    Any BMW X1 owners out there? Do you like the car and can it fit a new pin?

Also, if you know: How much value does it lose after a year or two.

Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

I don't own one, but I've driven it. I thought it was nice but wasn't convinced it was worth the difference in cost from a similar sized non luxury vehicle like a VW.

I think the cargo space is approx. 36 inches between the wheel wells, 31 inches high, and 62 inches long with the back seats folded down.

#3 4 years ago

Make sure you get a daily driver for when the BMW is in the shop.

#4 4 years ago

My wife daily drives a '11 328i Sport Wagon, with the I6 engine. Has around 90K miles on it. It hasn't ever been in the shop, and has had normal routine care. The problems that exist on this car still are still the same as when I had a '94 530i V8 (125K miles before I sold it a few years ago). Leaking oil at the oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, idler pulley going bad, creaking suspension. Haven't had any issues with the car spending an inordinate amount of time in the shop. There's a reason why people either lease BMWs or don't own them outside of warranty. It drives unbelievably well, and hasn't had a major malfunction *knock on wood,* but I will probably never own another BMW again.

Conversely, I drive an '11 Infiniti M37X. About 95k miles, and the only things I've done to it are routine fluids, and normal wear/tear items. I have absolute confidence that my car won't be saddled up on a shop.

BMWs are nice looking cars, and are excellent drivers when new, but as they age, you either need to be a car person yourself, or knows someone that can do it for you as a favor or cheap, because they can be a bear to maintain. For me, I'm getting too lazy to work on cars anymore.

#5 4 years ago

I can’t imagine a modern stern fitting in one. It is small (for an suv).

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Make sure you get a daily driver for when the BMW is in the shop.

Agreed- we had one for a about 2 years. It always seemed like there was something going wrong with it. After going back and forth with BMW, we said forget it and traded it for a Honda. I will never buy a BMW again.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. More comments welcome!

It looks like it could fit a pin with the rear seats down, provided they fold down flat. But I haven’t measured yet.

I have an Audi, that’s been a bitch the last two years (7 in). But I freaking love the German drive. Nothing like it.

My daily is a Camry! I feel like a Japanese grandpa.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. More comments welcome!
    It looks like it could fit a pin with the rear seats down, provided they fold down flat. But I haven’t measured yet

If you’re looking for a reasonably priced a euro pinhauler then maybe check out the VW Atlas.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

If you’re looking for a reasonably priced a euro pinhauler then maybe check out the VW Atlas.

I’m actually asking because I won one in a raffle. I like it, but the taxes will be steep. If it can haul a pin that will be a big plus.

#10 4 years ago

BMW sure makes a solid car. I'm not sure why it gets all the hate about being broken down all the time. I had a 1st Gen Z4 that was getting up there in miles but for my 4 years or so of having it I only had to put oil into it. Sure was nice I wish my other cars had that reliability.

#11 4 years ago

I appreciate the input I’ve received. Not looking like anyone’s using it as a pin hauler. But it looks like it might be able to if the rear seats fold down flat.

I’ve only seen it once, and I was surprised at the decent space in the back. I usually frown upon small SUVs, thinking they’re more like a toy, and station wagons often have more room. But the X1 didn’t seem tiny in back. And when it’s free, and when it’s the only new BMW I’ll probably ever own in my life...well, I’m down!

And in a year I can probably trade it straight up for JJPs next CE!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

BMW sure makes a solid car. I'm not sure why it gets all the hate about being broken down all the time. I had a 1st Gen Z4 that was getting up there in miles but for my 4 years or so of having it I only had to put oil into it. Sure was nice I wish my other cars had that reliability.

As I always say.....no matter what car you buy it can be a lemon or a peach! I recently looked at the BMW X5 but I didn't like the ride. It seemed to drive more like a truck than a "Luxury SUV" so I went with an Audi Q.

OP, looking at pictures of the X1 it has a flat deck which will allow a pin to slide in BUT, to your point, the seats need to lie flat or you may find that once you start sliding a pin in, if the seats dont lay flat, the pin will rise and hit the roof not allowing you slide it in far enough. You get time maybe run into a BMW dealership and look at one if you have yet to take delivery of the raffle one (congrats on that)!

Lastly, I don't think the BMW will be enough for a trade in on a CE.....might have to add cash in that deal!

#13 4 years ago

I appreciate the input I’ve received. Not looking like anyone’s using it as a pin hauler. But it looks like it might be able to if the rear seats fold down flat.
    I’ve only seen it once, and I was surprised at the decent space in the back. I usually frown upon small SUVs, thinking they’re more like a toy, and station wagons often have more room. But the X1 didn’t seem tiny in back. And when it’s free, and when it’s the only new BMW I’ll probably ever own in my life...well, I’m down!
    And in a year I can probably trade it straight up for JJPs next CE!

Cant speak for overall quality of the X1, but in terms of size for a pin, its not the internal size but the size of the back opening that counts. My Audi Q5 has heaps of space inside with the seats down, but the opening is about 4 cm too small to slide a game in. Pain in the ass.

#14 4 years ago

I agree with the comment above. It’s not going to fit a stern through the hatch.

Raffles usually have a cash option. So if you don’t really need the car you might be better off with that. Especially if you are considering selling at one year. You’ll take a bath. You are taxed on msrp then you’ll sell a depreciated car. That’s an expensive new car experience.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

As I always say.....no matter what car you buy it can be a lemon or a peach! I recently looked at the BMW X5 but I didn't like the ride. It seemed to drive more like a truck than a "Luxury SUV" so I went with an Audi Q.
    OP, looking at pictures of the X1 it has a flat deck which will allow a pin to slide in BUT, to your point, the seats need to lie flat or you may find that once you start sliding a pin in, if the seats dont lay flat, the pin will rise and hit the roof not allowing you slide it in far enough. You get time maybe run into a BMW dealership and look at one if you have yet to take delivery of the raffle one (congrats on that)!
    Lastly, I don't think the BMW will be enough for a trade in on a CE.....might have to add cash in that deal!

MeSz! Was in Santa Barbara last week and got to enjoy one of the 50 days out of the year that the sun don’t shine! Felt like I was up someone’s ass! Had great Mexican food and drinks tho, on State Street near beach. Santo Mexcal I think. Damn they make a great drink!

Anyway, keeping the car. Better than the cash for me right now. Cool ride!

#16 4 years ago

MeSz! Was in Santa Barbara last week and got to enjoy one of the 50 days out of the year that the sun don’t shine! Felt like I was up someone’s ass! Had great Mexican food and drinks tho, on State Street near beach. Santo Mexcal I think. Damn they make a great drink!
    Anyway, keeping the car. Better than the cash for me right now. Cool ride!

Santo Mezcal is 10 min from where I am. Yeah the weather has been unusual here as of late. Been cool with bit of rain

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bmw-x1-decent-car-haul-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.