IMG_0007 (resized).PNG
batman (resized).png
IMG_7998 (resized).PNG
download (resized).jpg
crab (resized).jpg
crazy (resized).jpg
IMG_3006 (resized).JPG
20170418_144512 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 7 years ago

Once you ignore the price, and code, and quality, and issues, and cheap manufacturing and cheap parts, bad design... then rate BM66? That is a tough ask, because all of those factors go into a rating. When I play it, I'm still shocked by the pricing of it. This wasn't pricing by the market (rare game that everyone wants), it was pricing by Stern. And even playing the Premium the number in my head is $15k.

But putting all that aside, it is an ok game. It follows that sparse playfield thing Stern does now. Long shots at the back with some targets in the middle sides you just hit randomly on bounces. The code is generic right now, but we have seen Lyman do cool things with generic code. On location I find it a great game to dump tokens into, but I don't want to own one even though I'm right in the correct demographic. Stern has much better games out there. And the turntable seems clunky. Metallica doesn't have much more in it, yet it seems miles more fun. AS is much more fun, TWD, ST, so many fun games. BM66 just doesn't stack up in that light. It's better than the 2k Stern games (NASCAR, RCT...), but nowhere near as good as the good Stern games (MET, ST, LOTR, IM, Tron, AS, TWD, AC/DC...).

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

So who decides when it's "done"?
And more importantly, what's the timeline on being "done"? 2 years? 5 years?

Privately, Stern. Publicly, bitching customers. One fact is that Stern will do the minimum code needed. There is no public timeline, and there has never been a public declaration of code being "done" for any game. Not once. If there are a lot of customers bitching loudly, they will update it.

The one exception is sometimes Lyman games get a later update. But those can't be counted on. Not even if Lyman is the listed programmer.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

that only had some extra powdercoating and a cheesy topper on it.

I don't know what you're looking at, cause the topper looks fuggin awesome in real life. Say what you want about the game, but that's the best topper I've seen.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I'm in the same boat, could care less about Addams Family and other games that we're "supposed" to like, but love others that are supposed to be crap.

You are not "supposed" to like anything. Where is this list of games you are supposed to like? I haven't seen it. If you are basing it on ratings, we all know ratings are manipulated bullcrap.

Here is my list of games YOU are supposed to like. 1. The games you enjoy playing. 2. RCT, because when the troll yells "Multiball" I giggle, so because I like it, you are supposed to.

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The entire Super LE concept leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths

AND, they sold out. So be prepared for more bad tasting SLE games going forward. Yummy.

#353 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I don't get it, this game is a remake of BDK, so shouldn't the code be complete other than different sounds and animations?The toy crane is the same, the layout is the same, therefore the rules should be done. I've never played it but have played a lot of BDK, just seems silly of why the code is so far behind when the game is a remake. SMVE was a re theme and it did not suffer code issues, it was a SM with new graphics, sounds, and animations. Wow, just wow.

We don't really discuss price in the thread, as the OP requested we put that aside. However in this case, price. If Stern said it was just a remake of BDK, there is no way they could charge 15k. Nobody would buy it. So it was advertised as a whole new game with the things we loved (crane) and with new Lyman rules. Lyman makes pinheads stand up and notice. Otherwise they would have sold 12 of them.

4 weeks later
#499 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Look, the game, as of now, is a disappointment according to many. That can change, but it also might not. People bagged on Iron Man for a long time and very few of us liked it. It's pretty much thought of as a great pin today, but it doesn't mean that people were wrong to dislike it when it was in a bad state of code. From what I see though, Iron Man has a much better layout to build from than Batman '66 does, so Lyman really has his work cut out for him. It's going to take some time to see how it shakes out. But as of today, it's totally valid to feel like the game is a flop based on the hype and price.

I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong about a game. Normally it's because a fundamental change took place, for instance a code update changed the game. Sometimes code can change a whole game. AC/DC was kind of rough, and then blam! Metallica was meh, and then turned fantastic as things were added (CIU was the big one). When Stern puts their mind to it, they can put together a great game. I was very late to the party on IM. It stayed in my dog house for years... and then I bought the VE. Is it still a one ball game? Sure, but omfg is it amazing. Even Walking Dead which I thought was crap ended up being fantastic with its quirky layout.

But not every game can be that. Avengers could have a complete rewrite by Lyman and I don't think I'd like it. NASCAR can't be saved by code. WrestleMania can't be fixed. And I know people don't like to hear this, but I don't think GB can be fixed unless the redo the entire game with a rule set that matches the playfield.

And then there is still Batman 66. A game which I enjoy on location and at other people's houses. But it still feels generic to me. It doesn't have that special pop yet. Plus the game has a lot of things going against it. The pricing is still damaging it. Even on the secondary market there will be no bargains going on. And again, it has to compete with other Stern games. If you put BM66 and AS next to each other and say I can only play one, AS by a mile. Because AS came out of the gate being fun. Stern has 4 current games that I'd pick first. That's it's biggest problem.

1 week later
#519 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Most pins I've played from Date East, and even Sega, feel better and more solid in your hands than a Stern. How they managed to make a pin feel even less sturdy than the B-list manufacturers was a feat of engineering genius.

You do realize that Data East became SEGA which became Stern, right?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 34.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bm66lets-be-honest?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.