IMG_0007 (resized).PNG
batman (resized).png
IMG_7998 (resized).PNG
download (resized).jpg
crab (resized).jpg
crazy (resized).jpg
IMG_3006 (resized).JPG
20170418_144512 (resized).jpg
There are 605 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

I sound like a troll but I'm not.
Please let's this thread as intelligent as we are

can't be a troll when you bash a game you own. Just telling it how it is. I have games that I think play like shit, or the code is shitty, and I tell it how it is. Just because you own it, doesn't mean you have to artificially talk it up. I have those games for specific reasons, and don't care that they have their own unique ways of sucking balls.

Kudos to you for telling your truthful opinion!

#502 6 years ago

I really hope they get all the issues with this one worked out I love the theme and look but honestly if someone invited me into their home to play a game they spent this much $$ on there is no way I'm going to say anything to them other than its a great game no matter how much I hate it.

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If you put BM66 and AS next to each other and say I can only play one, AS by a mile. Because AS came out of the gate being fun. Stern has 4 current games that I'd pick first. That's it's biggest problem.

It's not "by a mile" but go ahead and exaggerate it.

In fact, I actually put both BM66LE and ASLE next to each other in my house, and while i love ASLE, its awesome too, BM66 will get there eventually with Lyman code.

Of course AS is better out of the gate much better at this point. Not by a mile.

#504 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

In fact, I actually put both BM66LE and ASLE next to each other in my house, and while i love ASLE, its awesome too, BM66 will get there eventually with Lyman code.
Of course AS is better out of the gate much better at this point. Not by a mile.

It's his opinion. How do you know he doesn't prefer Aerosmith by a mile? Just like you hate Dailed In, maybe some of us think that poorly of BM66.

#505 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Any machine is clunky if you miss your shots this includes BM66. (Big Money 66?)

I've debated "clunk" with people forever. It seems that people define "clunk" by a missed shot that doesn't bounce off a target or rubber....if there are a lot of posts or blue rubber nubs being hit, people will call it clunky. This is why some say LOTR and TSPP are clunky...I personally disagree - but I've also replaced the plastic Stern post sleeves with Cliffy sleeves, so those missed shots don't feel so clunky on my games. When you make your shots, those games are super smooth and well designed, IMO.

Now when it comes to B66, I find it clunky due to the main turntable toy. Every time I hit it, the ball kinda hops and flounders. It doesn't have a "smooth" ricochet from hits. The whole toy is kind of convoluted "looks clunky". The left ramp has that super floppy plastic and the ball likes to fly off as well...not sure that's "clunk", but it's a noticeable and cheap/flawed feeling when I play.

#506 6 years ago

BM66 feels more rattly than clunky to me, all the playfield elements seem so sparse and bare, like they had to ship it halfway through development. The ball smacking into the metal edge of a ramp is so ugly and unsatisfying. It just doesn't feel "solid".

#507 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've debated "clunk" with people forever. It seems that people define "clunk" by a missed shot that doesn't bounce off a target or rubber....if there are a lot of posts or blue rubber nubs being hit, people will call it clunky. This is why some say LOTR and TSPP are clunky...I personally disagree - but I've also replaced the plastic Stern post sleeves with Cliffy sleeves, so those missed shots don't feel so clunky on my games. When you make your shots, those games are super smooth and well designed, IMO.
Now when it comes to B66, I find it clunky due to the main turntable toy. Every time I hit it, the ball kinda hops and flounders. It doesn't have a "smooth" ricochet from hits. The whole toy is kind of convoluted "looks clunky". The left ramp has that super floppy plastic and the ball likes to fly off as well...not sure that's "clunk", but it's a noticeable and cheap/flawed feeling when I play.

Good points. Plus I'd rather have a clunk missed shot feel than a missed shot rocketing down an outlane or STDM.

#508 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Agreed, not by a mile by any means.
Just played both myself side by side last weekend and it was AS by at least a kilometer...
And yes, imo, BM is clunky, playfield looks thrown together and is right there with Avaturd and Avengers. Didn't even bother to finish my last 2 balls on my last game.
You can post 150K times and it's not gonna help the layout or the software, but whatever to make you feel better about your purchase.
Different strokes as they say for each his own. Super theme, super colors, but total fail on the execution.

#511 6 years ago

Wow my first ever down vote....oh wait no worries it's from BM66's #1 cheerleader

batman (resized).pngbatman (resized).png

#512 6 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Wow my first ever down vote....oh wait no worries it's from BM66's #1 cheerleader

Don't feel special. I'm in the club too!

IMG_0007 (resized).PNGIMG_0007 (resized).PNG

#513 6 years ago

Since Stern charged so much for all 3 versions of Batman 66, they could easily afford to send everyone a fresh new playfield that's been given the same level of thought that went into GB and AS! (Dreaming) Great theme, beautiful cabinets and artwork, but game implementation in my mind gets a "C" at best. It could have been an outta-the-park home run (and with all of the hype surrounding it, it should have been), but that's clearly not the way it went down. Really too bad IMHO. Now will someone please answer the damn bat phone, that sound is driving me crazy!

#514 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Their all blockbusters for sure!
You kind of missed my point though. Steve is the best-selling designer in the history of pinball with like 10 bona fide classics. No bash toys.
Why even bring that up when trying to say AS sucks? I mean, The Addams Family doesn't have a giant clunky spinning cylinder toy in it either, doesn't mean it's no good.

The bell on AC/DC is Bash Toy. And an awesome one.

#515 6 years ago

I played all the new games at Allentown. Having never played any of them before, that was my goal for the day, so I played them all multiple times. BM66 was pretty cool. I put up a GC on one so maybe that influences me, but I played it a few times before getting there and I was having fun.

The game does look and feel a little cheap. I hate to say it but it does. So does AS for that matter, but maybe a little less so. And so does GOT. And so does my IM. That's just Stern these days IMO. DialedIn feels so much more solid and "dialed in" by comparison. DI feels like a B/W. Stern's feel like...well, Stern's (and Sega's and DE's). I wish it wasn't so, because all these games are getting real pricey. And the BM66 entry point makes it an even harder sell, but I thought the game was fun and that shots felt fine and I don't have any issues with the turntable. If the code pans out, and if I can get one used a little cheaper down the road, I might go for it. I'll need to play it more before deciding.

For what it's worth, TWD and GB both feel more sturdy to me. Heavier, and like things are just bolted and screwed down tighter.

GB really has a lot to like. Probably a better all around package than Batman, but I could see code making a difference here, if Lyman stays true to form.

AS was really fun, but no more so to me than BM66 to be honest. I'd love to own them all.

#516 6 years ago

I do have one question. Is the "ball" on the crane smaller on BM66 than it was on TDK? I recall the TDK crane ball being about the size of a Pinball. The ball on BM66 is a lot smaller than a pinball, so as related to my memory anyway, seemingly less robust.

#517 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

...The game does look and feel a little cheap. I hate to say it but it does. So does AS for that matter, but maybe a little less so. And so does GOT. And so does my IM. That's just Stern these days IMO. DialedIn feels so much more solid and "dialed in" by comparison. DI feels like a B/W. Stern's feel like...well, Stern's (and Sega's and DE's)...

Most pins I've played from Date East, and even Sega, feel better and more solid in your hands than a Stern. How they managed to make a pin feel even less sturdy than the B-list manufacturers was a feat of engineering genius.

#518 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Most pins I've played from Date East, and even Sega, feel better and more solid in your hands than a Stern. How they managed to make a pin feel even less sturdy than the B-list manufacturers was a feat of engineering genius.

Hmmm I think this may be because of the new spike systems.
There are less wires, less boards under the playfield, and less boards in the head box.
All of this I feel makes the machine sound hollow and cheap.

I'm happy with there machines, tho I do not like the price increase on every release.

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

You do realize that Data East became SEGA which became Stern, right?

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You do realize that Data East became SEGA which became Stern, right?

Of course I do, which is why I'm bummed Stern managed to make DE/Sega feel even worse.

1 week later
#521 6 years ago

BM66 scores a whopping 4 out of 10 in Buffalo Pinball's latest review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLxv7Si8AfIM_uwMNdrpmkx0T1Z46UhTFr&v=nHo_-imkiBQ

LOTS of room for improvement apparently - yikes!

#522 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLxv7Si8AfIM_uwMNdrpmkx0T1Z46UhTFr&v=nHo_-imkiBQ

They are just jealous haters.

#523 6 years ago

I am an LE owner and I would say that's about right maybe 5/10 imo, but you have to remember the code isn't even half finished, half the features don't work/aren't coded yet. So they are totally right there is ALOT of room for improvement and with Lyman on code it will come its just a matter of when, MET, TWD, even games going back like SM suffered a similar rep/fate for well over a year after their release but with time Lyman turned them all into awesome game, I would consider SM & TWD close to masterpieces.

Once the code is done on BM66 the real judgement can be passed on it, but if people are working on the premise that its a 4 or 5 out of 10 and its less than half coded, then technically once the other half of the code/features are added if that other half of the game is also a 4 or 5 out of 10 then we should be left with a 8 or 10 out of 10 game?!?

#524 6 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

They are just jealous haters.

If Iceman has had a drink tonight you know that's going to fire him up

#525 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Speaking of which, I'm sipping a whiskey coke myself right now, going over the SW pictures reviewing, re-reviewing, scratching my head, shaking my head, analyzing someone's superb AC/DC - SW playfield overlay photo, etc., with tons of mixed emotions. SW will probably have great flow given Richie's history, and look better in person, but right now I'm glad that I bought BM66 instead.

#526 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Nah, I know Yo Pauly and his band of naysayers are just "jealous haters", and who the F is Buffalo Pinball

You are right though, a LONG ways to go before you can really judge it. It's on the road to being great, Lyman will make it happen.

#527 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nah, I know Yo Pauly and his band of naysayers are just "jealous haters", and who the F is Buffalo Pinball
You are right though, a LONG ways to go before you can really judge it. It's on the road to being great, Lyman will make it happen.

Yeah i was going to ask that too> who the F is Buffalo Pinball??!!

#528 6 years ago

Buffalo Pinball? They're a reliable authority. They play more in a week than you guys all play in a year, I'm sure of that. And they're extremely fair. This is the first game they've really scored low, and they left the door open for an improved score down the line, but they are right that there's no valid excuse for the game being released as it is.

#529 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just calling it like it is. If it gets better my tone will change but until then, I will keep it real.

#530 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's on the road to being great, Lyman will make it happen.

I hope so.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#531 6 years ago

I was doing exactly the same with my NIB SM, BDK and TWD and my friend was the same with his NIB MET and Lyman delivered on all those games, even BDK was vastly improved with its final code update.

#532 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Buffalo Pinball? They're a reliable authority. They play more in a week than you guys all play in a year, I'm sure of that. And they're extremely fair. This is the first game they've really scored low, and they left the door open for an improved score down the line, but they are right that there's no valid excuse for the game being released as it is.

Dude do you have any sense of when someone is joking

In fact, I just watched about 15 minutes of DI stream. Between the hyper girl jumping up and down, ridiculous selfie modes and absolute BORE FEST of a theme I had to turn it off

They don't play more in a week than I play in a year, if they do their skills should be a LOT better

I like watching the streams from them and JD, gives me a good feel for what I might like.

Like purchasing an ASLE

DI Looks like an easy shooter with some cool stuff but just a horrendous theme that I have zero desire to play

Theme alone with BM66 beats DI hands down. That's my "fair" opinion

Here is an emoticon multi ball for you

#534 6 years ago

And no, nobody knows when you're "joking" anymore because 90% of your posts are fanboyish hyperbole and really, really dodgy "honest" or "fair" opinions. We get it. You're ridiculously stubborn and childish.

#535 6 years ago

Here is my experience with BM66:

- When I played it the first time it was on location and I was 100% not impressed, except I loved the theme.
- I told my wife we should get GoT Pro and she said fuck that she wants BM66. Being a total theme whore I agreed.
- I had it at the local pinball convention in AZ, Zapcon, and it was constantly in use, had zero issues, and was fan voted as the most fun pinball machine there. I am sure novelty played a large role in that vote, but still, I was surprised.
- Now that I have it home, I have never had a pinball that my kids and wife like more, the closest was my MMR, but this has been way more popular. And now that I have had some good time with it on .75 I really love it, it's not nearly as clunky as I originally thought. But it really does need a lot of updates regarding sounds/videos/etc. I have completely come around on the pf though, I really like it.

-ben

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

And no, nobody knows when you're "joking" anymore because 90% of your posts are fanboyish hyperbole and really, really dodgy "honest" or "fair" opinions. We get it. You're ridiculously stubborn and childish.

Omg. Pot meet kettle with JJP non stop fanboy nonsense

Pinball is fun and yes childish. I don't take it as seriously as you do

Btw, see rating above. That's how most of that have one in home feel.

I could give 2 dumps about Buffalo opinion on an unfinished pin. I do like their streams

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Omg. Pot meet kettle with JJP non stop fanboy nonsense

Yeah, man. I'm JJP's number 1 cheerleader. Look at how much I adore The Hobbit. You got me!

The problem with people like you on Pinside is you don't allow for anything but total polar opposite opinions. It makes discussion around here really poor. I like some things, I don't like others. There are yet other things that I'm lukewarm to. I don't care what manufacturer put out a game, I'll play the game (imagine that, playing the game!), and judge what's in front of me at that time. If I don't like it, I'll say that I don't like it. If I do like it, I'll say so. If I really like it, I'll buy it. I don't really put much more thought and effort into it.

Batman '66, as it stands right now is a dud. It's shallow and feels cheap. I hold out hope that it gets better, and I am open to revising my thoughts on the game. I feel the same way about The Hobbit (aside from it feeling cheap). It's just a dud.

Here are a few more of my opinions, since you seem to care so much!

Ghostbusters - Great game! Needs a code revision desperately though.
Game of Thrones - Fantastic game, as long as it's the pro. Killer code work from Dwight.
KISS - Really a chore to play. Not fun.
Rob Zombie - Not a fan of the layout or the current code. We'll see what the update brings.
America's Most Haunted - Great fun! I like the code and the layout.
Aerosmith - It's just ok. Feels overly familiar, but it's a pretty good layout. The code is fine.
Full Throttle - Not much of a fan. Don't care for the code and the theme integration is a bit lame.
Alien - Fun game! I need more time to really get dialed into the shots, but I like what I've seen.
Dialed In - Amazing layout and I dig the code. I'm all in on this one. I don't love the art, but it's fitting. Great LCD work.
Jurassic Park - Underrated pin that is a great bang for your buck experience. Great starter pin.

Need some more?

#538 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, man. I'm JJP's number 1 cheerleader. Look at how much I adore The Hobbit. You got me!
The problem with people like you on Pinside is you don't allow for anything but total polar opposite opinions. It makes discussion around here really poor. I like some things, I don't like others. There are yet other things that I'm lukewarm to. I don't care what manufacturer put out a game, I'll play the game (imagine that, playing the game!), and judge what's in front of me at that time. If I don't like it, I'll say that I don't like it. If I do like it, I'll say so. If I really like it, I'll buy it. I don't really put much more thought and effort into it.
Batman '66, as it stands right now is a dud. It's shallow and feels cheap. I hold out hope that it gets better, and I am open to revising my thoughts on the game. I feel the same way about The Hobbit (aside from it feeling cheap). It's just a dud.
Game of Thrones - Fantastic game, as long as it's the pro. Killer code work from Dwight.
Rob Zombie - Not a fan of the layout or the current code. We'll see what the update brings.
Aerosmith - It's just ok. Feels overly familiar, but it's a pretty good layout. The code is fine.
Full Throttle - Not much of a fan. Don't care for the code and the theme integration is a bit lame.
Alien - Fun game! I need more time to really get dialed into the shots, but I like what I've seen.
Dialed In - Amazing layout and I dig the code. I'm all in on this one. I don't love the art, but it's fitting. Great LCD work.
Jurassic Park - Underrated pin that is a great bang for your buck experience. Great starter pin.
Need some more?

You state your opinions as if they are fact. Always and in every thread

They aren't but that comes with taking yourself too seriously

There isn't a right or wrong. And the only right that matters when I buy a pin is my "right"

You can say it 1000 times again and again, but BM66 is not a "dud" even as it sits right now

#539 6 years ago

Only one way to settle this, you two need to fight this one out

0000 (resized).png0000 (resized).png

#540 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Need some more?

Batman a dud?

I had friends over last weekend to play some pinball. We probably played my Batman a good 3 hours. Code is already at a fun level. Give Lyman more time and it will become an epic level. Remember, he signed the playfield for a reason.

#541 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I could give 2 dumps about Buffalo opinion on an unfinished pin. I do like their streams

Thanks for watching!

#542 6 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Thanks for watching!

I appreciate the effort guys!

Hyper girl was funny. Not a theme I can get into though

#543 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I appreciate the effort guys!
Hyper girl was funny. Not a theme I can get into though

Fair enough, not every game is for everyone. Thankfully we've got lots of options for games and manufacturers these days!

#544 6 years ago

Two more people who did not bother to understand why the game was released with alpha code.

#545 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Two more people who did not bother to understand why the game was released with alpha code.

I guess I am three?

Yes it was supposed to be a anniversary celebration, but it makes not sense to me to ship what was their most expensive flagship game ever, and release it with half-assed code.

I can't imagine how bad it must have been when Lyman wouldn't let anyone play it.

#546 6 years ago

Based on all the hype leading up to BM66 at Expo, having Adam West and a Batmobile on site, 30 years of pinball and 50 years of Batman, and a Bat-Party with Gary running around in a Penguin suit, people sending in videos and applications for the "invitation" to buy an SLE then signing documents not to sell the coveted machine in less than a year without giving Stern the right to buy it back first (cause there's a waiting list), etc... Given all this AND the price structure of the game, the result (IMHO) is disappointing (brilliant marketing tho). One would have thought there would have been some serious attention given to not just the beautiful cabinets and artwork, but also the playfield elements and at least a rev 1 software level. Yea, Lyman is a great coder and eventually it'll be a better game for sure, but probably not the "10" it could have been. I hate bitching, but every time I look at the unopened box in my garage, it bums be out!

#547 6 years ago

Yea, the comment above about there being no excuse for this being released with alpha code is just uninformed. I knew that from the start, and anyone that did their homework did too. I specifically asked Gomez at the show here in Chicago, and he wasn't even sure it would be playable upon release, let alone have any quality code. Now we can say all day this was an absolute cash-grab by Stern, and I will agree with that statement 100 times out of 100. It was obvious they pushed this up and used their anniversary as the reason, and then grabbed all the cash they could.....but with that said, we all bought into it knowing the code was non-existent. We bought on the faith that Lyman would make this a great game. Now of course time will tell if it is great or just good, but he has added some nice code to get us on our way. If he stops tomorrow, I am going to be pissed at both Stern and myself. Them for failing on their promise, and me for trusting them. But until that point, I have only myself to blame for knowingly buying a pin with no code. So yea, there is an excuse.....I lined up and offered them money for what they had. Lyman will make this game great/good, just watch.....

#548 6 years ago

No other industry, except maybe console gaming, releases their product unfinished, and even then it's mostly bug fixes - not major components of the gameplay.

Dialed In will be released with at least 1.0 code! What's Stern's excuse?

#549 6 years ago

I would love nothing more than for Batman '66 to become a modern masterpiece. I find that unlikely due to the layout, but some dodgy layouts have been elevated by code, so I'm still holding out hope.

Whether you were informed that the game was in a beta release state at launch or not is unimportant. You can really only opine on what is in front of you, but you have to allow that opinion to evolve. We can very much dislike B66 today and love it in a year. Iron Man went through that cycle, but I would argue that IM has a vastly superior layout.

We'll see. But since this thread is about being honest, it seems only appropriate to admit that the game is deeply flawed in its current state. CURRENT STATE. So chill when people drop in and don't seem to like it right now. You might! That's ok.

#550 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I would love nothing more than for Batman '66 to become a modern masterpiece. I find that unlikely due to the layout, but some dodgy layouts have been elevated by code.

TWD would fit the above criteria, I remember upon release it was called a clunkfest and the layout was slagged off no end. Lymans code literally made it feel like a completely different game, pure brilliance from Lyman on TWD. I love the BM66 layout but then again I liked BDK a lot as it was so different to everything else I had, I just wanted that upper playfield and terrible teeter totter ramp replaced and BM66 did just that.

Quoted from jar155:

We can very much dislike B66 today and love it in a year. Iron Man went through that cycle, but I would argue that IM has a vastly superior layout.
We'll see. But since this thread is about being honest, it seems only appropriate to admit that the game is deeply flawed in its current state. CURRENT STATE. So chill when people drop in and don't seem to like it right now. You might! That's ok.

Perfectly said Jar at the moment BM66 is about a 5 out of 10, but its also less than half complete so it will be interesting to see where it ends up in a years time/whenever Lyman gets code complete, what he is adding slowly with each update is building a good foundation for some more awesome code from Lyman, just a case of time and patience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 605 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bm66lets-be-honest/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.