Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by joehockey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Forgive me if this has been covered but haven’t seen it in any forum.

I have a few JJP games with a headphone Jack. Thinking of adding a headphone Jack to my stern games. Question is, is there an adapter that would work to plug into the pinball machine headphone Jack so I could use a Bluetooth pair of headphones? From the research that I’ve done so far, a Bluetooth adapter that you would use for a car stereo would not work in this situation.

Ideas? Would love to hear if anyone has done this.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Meri-cah:

Forgive me if this has been covered but haven’t seen it in any forum.
    I have a few JJP games with a headphone Jack. Thinking of adding a headphone Jack to my stern games. Question is, is there an adapter that would work to plug into the pinball machine headphone Jack so I could use a Bluetooth pair of headphones? From the research that I’ve done so far, a Bluetooth adapter that you would use for a car stereo would not work in this situation.
    Ideas? Would love to hear if anyone has done this.

They make a ton of 3.5 mm bluetooth transmitters.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

They make a ton of 3.5 mm bluetooth transmitters.

I understand that. But will they work with these pins? Simply just asking if anyone has tried this. And which one works. Thanks.

#4 2 years ago

Why do you need Bluetooth? Wired headphones are better

#5 2 years ago

Last time I tried hooking up to a headphone jack on a Stern it wouldn't output audio... must be sensing the impedance of the load because it worked if I split the signal to a pair of headphones.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why do you need Bluetooth? Wired headphones are better

All I have are really good Bluetooth headphones. My brother works in the industry and sends me wireless headphones from top manufacturers that are amazing. Average pair is $300. I don’t pay for them, just simply enjoy listening to top quality sound without the wires

#7 2 years ago

On a similar note, I'm looking to connect directly to an amp via BT, like a Sonos. I don't want to use an intermediate device like a phone. I would consider a transmitter/receiver combo if there is one that is known to work.

I'll only be doing this with spike 2 machines and plan to use the Pinsound adapter to get a 3.5mm output.

Has anyone done that?

#8 2 years ago

When I was adding a headphone panel to my Deadpool, Sandra from Pinnovators told me that theirs would work with 3.5mm bluetooth adaptors. I've only been using wired headphones though, so I've never bought one to see how it went.

From an old email:
    "Question 2 - Our kit should work fine with Bluetooth if you use an adapter. I would highly recommend reading reviews before buying an adapter as Bluetooth is so finicky. That is actually why we haven’t adapted our kits to be Bluetooth ready. "

#9 2 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't add one of those RCA/3.5mm to Bluetooth adapters to the game.

Bluetooth might add 50ms of audio lag, likely not noticeable.

#10 2 years ago

5Below carries a half-decent one, but it needs a USB port for power.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

On a similar note, I'm looking to connect directly to an amp via BT, like a Sonos. I don't want to use an intermediate device like a phone. I would consider a transmitter/receiver combo if there is one that is known to work.
    I'll only be doing this with spike 2 machines and plan to use the Pinsound adapter to get a 3.5mm output.
    Has anyone done that?

I'm trying it this weekend.

#12 2 years ago

Has anyone done that?

I think a BT transmitter board would fit the bill for both you and the OP, and could be mounted and hardwired into a game in a way that appears "stock".

I used an identical module as the one in the link in a shortwave receiver with good results (wanted to use noise-cancelling HPs), and I don't see why it wouldn't also work well in this situation. It requires +5v supply and can take a line-level analog signal from the Pinsound adapter, and features pins for a momentary SPST pushbutton switch and LED for BT pairing mode.

https://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker-Headphones/dp/B081TD27G7/ref=sr_1_20

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
    #13 2 years ago

Yea, that's more than I wanted to fabricate, but it would be great if someone would.

At this point, I'm thinking 2 of these, on on either end. Would be nice and easy if they work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JKDBNKB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I think a BT transmitter board would fit the bill for both you and the OP, and could be mounted and hardwired into a game in a way that appears "stock".
    I used an identical module as the one in the link in a shortwave receiver with good results (wanted to use noise-cancelling HPs), and I don't see why it wouldn't also work well in this situation. It requires +5v supply and can take a line-level analog signal from the Pinsound adapter, and features pins for a momentary SPST pushbutton switch and LED for BT pairing mode.
    amazon.com link »[quoted image][quoted image]

Have one of these to experiment with but holding off because the entire thing is the size of a quarter. Want to find an adapter PCB to bring it to 0.1" header pins. These modules are cheap and have a programmable BT ID, which is attractive in a multi-game setup.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

Have one of these to experiment with but holding off because the entire thing is the size of a quarter. Want to find an adapter PCB to bring it to 0.1" header pins. These modules are cheap and have a programmable BT ID, which is attractive in a multi-game setup.

Well I hate surface mount boards, why can't they make them like the B/W boards so I can repair them!

Didn't notice the size, def beyond my skills.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

The tiny size is a feature, not a bug! Very easy to unobtrusively mount just about anywhere, though I agree the nonstandard header definitely earns a zonk (I never found an adapter so I ended up simply hardwiring everything in my radio project).

Well I hate surface mount boards, why can't they make them like the B/W boards so I can repair them!
    Didn't notice the size, def beyond my skills.

The only things you need to solder on this board are the connections, all of which are through-hole and nicely pretinned, so it’s definitely NOT beyond your skills if you can work on B/W boards!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

The only things you need to solder on this board are the connections, all of which are through-hole and nicely pretinned, so it’s definitely NOT beyond your skills if you can work on B/W boards!

Sorry you didn’t get the joke. When stern went to spike everyone bitched about the surface mounted components and repairs.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Found a guy who was able to get his wired up to 0.1" headers.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/kcx_bt_emitter-low-cost-bluetooth-bt-audio-module.158156/

#19 2 years ago

Really though, these are the best headphones for pinball. Lightweight, comfortable, breathable, they allow you to hear enough of the mechanical sounds, perfect length cable to hang on plunger without hitting the floor…

Koss Porta Pro On Ear Headphones with Case, Black / Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_A96ZSJRWN1SVDAMNZK85

#20 2 years ago

Sorry you didn’t get the joke. When stern went to spike everyone bitched about the surface mounted components and repairs.

Ha, I guess it was late and I was half-conscious, lol. Yes, I remember being amused by the gnashing of teeth (not only in pinball, but also audio and other DIY electronics) and the hyperbolic posts suggesting it would "kill" the hobby.

Thanks for the link, now I want to experiment further with these boards.

#21 2 years ago

Tried 2 of those TX/RX combo devices. They were able to pair to each other, but it seems the dual use 1/8" jack isn't high impedance. When I plug it into Rollergames it is pulling down the audio signal, never had that problem with other equipment. Going to try another model with separate input and output jacks.

#22 2 years ago

Rat can you clarify your post. I’m not following it.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

And if you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks, here is the same board for $5 including shipping!
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20220129080813&origin=y&SearchText=KCX_BT_EMITTER

(I buy from AliExpress all the time and never had a problem)

#24 2 years ago

Rat can you clarify your post. I’m not following it.

It didn't work.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

It didn't work.

I got that part. What does pulling down the audio signal mean?

What were you plugging it in to? A dedicated jack or one that auto switches?

I’m planning to use a dedicated output jack from pinsound, so would I have that issue?

I’ll look for other devices just trying to understand what issues I might face. I don’t know much about this stuff.

#26 2 years ago

I got that part. What does pulling down the audio signal mean?
    What were you plugging it in to? A dedicated jack or one that auto switches?
    I’m planning to use a dedicated output jack from pinsound, so would I have that issue?
    I’ll look for other devices just trying to understand what issues I might face. I don’t know much about this stuff.

My Rollergames is modded for audio out, off the volume control. Normally when I hook something up you can still hear the audio through the speakers. When I connected it to the jack of the BT adapter all the audio became very faint.

Dedicated output jack is probably fine. The adapters worked when I hooked the transmitter up to my phone, there was a little bit of lag but hard to tell exactly how much.

#27 2 years ago

Tried 2 new adapters, paired to themselves. These have a dedicated TX jack.

Audio works correctly, but the bluetooth signal has major lag. It's so bad the callouts sound like a hype man repeating the word that was just said.

7 months later
    #28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Meri-cah:

All I have are really good Bluetooth headphones. My brother works in the industry and sends me wireless headphones from top manufacturers that are amazing. Average pair is $300. I don’t pay for them, just simply enjoy listening to top quality sound without the wires

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Really though, these are the best headphones for pinball. Lightweight, comfortable, breathable, they allow you to hear enough of the mechanical sounds, perfect length cable to hang on plunger without hitting the floor…
    Koss Porta Pro On Ear Headphones with Case, Black / Silver amazon.com link »

Koss is a Milwaukee WI based company (my hometown) and everything they make is pretty solid. That being said, these are still wired headphones. Curious...I think it was you in earlier string....is this where your brother happens to work? I love visiting their factory store. Anyone who thinks $300 headphones are a"good deal" might want to really compare various audiophile reports on them. I would be interested in end result as I would like to do this to my Godzilla machine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bluetooth-adapter-for-headphones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.