Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7777 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2632 (resized).JPG
    rollergames_brothers (resized).jpg
    blues_brothers_dixie1 (resized).jpg
    blues_brothers_dixie2 (resized).jpg
    SCMODS (resized).jpg
    IMG_4356 (resized).jpg
    200_s (resized).png
    BB10 (resized).JPG
    BB8a (resized).jpg
    BluesBrothers (resized).jpg
    The-Blues-Brothers-film-images-9621dfcd-61e9-4bd8-ad50-2604dd075d6 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2545 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1856 (resized).JPG
    s-l1000 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20170101-142156 (resized).png
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Blues Brothers Pinball. Ive been thinking about this one for some time now. I like playing pinball. I also like the challenge of doing something different. . . working on a project of some kind but I think the Mrs. gets tired if me spending so much time in the garage/shop. If I work indoors for awhile she will either realize how good she had it and be glad to get rid of me when the next outdoor project comes or she may find the retheme interesting and get more involved in my pinball habit.

This is the first post of a project that I imagine could take a year or more to see thru. I have no unrealistic expectations. . . but some big dreams at this point.

Ive enjoyed playing the pins in my little collection and at shows; I had contemplated restoring one of my games (and that will still happen) but a donor game was acquired locally for a good price so Ive decided to move forward with a theme I find entertaining that fits the experience of a pin nicely. I think a Blues Brothers theme would incorporate great music, fun callouts, and one of my favorite movies into a fun playing table. There are a couple pages of notes/thoughts that get written down as they jump into my brain, but first I will start with the foundation.

I am starting with a Williams Rollergames. The machine was local, the price was right, and the original theme is not all that great so I do not have to feel bad about the conversion. It also does not have a DMD so I do not have to worry about the graphic displays.

It is also Pinsound compatible. I am a visual gears, pulleys, and levers kind of guy. The mechanical nature of the game is one of the things that appeals to me. I am lacking when it comes to programming and computer code but I am willing to take on the challenge of creating my own sounds and callouts. I picked up a Pinsound card recently (Thanks Pinballbuyer !) and have started creating/gathering up WAV files using Audacity software. If my understanding is correct I can use every factory switch and trigger as designed on the machine and simply plug in a new sound with the Pinsound card. Perhaps I am oversimplifying things and I am getting in way over my head. . .

A coworker's spouse is involved with graphic design and vinyl decals; I have discussed the project with him and he is looking forward to helping with playfield design, cabinet decals, etc.

Some of my thoughts for the game so far:
    Bumpers and that area of the playfield are the Dixieland Shopping Mall -- bumper hits can be the sound of crashing glass.
    Skating Ramps/paths should convert over to roads/highways well. (Lower Wacker Drive?) Cop car crash imagery required.
    The different skate team inserts can become locations in the movie: Ray's Music Exchange, Bobs Country Bunker, Soul Food Cafe, etc.
    The Magnet can be labeled as "Glue, Strong Stuff"
    The Pit that launches the ball thru the wire form can be the drawbridge jump.
    "SKATE" can become "BLUES" for the targets/inserts along the left.
    Other Inserts can be relabeled as "Cop Tires, Cop Motor, Cop Shocks, etc.
    The figure eight above the flippers labeled in some way as "Mission from God"
    Jake and Elwood will be pictured where the two skater girls are on the playfield near the slingshots.
    Call outs. . . so many good ones. Probably the most fun Ive had with the ideas so far. Ball launch besides the intro theme could be "106 miles to Chicago. . . its dark and we are wearing sunglasses, Hit It!", or "Excessive force in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved." Ball Drain: "Dont come back until you've redeemed yourselves," or A. Franklin's "Get on outta here without your four fried chickens, without your dry white toast, and without Matt Guitar Murphy!"
    Others that need to be included: John Candy's "Orange Whip", of Course "We're on a mission from God", One of my favorites "Did you bring me my Cheez-Wiz Boy?", Illinois Nazis, and so many more.

Right now the plan is to play Rollergames for awhile to get a feel for the game. At the same time I can continue to work on sound files and get a better feel for what sounds to play at what points in the game. Before I start any tear down of the machine or playfield Id like to have all the sound files done and working because that will probably be the more challenging part (for me anyway).

Again, this is probably the first post of a project that is going to take some time. I even debated starting it, but you have to begin somewhere and now that I have the donor game I feel more motivated to move forward. Who knows, perhaps I will fall in love with Rollergames and decide it would be better than a Blues Brothers Theme. . . but I doubt it!

#2 6 years ago

Awesome! Following....

#3 6 years ago

i would have kept this under wraps a bit longer personally. You pinsiders are already going to start undercutting you and making Scomds

It didn't feel well to type that but I had to...I'm sorry

Infinite ideas/call out in this one. --> switch frenzy mode where every switch makes a train noise
    " So often that you won't even notice it"

#4 6 years ago

Yea,

Its probably a little early to start posting with nothing more than a few WAV files dedicated to the theme but if I waited too long someone else would have come up with the same ideas/posted before me or I would have forgotten half the stuff from the beginning stages.

Ive restored a few vehicles in the past and many of my projects are started by someone else. I buy in after they've torn everything apart and lose interest -- I do not want to be that guy when it comes to pinball. I have every intention of taking the theme to completion but also realize I am out of my comfort zone and know there will be a lot of bumps in the road.

Starting the post/topic will motivate me to stick with it. . . if not I will forever be that guy that didnt do what he said he was going to do on pinside. . .

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

i would have kept this under wraps a bit longer personally. You pinsiders are already going to start undercutting you and making Scomds
    It didn't feel well to type that but I had to...I'm sorry
    Infinite ideas/call out in this one. --> switch frenzy mode where every switch makes a train noise
    " So often that you won't even notice it"

SCMODS : State County Municipal Offender Data System. First movie I ever saw in the theater. Spectacular.

#6 6 years ago

Great idea!

The "... and we're wearing sunglasses" call out should be for starting multiball.

#7 6 years ago

EPIC EPIC EPIC!

fix the cigarette lighter when you tilt!

#8 6 years ago

The movie is still on the minds of those in Chicago.....

#9 6 years ago

Screenshot_20170101-142156 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170101-142156 (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

Glad the idea holds value in others minds as well.

A few other thoughts included attaching the briefcase chain/handcuff to the machine -- wearing while playing is optional!

There are plenty of Bluesmobiles in various scales out there that can be used as toys in the machine as well as a topper; also a lot of Chicago police cars that can be in pursuit or just in a big crash/pile up.
    blues-brothers-car-chase (resized).jpgblues-brothers-car-chase (resized).jpg

Not sure what kind of room I will have available on the play field but thought one of the buildings from Dirty Harry could fit in as Elwood's apartment building. Doubt I can make it blow up though. . .

Thought the poster for their concert from the movie might make a good image for the sides of the upper cabinet; but I do not think the colors will fit the overall theme.
    s-l1000 (resized).jpgs-l1000 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

I'd love to see this happen, one of my favorite films, good luck!

#12 6 years ago

This could also be a music themed pin featuring different songs. They really had a kick ass band backing them up featuring all-star musicians. They were playing Sweet Home Chicago on the radio the other day.

#13 6 years ago

Great idea on the theme. Gotta put Rawhide song in there somewhere.

#14 6 years ago

Awesome theme. Love the movie. So much great material and music. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

#15 6 years ago

The Holiday Inn where Jake & Elwood reunite with Murph and the Magitones still stands and is open It's now a Best Western Plus as it changed from Holiday Inn about ten years ago. A hip roof was added replacing the flat roof.

In Hillside, Illinois along the Eisenhower Expressway between Mannheim & Wolf Roads. About two miles South of Gottlieb's now gone Northlake factory.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from pchdetc:

Great idea on the theme. Gotta put Rawhide song in there somewhere.

& "Stand by your man"

#17 6 years ago

I imagine youve seen this backglass already...,

IMG_1856 (resized).JPGIMG_1856 (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago

Happy 4th of July. Every parade needs the blues brothers.
    IMG_2545 (resized).JPGIMG_2545 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I imagine youve seen this backglass already...,

I had actually not.
    It would not surprise me if there are a number of blues brother rethemes already out there.

I was wanting the backglass to include the Dodge Monaco -- its as much part of the movie as Jake and Elwood.

BluesBrothers (resized).jpgBluesBrothers (resized).jpg The-Blues-Brothers-film-images-9621dfcd-61e9-4bd8-ad50-2604dd075d6 (resized).jpgThe-Blues-Brothers-film-images-9621dfcd-61e9-4bd8-ad50-2604dd075d6 (resized).jpg

If I remember correctly the Rollergames Backglass sits above the scoring display so I will not have to worry about cutouts in the image.

#20 6 years ago

On drain...the quote from the leader of the Good Ole Boys after they ditched the RV in the river...."Don't you say a f**king word".....lol

On ball lock......."Boys, you in a whole heap of trouble"......lol

#21 6 years ago

Love it, great theme idea! Will be watching with much anticipation.

#23 6 years ago

Super Penguin Pop Bumpers mode: each pop hit is a &!@? or a #%&, like when she was whacking them with the ruler.

#24 6 years ago

Tractor, I'm sorta like you - I always wanted to convert a Williams baseball machine into one honoring the world champion 1975/1976 Cincinnati Reds. I finally got my wish, although it took thirty years.

BB8a (resized).jpgBB8a (resized).jpg

BB10 (resized).JPGBB10 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

200_s (resized).png200_s (resized).png

#26 6 years ago

Following

#27 6 years ago

Did you bring me my Cheez Wiz, boy?

#28 6 years ago

I hate Illinois Nazis.

#29 6 years ago

My top 3 dream themes:
    1. rick and morty (wolfmarsh has that covered)
    2. Back to the future (I have the data east, but want an updated version)
    3. Blues brothers

I wrote some ideas down a couple years ago on my blog, maybe some of them would translate to your pre-existing layout:
    http://homebrewpinball.blogspot.com/2015/08/blues-brothers-pinball.html

If you need any 3d printed parts modeled / printed, let me know and I'll try to help

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

I finally got my wish, although it took thirty years.

Looks Great fordtudoor !
    I know this project is going to take some time but hope to do it in less than 30 years!
    I am in the middle of my current project -- restoration of a '72 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. Have a bit more time to spend on it before I can devote full attention to Jake and Elwood but I have been working on planning/research for the retheme when I find time.

IMG_4356 (resized).jpgIMG_4356 (resized).jpg

Ive found many of the sound clips Ive been looking for in WAV format online, have also copied/stored most of the song files Im wanting with the Audacity Software.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I wrote some ideas down a couple years ago on my blog, maybe some of them would translate to your pre-existing layout:
    http://homebrewpinball.blogspot.com/2015/08/blues-brothers-pinball.html

If you need any 3d printed parts modeled / printed, let me know and I'll try to help

I really appreciate the info and contact. The pop bumper shopping mall may be something that could benefit from your talents.
    Back to the Future is a title Id like to have in the collection someday. . . there are enough irons in the fire needing my attention at the moment though so it will have to stay on the wishlist for now.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Evets:

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Ha! "I've always loved you"

#32 6 years ago

"Rollers"
    Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
    Jake: SCMODS?
    Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

SCMODS (resized).jpgSCMODS (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

I was talking to a friend of mine about a dream theme and we both thought the Blues Brothers or Animal House.

One of my favorite movies growing up. My awesome Mom would take me to these inappropriate for 10 year old "R" rated movies. Some of the best music, cameos and greatest car chase/stunts ever. A small but hilarious scenes is when they park the car for the valets at the fancy restaurant by peeling into the curb. Kills me every time.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The pop bumper shopping mall may be something that could benefit from your talents.

blues_brothers_dixie2 (resized).jpgblues_brothers_dixie2 (resized).jpg
    blues_brothers_dixie1 (resized).jpgblues_brothers_dixie1 (resized).jpg

Quick mockup:
    rollergames_brothers (resized).jpgrollergames_brothers (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Hey the new oldsmobiles are in early....

#36 6 years ago

Disco Pants & Haircuts.....

#37 6 years ago

Long live the Dixie Square Mall. All that's left is the slab from the mall these days....

#38 6 years ago

Man, just watched the movie last night, too funny.

Carrie Fisher gets the I forgot that actor was in the movie award.

Pier 1 would be the first to sell this pinball machine, in any Malls still in operation in 2017.

just ordered four fried chickens and a coke for dinner...

#39 6 years ago

Just saw this, awesome idea, loved the movie.

Hope you can fit this in somewhere:

9 months later
    #40 5 years ago

Time to blow some dust off this thread.

The idea is still active in mind and I have been doing some minor research/development over the past number of months. A lot of my time has been devoted to the Nine Ball Project that has its own thread -- in a way that has been a helpful intro to pinball basics from a parts and pieces standpoint. Probably a little better than halfway finished and hopefully past the difficult parts. Once done the Blues Brothers take priority.

I have the rollergames machine setup and have been playing it. Spending some time getting to know the game is important in my mind to know how I can transition the modes, callouts, etc. to the new theme. I also have a list of the little bugs/issues I need to workout when taking apart/rebuilding the playfield.

I have been collecting a lot of WAV files from the web and downloaded the original rollergames soundtrack file from pinsound -- not the easiest thing to "show" on a Pinside thread but as a guy lacking in fancy computer skills I feel good about being able to create my own audio/sound effects.

My buddy that works in graphic design stopped out today (one of the reasons that sparked the thread update) and took a look at the goals of the project. He seemed very at ease with the ideas I have in mind -- creating a new translite and playfield design are like trying to read a foreign language to me but he was able to describe how he would tackle the process and made it sound like a piece of cake. I have faith in his confidence, his past work is outstanding. Today he told me to get to work on clearing the playfield. Once the top is bare he would stop back, take pictures/measurements/scans, and do his computer magic to create our new playfield design.

Cabinet Art -- Taking consideration the era of the theme I am thinking of trying a painting/stenciling approach vs. decals. I was halfway decent in art/drawing back in the day and will give a try to come up with a design. Initial thoughts are Jake and Elwood on the sides of the upper cabinet (one to each side) and the Bluesmobile with Jake and Elwood in it for the main lower cabinet with "The Blues Brothers" in the font from the movie title and probably "On a Mission from God" incorporated somewhere. If I no longer have the drawing touch I can always fall back on my graphics friend to bail me out.

One challenge I do not yet know how to address is the digital readout. Ideally I'd like to change the Rollergames specific wording to something more fitting to the new theme. A couple posts in the archives touch lightly on how it could be done and if I recall correctly I cannot add letters, only change the current ones in the current spaces. Reprograming the ROMS is something I would need help with -- if anyone out there has any leads or ideas on how to farm it out Id be grateful for the information.

All words and no pictures is not fun, but sometimes planning takes time. I hope to have more visual ideas and progress for the next update.

#41 5 years ago

You may want to do what I did, which is lay your artwork down virtually (to rough it in and see how you like how it looks), then do it for real in high resolution
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Van_Halen

2 weeks later
    #42 5 years ago

I was just thinking how cool to see a blues brothers pinball and looked on the web and found this page. Let's make this happen!

IMG_2632 (resized).JPGIMG_2632 (resized).JPG

#43 5 years ago

I actually have the 1:18 Bluesmobile -- Thought it might make a nice topper someday, a little on the small side though and I know people can get touchy when it comes to toppers.

IMG_7777 (resized).JPGIMG_7777 (resized).JPG

I was using it more as a reference to draw the cabinet art.

#44 5 years ago

i just realized how ironic it is that youre using a roller games as the base:

#45 5 years ago

Yeah,
    I thought worst case scenario the "Roller - Motion" text would have some relevance. . .

3 years later
    #46 1 year ago

Count me in!

Have you seen this homebrew? They discuss many resources available now to help with graphics and fabrication. You could use the same shop they hired for their Billy Madison.

https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop/

5 months later
    #47 1 year ago

What are the chances of seeing this theme from Stern, Spooky or JJ?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

What are the chances of seeing this theme from Stern, Spooky or JJ?

Jersey Jack will make a Blues Brothers 2000 game.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Jersey Jack will make a Blues Brothers 2000 game.

Ugh! I like John Goodman but that movie was an abomination. The Blues Brothers died with Belushi and Akroyd should let it Rest In Peace.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Ugh! I like John Goodman but that movie was an abomination. The Blues Brothers died with Belushi and Akroyd should let it Rest In Peace.

It was an "attempt" to recapture the magic showcasing the current blues performers but yea.. it had little magic, everything felt like a rehash. I'm a huge fan and even I had a hard time making through it once.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blues-brothers-re-theme?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.