9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02046.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have Blue Max I just got working a while back, and played it a few times and probably would have played it more except I can't stand the noises it makes no bells,no chimes,no nothing, just some noise that sounds similar to :remember when asteroids first came out and the space ship that shot at you made that noise well that's pretty close to what my Blue Max sounds like did they really use that kind of audio in this game, on the schematics it says chimes.Just was curious
Thanks Kev.

#2 9 years ago

there isnt any chimes in the head shown in the pdb pic. are there any jacks or cut wires on the mech board that dont go to anything?

#3 9 years ago

other cc pdb pics show a chime unit to the right of the cashbox. the same where gottlieb and williams has theirs.

#4 9 years ago

There was an electronic sound module available in the late seventies. Operators could subsitute one for the chime box to 'modernize' a game. They made the sort of sound you describe. I can't remember the make, I'm sure somebody here does. Anyway, have a look to see if there is some kind of electonic module in the front left area of the cabinet.

#5 9 years ago

After looking again there was some spliced wires so you are probably right about the "mod-job".I see the 3 wires that I suppose were for the chimes it looks like they used those to heat up two relays that then went to the sound board or whatever that god awful noise maker is.

#6 9 years ago

"Bleep, bloop, blip". Yeeech!

1 week later
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

There was an electronic sound module available in the late seventies. Operators could subsitute one for the chime box to 'modernize' a game. They made the sort of sound you describe. I can't remember the make, I'm sure somebody here does. ...

It was Wico. There's a complete NOS kit floating around on flebay if anyone's interested.

Chi Coin used a plain old ordinary NuTone doorbell for chimes. 10 points used the single 'ding' (back door) and 100 pointers got the front door 'dingdong'. A nearly identical replacement may be found at the home store with the 'Heath/Zenith' brand ~ $11 or so.

Someone disconnected this one by ripping out the terminal strip. I used the coil block and chime bar grommets from the Heath doorbell to rebuild the original.

DSC02046.jpgDSC02046.jpg

Three wires is all they had - common, front door, back door.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blue-max-chimes-or-are-they and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.