Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Blue Max that I acquired for $75. I kludge repaired a bakelite card on one of the reset relays, and it seems to work now. The score reels were continuously running, so I rebuilt a few of the sticky score motors, and now they all go. I still was getting a continuous cycle though, so I hooked up a multi-meter to the "zero-position" circuit, and was able to manually align all the score reels so they zeroed out, and the game popped out a ball.

I need some advice in the score motor rebuild arena. I already dropped one, and cracked the score drum. Fixed with Super glue. Now I am VERY careful with the parts. For some reason though, after I've cleaned and polished the mechanisms, they work almost too well. When they advance to the next digit they don't always stop! They'll be advanced a little further forward, sometimes enough so they don't line up on the zero switch! Advice on what I'm doing wrong with the score motors? I've found if you tighten the thing too tightly the whole thing locks up and you get nothing!

Thanks for your advice!!

-Brian D. Prenovost
Best Data & Pinball

#2 7 years ago

Welcome to the world of Chicago Coin. Score reel problems will haunt these games forever.

#3 7 years ago

I have a couple of these games in Dolphin and Riviera. If you are going to keep the game you should try to obtain some extra parts like score reels and relay assemblies. Usually these can be had on ebay or on here. Are all of your reels that way or just a couple? One thing I have learned on mine is fix it where the score reels are 90 percent and be satisfied with it. They will have some alignment issues from time to time but that isn't a big deal.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from rstrunks:

I have a couple of these games in Dolphin and Riviera. If you are going to keep the game you should try to obtain some extra parts like score reels and relay assemblies. Usually these can be had on ebay or on here. Are all of your reels that way or just a couple? One thing I have learned on mine is fix it where the score reels are 90 percent and be satisfied with it. They will have some alignment issues from time to time but that isn't a big deal.

Keep in mind that Blue Max used the newer score reel mech that are smaller and different than what you have on Dolphin and Riviera. The reels themselves have the same font that Bally used for their EM's for many years. The mechanism was completely different from Bally mechs though.

#5 7 years ago

Interesting you should mention how problematic these things are. Someone I know has a bunch of gun games that originally had the Herb Silvers' treatment. Very shiny. The score reels however were a different story. The same sort of issues that I'm having on Blue Max, Digits not aligning properly, and whatnot. Those score reels are at the same time VERY delicate, and also just hard to get adjusted properly. The reels on the Blue Max seemed to be the same as on the Shooting games, but I didn't have any luck adjusting those either.
-Brian

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 3.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blue-max-chicago-coin-score-drum-issues-alignment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.