Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron2.jpg
TRON1.jpg
1012399_655054984523494_2006163121_n.jpg
1002281_654292497933076_754247323_n.jpg
SIGMA_Comparison.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I would like to get a blue dmd for my tron Le. I know there are multiple options. Can you guys help point me in the right direction?

#2 10 years ago

Two choices currently...

Vishay through Pinball Life at $350.
XPin through many distributors $329.

I have ready to plug-n-play XPin available if that's how you want to go, email me.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 10 years ago

I have the Stern one, it looks really good, but is more expensive than other options.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6811-00

#4 10 years ago

I got a blue one from Xpin I was happy with it, had one dot out but it was fixed really quick.

Got a Vishray from mouser it was junk - poorly alined and an entire column was lit. However, Terry (from pinball life) says they personally checks them prior to sending them so that should negate that fact.

I have had a ton of problems with Stern Displays, and could not imagine spending that kind of money on a product I don't believe in.

So I would say x-pin.. however last I checked a long time ago... the X-pins did not work in LED displays they still need the high current so depends on what run you have it might not even work. leaving you with stern or visray... and then I would say in Terry I trust...

Lastly I personally am going to hold for the Color DMD option as I thought it looked kick ass in my TAF, even if its on a single color no grid lines... and yeah even in tron the grid is bad..

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Got a Vishray from mouser it was junk - poorly alined and an entire column was lit. However, Terry (from pinball life) says they personally checks them prior to sending them so that should negate that fact.

I noticed a small amount of poor alignment on mine as well but I just mentally ignored it and now it doesnt bother me anymore. It only shows up on certain animations so not a deal breaker IMHO.

#6 10 years ago

Got the Stern one installed
Looks great and no issues

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

So I would stay x-pin.. however last I checked a long time ago... the X-pins did not work in LED displays they still need the high current so depends on what run you have it might not even work...

Two versions now of the XPin blue DMD:

HV (uses games original plasma 65V), and...
LV (low voltage for the Stern games that originally came with red LED DMDs).

Also something to note, PBL has a NO return policy on the LED DMDs. XPin has a great warranty and service, especially if gotten through me. I don't know about Marco, as I didn't know they started selling them.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#8 10 years ago

For me, it comes down to grid alignment. I'll pay extra if need be for proper alignment. Which of the three options (Vishay, Xpin, Stern) has the best and most consistent alignment?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

For me, it comes down to grid alignment. I'll pay extra if need be for proper alignment. Which of the three options (Vishay, Xpin, Stern) has the best and most consistent alignment?

Really I think they're all about equal right now. XPin definitely had some issues early on with alignment, but that's supposed to be resolved now. I've heard reports of Vishay having bad alignment, but most I've seen have looked pretty good. I've not seen the blue Marco(Stern?), but I think their red is almost indistinguishable from plasma displays.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#10 10 years ago

I have a green x-pin in my CFTBL and have been happy with it. You could also consider a color dmd which can be set to any number of colors.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Really I think they're all about equal right now.

Excellent. This is good to hear.

#12 10 years ago

We have the Stern Blue Displays instock $380 Shipped

#13 10 years ago

Looks like I will probably going stern. Unless the color dmd will be done for sterns in the near future. Does anyone have any info if that will be happening or is that something in the far distance?

#14 10 years ago

Anyone recommend a good blue dmd for TOTAN?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Looks like I will probably going stern. Unless the color dmd will be done for sterns in the near future. Does anyone have any info if that will be happening or is that something in the far distance?

The guys at Color DMD are rather upfront on stuff, I would suggest asking them directly (and let us know). Looks based on their FB page it in the future but how long in the future is very hard to say... Also I wonder if they have a way to make it work with on the newer ones with out the HV section.

#16 10 years ago

I would buy a Sigma colour DMD. Same price as the rest. It can be blue or any other colour if you want to put it in another game one day, and best of all you can upscale the DMD to HD. So you can play Tron in blue HD......WOW. That's what I would buy.

#17 10 years ago

It works for Sterns. There is a thread on here where someone put one in their LOTR and changed the colour and upscaled the image to HD.

SIGMA_Comparison.jpgSIGMA_Comparison.jpg 1002281_654292497933076_754247323_n.jpg1002281_654292497933076_754247323_n.jpg 1012399_655054984523494_2006163121_n.jpg1012399_655054984523494_2006163121_n.jpg

#18 10 years ago

I have a color DMD in my AFM. Maybe I can put in the tron to see if I like it. I don't know how tough these to do. I emailed color DMD hopefully they will give me some info and I will pass it along.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I have a color DMD in my AFM. Maybe I can put in the tron to see if I like it. I don't know how tough these to do. I emailed color DMD hopefully they will give me some info and I will pass it along.

That's a great idea. Post some pics of Tron in HD if you do it!

#20 10 years ago

If I read their FB page correctly - they have a proto color dmd for Stern games. They do have them in the brand new ones so tron will work... I would really hold off until you can get it, for the price of the Blue DMD's compared to the better look of the color dmd... The game has changed!

#21 10 years ago

That's an interesting concept.. (re: Tron color DMD). It'd probably look freaking fantastic.

Great, more things to spend money on..

#22 10 years ago

Here are some photos from our facebook page. You can also see more photos from LOTR, TSPP, Transformers, and Metallica. Transformers and Metallica were demonstrated at California Extreme last month.

The photos were taken with prototype firmware/hardware that will be released later this year. There are some minor hardware changes required for mounting/powering the display in Stern games but it all runs off 12V/5V so it doesn't matter if the game was built originally with a high-voltage plasma display or low-voltage LED.

Randy

TRON1.jpgTRON1.jpg Tron2.jpgTron2.jpg

#23 10 years ago

Oh snap, I want.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Here are some photos from our facebook page. You can also see more photos from LOTR, TSPP, Transformers, and Metallica. Transformers and Metallica were demonstrated at California Extreme last month.
The photos were taken with prototype firmware/hardware that will be released later this year. There are some minor hardware changes required for mounting/powering the display in Stern games but it all runs off 12V/5V so it doesn't matter if the game was built originally with a high-voltage plasma display or low-voltage LED.
Randy

Cool and no stupid big black spaces between the dots like the Sterns from having a bunch of little boards pasted together unevenly. I would never buy a Stern one!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Cool and no stupid big black spaces between the dots like the Sterns from having a bunch of little boards pasted together unevenly. I would never buy a Stern one!

Pick your poison. The LED displays have better contrast (complete black) compared to the LCD displays.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Pick your poison. The LED displays have better contrast (complete black) compared to the LCD displays.

The colour DMD's are LCD? I never knew that.

#27 10 years ago

Yes they are lcd's but lack true black. But it would be my choice hands down

#28 10 years ago

I have the xpin display and it is nice, but will most likely replace it with the color LCD when available.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

What about SM!!

#30 10 years ago

Didn't take any pics but it works in that too... We tried it. As far as I can tell, it should work for any Whitestar or SAM game.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Yes they are lcd's but lack true black.

Honestly, I play in complete darkness and the Sigma Color DMD in my SS has been nothing but perfect/amazing. If I had the extra $$$ lying around, they would be in every single (compatible) DMD machine I own, including TRON.
The Sigma system with it's multiple display/color options is a "no-brainer" upgrade over the LED.

Go for it Jorge!

3 months later
#32 10 years ago

When will the Sigma version of Colour DMD be available for Stern machines?

#33 10 years ago

see my thread.....

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

When will the Sigma version of Colour DMD be available for Stern machines?

It is technically available now with a few gotchas:
You have to build your own power cable. ColorDMD will be selling these soon, though.
You have to do a little custom work to mount it. ColorDMD will be selling brackets soon.
The displays are out of stock.

Here's a thread showing the one I installed in my Tron.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-colordmd-installation-in-stern-sam-tron

#35 10 years ago

If they release full color roms this will be a slam dunk. I like the sigma, but not enough to spend the dough for single color display.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blue-dmd-for-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.