(Topic ID: 53482)

(Blue) Diamond in the rough: Found a Pink Panther project!

By TheShameGovernor

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HighNoon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010002.JPG
Lucky.jpg
IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So cool!- Found a Gottlieb Pink Panther this week in decent player’s condition. Never seen or played one before, but after putting a couple games on it, I knew I had to bring it home.

The Good:
-Works 100%. All switches, solenoids, lights, displays, sounds, and scoring appear to be in good shape.
-Not only does it work, it’s really fun. Simple rules, but the multiball-only diamond scoring is a really cool idea that I could see being a blast with multiplayer games. I also love any early multiball tables where you can steal captive balls from another player. I'll review it once the honeymoon phase is over.
-No raised or cupped inserts. No planking. No broken plastics. 2 drop targets are broken, but not only do they still register and drop, there was a complete new set in the cabinet.
-I love the art package. Great use of color in the BG and the playfield, and a ton of detail in the nighttime city background. I’m a sucker for hand-drawn comic style art though, so YMMV.

The Bad:
-Playfield is starting to wear in a number of spots. At a minimum I can stop the damage here, and touchups shouldn’t be a huge issue, but still..
-From what I’ve researched, these backglasses practically came off the line flaking, and mine is no exception. There have been some touchups from a previous owner that aren’t terrible, but it’s not going to win any prizes anytime soon.

The Ugly:
-System 80 with original boards. Just a matter of time before the tears start…. Probably just start saving for the Pascal board now.

Overall I’m really happy with it. I look forward to cleaning it up and making it shine, and it’s just screaming for blue and pink cointaker LEDs in the inserts. I’ll probably always have a System 1 or 80 in the lineup, and first impressions make me think this one might be here a while. There’s just nothing more satisfying than the thick sound of a Gottlieb drop target from that era.

IMG_2468.jpgIMG_2468.jpg IMG_2469.jpgIMG_2469.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Couple more. Poor quality cell pics - sorry

IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2470.JPG IMG_2471.JPGIMG_2471.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Pretty nice...congrats!
Don't fret about S80 boards. Once given the attention they need in the form of ground mods, they are just like Gottlieb mechs, rock solid.

Wish I had a PPmin the collection. Really fun game.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#4 10 years ago

I had a chance to buy one two years ago for $500 and passed. Still kicking my own a*s!!! Congrats! Rare pin, have fun!~SpOoKy

#5 10 years ago

Nice find! A rare pin in the U.S. Did you get muiltball on it yet? I remember playing it a long time ago and thinking the strategy for multiball was pretty slick....but it's been so long I can't remember why I thought that.

#6 10 years ago

There is nothing wrong with the original board set on Gottlieb system 80 machines if there isn't corrosion. Don't fret because of possible future trouble -- put in the recommended ground additions, change the orange cap in the bottom of the cabinet, get rid of the on-board ni-cad and you will have a solid, reliable operating game. The displays will work way way longer than the Bally/Williams displays of the same era.

The "Hib" is correct. Do the stuff to make it solid. By the way, your back glass looks considerable better than most.

#7 10 years ago

Flash Gordon and Whitewater?! Nice! I like the look of that Pink Panther too!

#8 10 years ago

Congrats! Looks great.

Never played the game but hope to, one day.

Nice variety of gameplay in your collection.

Looking forward to your review.

#9 10 years ago

Thats one you dont see many parts 4 sale for , i have never seen one till now good luck

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Did you get muiltball on it yet? I remember playing it a long time ago and thinking the strategy for multiball was pretty slick

Multiball is pretty straightforward; completing the middle bank lights a captive area under the 'hidden staircase' and the left bank lights a captive area under the 'secret passage.' Once you plunge the third ball, the Pink Panther theme plays, and multiball starts. Only in multiball can you collect the diamonds scattered throughout the playfield (standups, left target bank, inlanes (when lit)). Beat the current diamond high score and win a special. I've got it once so far. Like all great tables- simple to grasp, hard to master.

Quoted from minnesota13:

There is nothing wrong with the original board set on Gottlieb system 80 machines if there isn't corrosion.

Yeah, I know. Early Gottlieb SS tables get a bad rep, but the few System 1s that I've had have all had the recommended fixes done, and all have been rock-solid.

Quoted from treibj:

Flash Gordon and Whitewater?! Nice!

Quoted from OTTOgd:

Nice variety of gameplay in your collection.

Thanks! I only have room for 4-5 tables, so I've tried really hard to find good pins from different manufactures/eras/play styles to make a well-rounded small collection that keeps everyones' interest. Last spot will definitely be saved for an EM. Looking at the current line-up, I apparently have an affinity for 3-flipper games..

#11 10 years ago

Nice score, looks like yours is complete except for the instruction card. The Pinball Resource still shows they have a set of cards left. No need to replace those circuit boards, they can be made into very reliable ones. Dial it in and have a blast.

#12 10 years ago

It still surprises me nobody was able to get enough people to commit to a backglass repro. I have only seen 1 Pink Panther in my life with a good backglass.

#13 10 years ago

Mine?

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

It still surprises me nobody was able to get enough people to commit to a backglass repro. I have only seen 1 Pink Panther in my life with a good backglass.

#14 10 years ago

Cool pin! Congrats!

--Luke

Lucky.jpgLucky.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blue-diamond-in-the-rough-found-a-pink-panther-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.