Stern F2k - q13 (resized).jpg
F2000 Headboard Electronics 4 (resized).jpg
F2000 Headboard Electronics 3 (resized).jpg
F2000 Headboard Electronics 2 (resized).jpg
F2000 Headboard Electronics 1 (resized).jpg
Pinball rectifier board (resized).jpg
Pinball Flight 2000 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

1st time posting, new owner of a Flight 2000 machine. Machine had some small problems, roll over contacts, ball launcher, but now have a blown fuse that has knocked out head lights, and will not restart a game. Left machine on over night, discovered problem and blown fuse, installed new fuse and it blew right away.
Pictured is the unit and board with the blown fuse, E3.
Looking for advice to solve this problem.
Thanks, absolutely love this machine.

Pinball Flight 2000 (resized).jpgPinball Flight 2000 (resized).jpgPinball rectifier board (resized).jpgPinball rectifier board (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Could you provide images of the circuit boards in the head?

I'm just curious if there is "battery damage" https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#The_Single_Largest_Culprit_in_MPU_death

also if you have original or replacement boards

There are some troubleshooting steps to isolate where that short may be coming from if not from battery corrosion ( I don't have them at the top of MY head but other Pinside members do )

#3 3 years ago

I think you're talking about fuse F4. That's 43 volts DC for the solenoids. you may have a stuck on solenoid or a short in the solenoid wiring.
Remove connector J1. If the the short goes away look for a problem on the playfield.

#4 3 years ago

Here are some pics behind the head board.
Thanks for any and all help with the blown F4 fuse.

F2000 Headboard Electronics 1 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 1 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 2 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 2 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 3 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 3 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 4 (resized).jpgF2000 Headboard Electronics 4 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

The boards visually look good , battery had been removed from MPU with "NVRAM" installed

New capacitors on SDB and some voltage regulator upgrade seems to have been done

In the pic of the playfield I noticed 2 balls locked in the "ball-walker" (or ladder) area. Upon start up that is one of the first solenoids to fire (along with the coin reject solenoid on the coin door)

With power off,First visually inspect those 2 to see if they are burned , you should be able to manually actuate the "ball walker" solenoid to release the balls

If you have a multi-meter it's be best to test for a resistance on those coils. you can manually actuate all the others as well.

#6 3 years ago

Chas10e - Thanks for the continued help. The ball walker stopped working, they used to fire the balls upon starting a new game. Also thanks for the visual inspection of the boards, I know little about the boards or what has been done to them. I will check out the solenoids in the ladder and coin reject.

Again, great catch, the loud resetting noise from the ladder and coin reject is not present. I have downloaded the schematics, I know a little about them, will try to diagnosis as you suggested.

#7 3 years ago

F3 is the +12v fuse that the +5v is derived from. Pull the 25 pin connector on the right side of the solenoid driver board, replace the fuse, turn the power on and see if it blows. If it does, you have a fault in your rectifier board. If it doesn't, you have to move on to the other boards, the normal sequence is to disconnect all the boards, and with only J3 and J2 connected to the rectifier board, turn on the game, test all the voltages on the rectifier board. If good, move on to connecting up only the solenoid driver board (which is also part of the power supply, generating the regulated voltages). Test there. If good, add the mpu board. Then the lamp driver board. Then the sound boards.

Looks like Larry Ricky did a lot of work on the boards in that game. Interestingly it's a Bally-35 mpu board there with the Weebly update to make it act like an mpu200, but I doubt that's related.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Interestingly it's a Bally-35 mpu board there with the Weebly update to make it act like an mpu200

Might want to check that the clock circuitry has been updated to MPU-200 spec.

#9 3 years ago

nice catch by oldschoolbob

Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I think you're talking about fuse F4. That's 43 volts DC for the solenoids. you may have a stuck on solenoid or a short in the solenoid wiring.
Remove connector J1. If the the short goes away look for a problem on the playfield.

The rectifier board image does show fuse "F4" being blown , the confusion is the "e3 test point"

On the SDB it's tough to see if the components surrounding "q13" are ok , also on the schematics it's tough to distinguish the difference between the associated "Ball launcher" and the "ball kicker"

There are times if either the coil or a board component fails that drives the coil it takes them both out.

It's great to have both slochar & Quench on this thread & their diagnostics by removing connectors will help quickly resolve the culprit.

Stern F2k - q13 (resized).jpgStern F2k - q13 (resized).jpgStern F2k ball launcher - kicker (resized).jpgStern F2k ball launcher - kicker (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10 3 years ago

Blown Fuse F4 problem solved.

I had a pop bumper coil go out, and also the Q13 transistor.
Thanks to all who posted the help, much appreciated.
Flight 2000 is 100% and is a blast to play.

Big shout out to - @chas10e, @oldschoolbob, @slochar, and @Quench,

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blown-fuse-flight-2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.