Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-881.jpg
image.jpg
20141222_004714.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Okay, Lost World is pissing me off. Left flipper, works great. Right flipper, not so much.
Sparks at flipper switch when I tap it, blows f4 on the rectifier board.
Rectifier board is a new rottendog board. Machine had this same problem before I replaced that board.
help!

#2 9 years ago

Swapped out solenoid driver board, same thing, disconnected the brown double wires on right coil that go to the fuse under the PF , no sparks at flipper switch.

#3 9 years ago

Fuckityfuckfuck
Someone solve this mystery in the next hour, receive items of amazing swag from me in the mail!

#4 9 years ago

Something wired incorrectly , or something shorting it out making contact with it (another wire , glob of solder, maybe a screw that fell ) .Seems as though your problem is in your playfield somewhere .

#5 9 years ago

Does it blow right away ? or do you get a couple flips then it blows ?

#6 9 years ago

It doesn't really flip, just kinda shorts out a couple times then blows the fuse

#7 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
#8 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
#9 9 years ago

Bad coil? diode?
Swap with left one and see if problem follows.

#10 9 years ago

Looks like a new coil in there . Did this problem start when that coil was put in ?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Looks like a new coil in there . Did this problem start when that coil was put in ?

Back off trilogybeer! You trying to move in on my amazing swag?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Back off trilogybeer! You trying to move in on my amazing swag?

Sorry , I think we are too late for the swag anyways . OH well , coil looks like the correct coil and appears to wired correctly . Maybe no diodes on the coil ?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yes, its a new coil.

#14 9 years ago

Swag offer still stands! I'll even add to the pile.
Here is where we are:
Coil seems okay, has same resistance as the working side.
Leaf switch at flipper button is suspect, I have a game I can pull leaf off for testing.

#15 9 years ago

Threw a different coil in, robbed a leaf switch off a different game, no change. Big spark at leaf switch, wants to blow fuse

#16 9 years ago

When you manually move the flipper all the way forward, how much gap is there on your EOS switch?

#17 9 years ago

It's a new end of stroke switch, when I move the flipper all the way in there is a noticable gap, a few thousandths maybe? A business cards thick

#18 9 years ago

It needs to open 1/8" !

#19 9 years ago

Okay, I can bend the switch so it opens 1/8th, but the coil still doesn't Fire.

#20 9 years ago

How many volts do you have at the coil?

#21 9 years ago

43 volts at coil

#22 9 years ago

Give us a clear rundown of exactly what is going on, because I can't follow.

The cab switch sparks, or the EOS switch?

The flipper tries to flip ?

Fuse blows if you hold the button, or just press it a few times?

Diodes have been checked?

#23 9 years ago

Look at the pic of the left hand flipper coil that works. Looks like the wires going to his switch are coming from the center lug and the right hand lug of the coil.
Now look at the problem coil on the right.
Wires going to the switch come from the center lug and Left hand lug ( versus right on the coil that works). I don't have a game of this era to compare it to. But I'm guessing that coil is wired incorrectly.

#24 9 years ago

Look at the pic of the left hand flipper coil that works. Looks like the wires going to his switch are coming from the center lug and the right hand lug of the coil.
Now look at the problem coil on the right.
Wires going to the switch come from the center lug and Left hand lug ( versus right on the coil that works). I don't have a game of this era to compare it to. But I'm guessing that coil is wired incorrectly.

Yes you are right , but it is the left side that is not correct it should be like the right .

#25 9 years ago

Here's a pic of my Lost World flipper coils .

20141222_004714.jpg20141222_004714.jpg
#27 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg image-881.jpgimage-881.jpg
#28 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Give us a clear rundown of exactly what is going on, because I can't follow.
The cab switch sparks, or the EOS switch?
The flipper tries to flip ?
Fuse blows if you hold the button, or just press it a few times?
Diodes have been checked?

OK, in your last set of pics, it appears that you have it wired correctly. It was hard to judge on your first set of pics. Answer vid1900' s questions above and maybe we could offer more advice.

#29 9 years ago

OK, in your last set of pics, it appears that you have it wired correctly. It was hard to judge on your first set of pics. Answer vid1900' s questions above and maybe we could offer more advice.

Yep wiring looks good now . What does the game do now ? I would hope that fuse protected your board from damage . That wiring may have been your only problem but could have caused more .

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yep wiring looks good now . What does the game do now ? I would hope that fuse protected your board from damage . That wiring may have been your only problem but could have caused more .

I think he had it wired right to begin with. I think it was an optical illusion caused by the poor quality of his original pics that made me think that one wire was attached to the wrong lug.
Either way, OP needs to give us the rest of the story here.

#31 9 years ago

I think he had it wired right to begin with. I think it was an optical illusion caused by the poor quality of his orgoingiginal pics that made me think that one wire was attached to the wrong lug.
Either way, OP needs to give us the rest of the story here.

Yeah you might be right , it may have been an illusion in that first pic. He did change a few wires on the new coil going to EOS basically reversing the way electricity would flow through it. It matches mine now but I don't think it matters which way it flows through the EOS no diode there it is on the coil.

#32 9 years ago

The switch at the flipper button in the cabinet sparks, not the end of stroke switch.
Flipper does not try to flip.
Fuse blows (f4)if you hold button in.
Swapped out coil for a new one, same thing is happening.
I will swap with the working side tonight to be sure.

#33 9 years ago

Make sure your cabinet ground braid is not contacting the flipper switch anywhere . Inspect the wiring coming from the coin door . Those get kinked and damaged and can cause some goofy problems.

#34 9 years ago

Will inspect tonight! Good advice!

#35 9 years ago

Did the game always have this issue since you've owned it?
If not, what sort of repairs/adjustments were you doing just previous to what is going on now?

#36 9 years ago

Right flipper had this issue when I bought the game.
I replaced the hacked up rectifier board after I got it, and have tested two different solenoid driver boards.

#37 9 years ago

Braid doesn't seem to be touching anything, didn't see any damaged wires at door

#38 9 years ago

I still think you have a bad coil or the diode is bad or installed backwards.
Have you swapped theft and right coils to see if the problem follows that coil?

#39 9 years ago

I will swap left and right tonigh

#40 9 years ago

Good then you'll know if it is good or not, good to eliminate possible causes puts you closer to a solution. I still think your problem is in the wiring somewhere , wish I could see the game in person I could probably be of more help then.

#41 9 years ago

Bingo!
Swapped coils right for left, the problem followed that coil. Apparently both coils I tried in that side were bad somehow, including the new one.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Brich:

Bingo!
Swapped coils right for left, the problem followed that coil. Apparently both coils I tried in that side were bad somehow, including the new one.

Excallent news!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Brich:

Bingo!

Bad coil? diode?
Swap with left one and see if problem follows.

If you would have just listened to me a week and a half ago...
Seriously, glad it's fixed!
I'll be standing by my mailbox waiting for my swag.

#44 9 years ago

I was listening! Just had to ignore it for a few days!
Thanks again for the help, I think what hung me up was the fact that both coils I had didn't work that was throwing me off.
Solder splash for the win, pm me your address!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blowing-the-lost-worldfuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.