• Latest reply 2 years ago by semicolin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Xenon Board HiDEF new coils (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

OK, so I am in the process of restoring a Xenon machine. All original solenoids were functioning accept one thumper bumper coil. the game would blow the F4 and the PF fuses. I took it out of the loop and the game would play with no fuses blowing. I since then replaced all solenoids, and have the same fuse issue. when I do a ohms test, all but two thumper bumper coils read out at .010. the two other coils (thumper bumpers) read out at .000. All coils have the power to the band side of the diode. All coils beep on the continuity test. All boards on this game are new.

Xenon Board HiDEF new coils (resized).JPGXenon Board HiDEF new coils (resized).JPG
#2 2 years ago

Check your coil diode orientation. If you had/have your coils connected in reverse polarity, that can cause your fuse to blow as the diode creates a dead short. It can also damage the diode.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Check your coil diode orientation. If you had/have your coils connected in reverse polarity, that can cause your fuse to blow as the diode creates a dead short. It can also damage the diode.

Forgive me for being such a newbie, but in any circumstance, are any of the coils ever wired opposite; meaning negative in the diode band side? this game had one like that but I thought that maybe someone just installed it wrong (It wasn't an original coil). Since then I checked all coils and the all have power to the positive side, band side of the diode.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from psfmuzik:

Forgive me for being such a newbie, but in any circumstance, are any of the coils ever wired opposite; meaning negative in the diode band side? this game had one like that but I thought that maybe someone just installed it wrong (It wasn't an original coil). Since then I checked all coils and the all have power to the positive side, band side of the diode.

what coil was replaced? From the pic it looks like every coil was replaced.... Xenon has really good schematics available and will make it easy to confirm. I have mine out at the moment. What coil are you asking about?

Edit: I reread your opening post and saw that they were all replaced, sorry

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

what coil was replaced? From the pic it looks like every coil was replaced.... Xenon has really good schematics available and will make it easy to confirm. I have mine out at the moment. What coil are you asking about?
Edit: I reread your opening post and saw that they were all replaced, sorry

So with further exploration, I have one bumper that is open when power is turned on. I shut it off quick. If I bypass that bumper, I can run the solenoid test, and they all function with the exception of coarse...
I checked the switch, open good, the cap ok the diode ok so either its a dead short somewhere or the Rotten dog board...its my best guess at this point.

#6 2 years ago

OK, moving towards the Solenoid board (Rottendog), two of the FET's are toast. bingo. then after further examination, someone had already replaced one and scratched up some of the tracers on the board pretty bad. and without mind you, realizing that one of the solenoids was wired incorrectly...so of coarse, it blew again. Gonna go with an AlltekSystems Solenoid board and make sure the solenoids are not wired up in reverse...end of rant.

#7 2 years ago

The Rottendog board can probably be repaired without much difficulty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blowing-f4-solenoid-and-pf-fuses-at-turn-on-xenon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.