Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Blow up Nativity Scene Poll”

• Quite respectable and sincere 8 votes
      13%
    • Tacky & Tasteless 52 votes
      83%
    • I’d buy anything that blows up and is on sale at a big box store. Woo Hoo! 3 votes
      5%

(63 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DSCF7498 (resized).JPG
    71A1D56E-0719-4452-8D51-2BA38A326792 (resized).jpeg
    vintage-artistic-latex-baby-jesus_1_d9025235792b9affeb1757b635a92214 (resized).jpg
    zom (resized).png
    20190722_125114 (resized).jpg
    20200717_150434 (resized).jpg
    20201121_133927 (resized).jpg
    06CFCA2F-E841-4210-8256-153C9B442246 (resized).jpeg
    30D840D3-4DB7-4389-8919-E283CD61B04F (resized).jpeg
    38175B2C-C495-4EAD-8BC2-9A7400C2D90D (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Blow up Nativity on the lawn. Respectable and revered or tacky and tasteless?

#2 3 years ago

I don't like inflatables at all, regardless

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I don't like inflatables at all, regardless

+1

#4 3 years ago

Not sure how classy the blow up ones are, but I was quite proud of my dinotivity set we put up each year.

30D840D3-4DB7-4389-8919-E283CD61B04F (resized).jpeg30D840D3-4DB7-4389-8919-E283CD61B04F (resized).jpeg
    38175B2C-C495-4EAD-8BC2-9A7400C2D90D (resized).jpeg38175B2C-C495-4EAD-8BC2-9A7400C2D90D (resized).jpeg

#5 3 years ago

Growing up we all got in the car a week before Christmas and went to Pilot Life Insurance, where a handmade life-size Nativity was set up. Cars lined up for a mile to see this display.
    Later it was donated to Greensboro College, who put it out front. Being so old and from Italy they hired a student to guard it. He went to sleep and this other guy came in with an axe and chopped all the figures up into little chunks, rendering it impossible to restore.
    At least the inflatable is replaceable, maybe repairable.

#6 3 years ago

Personally I really like this one.

06CFCA2F-E841-4210-8256-153C9B442246 (resized).jpeg06CFCA2F-E841-4210-8256-153C9B442246 (resized).jpeg
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

At least the inflatable is replaceable, maybe repairable.

Your local Adam & Eve shop has the kit to repair any inflatable

#8 3 years ago

Probably tacky and tastless. I think most inflatables are. However, I really appreciate people that put them in in their yard. We put them up now too. My young kids (4,6, and 9) absolutely love inflatables! I take my kids around a few times a week in the car this time of year to look for "Christmas Lights". They really liked it the most aged 2-5, but little kids absolutely love pointing these out. Double points if you put up anything Star Wars or Minion related. Nobody puts these things up because they like them... it's for kids... like arcade games... o, wait...

#9 3 years ago

OMG that Peanuts one is the most gloriously saccharine-subversive thing I've ever seen: it *completely* obliterates the entire message that special tried in vain to reinforce, oops!

I thought inflatables were tacky and resisted for years until I saw a Big Mouth Billy Bass wearing a Santa hat a few years back and... just had to have one, I couldn't explain why let alone justify it. But I got one. And my kids - now teens - would probably rather skip the tree than not put out the fish. Ha!

Couple years later I saw a "Fish Taco Truck" and my inner masochistic humorist had to have it... to put next to poor ol' Billy of course...

20201121_133927 (resized).jpg20201121_133927 (resized).jpg

And for all my former reservations, the affection our neighbors have is indeed genuine. When the dear 90+yo lady across the street passed away, her son made sure to tell us how much she enjoyed that stupid fish day after day each season. We've seen cars come to stop and people get out and take photos. Joy is good! I'm glad my warped humor and tacky lawn can brighten someone's day. If someone else doesn't like it they can pass on by.

Bonus about inflatables that I didn't appreciate until owning one, is they're way easier to store than old-school rigid plastic decorations. Much as I've come to hate stockpiling crap, I really dig that.

#10 3 years ago

Ford Aerostar! Kickin' it old-school!

#11 3 years ago

My wife buys/sells the hard plastic ones we all had as kids, we have over 300 of them and travel all over the place to get them. I was cleaning out the garage last year and someone stopped thinking we were having a yard sale.
    P.S. a real nativity scene....

20200717_150434 (resized).jpg20200717_150434 (resized).jpg20190722_125114 (resized).jpg20190722_125114 (resized).jpg
    #12 3 years ago

Should have put an option for "Better than nothing"

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My wife buys/sells the hard plastic ones we all had as kids, we have over 300 of them and travel all over the place to get them. I was cleaning out the garage last year and someone stopped thinking we were having a yard sale.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I don't know much about them, but I've seen certain ones fetch quite a bit. My issue would be the space they take up. No cramming them in a plastic tote.

Quoted from undrdog:

Blow up Nativity on the lawn. Respectable and revered or tacky and tasteless?

I'm a lawn care nut and can't bring myself to put anything out on the lawn long term. I don't feel like fixing the damage in the Spring.

#14 3 years ago

Inflatables tacky? Maybe in certain circles? If it brings you joy and isn't hurting anyone I say go for it.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

P.S. a real nativity scene....
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I have a friend that has around 1000 of these blowmolds. My wife has her fair share too but mostly collects earlier Christmas stuff (1920s-1960s). If you think pinball collectors are enthusiastic about our hobby you should see the Christmas people. They can be as hardcore and obsessive as they come. Passion is a good thing though in my book.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Inflatables tacky? Maybe in certain circles? If it brings you joy and isn't hurting anyone I say go for it.

I have a friend that has around 1000 of these blowmolds. My wife has her fair share too but mostly collects earlier Christmas stuff (1920s-1960s). If you think pinball collectors are enthusiastic about our hobby you should see the Christmas people. They can be as hardcore and obsessive as they come. Passion is a good thing though in my book.

You don't have to tell me. I married one of those Christmas people. The 27th of November is officially Christmas season in my house. I pulled 20+ totes and 2 Christmas trees out of the attic this year.... that wasn't even all of it.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Inflatables tacky?

Inflatables in general? No.

Inflatable versions of serious religious icons? That’s the question. 82% say Tacky & Tasteless .

Love the Big Billy Bass! Does it sing?

#17 3 years ago

I prefer my nativity scenes non-inflatable, and accurate. Zombie wise men for (eventual) zombie Jesus. He does (eventually) come back from the dead, right?

zom (resized).pngzom (resized).png
    #18 3 years ago

Yeah if it's made with Zombies, or somehow overtly sexual I'd think it's pretty cool.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Inflatables in general? No.
    Inflatable versions of serious religious icons? That’s the question. 82% say Tacky & Tasteless .

Well, I didn't vote but my other option was "Quite respectable and sincere." Not sure that's a best choice either. It's kind of subjective. My friend has a vintage Nativity set made by a company called Artistic Latex. It presents itself in a classier manner than an inflatable but if you think about it's still a baby Jesus made of rubber.

vintage-artistic-latex-baby-jesus_1_d9025235792b9affeb1757b635a92214 (resized).jpgvintage-artistic-latex-baby-jesus_1_d9025235792b9affeb1757b635a92214 (resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago

My main issue with them is the fact that during the day your house looks like it suffered a near miss by a tornado.

That or a Christmas crime scene...

71A1D56E-0719-4452-8D51-2BA38A326792 (resized).jpeg71A1D56E-0719-4452-8D51-2BA38A326792 (resized).jpeg
    #21 3 years ago

No problem here with the Blow up Nativity Scenes. Just got my blow mold set out today. Bought the 3 main pieces used and built the manger about 8 years ago. Collected the other pieces for the next few years. That is where that hobby ends for me, but I do like to set it up most every year.

DSCF7498 (resized).JPGDSCF7498 (resized).JPG
    #22 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

P.S. a real nativity scene....[quoted image][quoted image]

I assume this is her payback for letting you fill your basement with pins (which I have seen)!

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

Ford Aerostar! Kickin' it old-school!

Yessir! Tho sadly, the legendary, beloved-by-all "Aerobarge" is finally showing its age and nearing retirement after 27 hard but stubbornly steadfast years. I bought it as a death row refugee for $263 in 2012... and drove it every day 'til spring 2019. Not kidding about the legends either; among pin-relatable ones would be re-enacting the Whirlwind backglass (both into ditch AND back out... if sans tornado, sadly). Hauled more stuff and pins than you could believe. I'm torn between giving it a Bluesmobile-style viking funeral or a rural backlot retirement, and have no idea what to replace it with (I mean the Aerostar was far from perfect but for its good parts, modern minivans just... suck).

Quoted from undrdog:

It sings AND moves its head! Well, used to move its head until the plastic ring gear in the mechanism inevitably cracked its teeth And the voice box sings the most cringe version of "I Will Survive" you've ever heard (granted, it was obviously meant to be terrible ha ha) so I muted it because I don't want my neighbors to hate us. If I could fix the ring gear I'd put a cheap bluetooth speaker in there and have him sing something more... metal...

#24 3 years ago

Oh, it can get out of hand.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #25 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

It sings AND moves its head!

I think the original song for Big Billy Bass is Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blow-up-nativity-scene-poll?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.