Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

t2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5166 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpg
    What is your name? (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

Just leaving the emergency room after cutting my arm with a box cutter wrapping a game. Anybody else have any horror stories?

(The game is fine. I checked that first. Obviously!)

#2 6 years ago

Always cut away from your limbs.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Damn, I knew I forgot something!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not sure how to interpret your post? I was moving a -pinball- game.

I got a sports injury by squirting ketchup into my eye at a baseball game.

#7 6 years ago

I drilled a hole in my finger trying to drill out a rivet on a plastic during my pirates restore a month ago... the drill would have gone straight through my finger... but it hit the knuckle

#8 6 years ago

You guys all need to put down the tools and step back away from those machines...just sayin'

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You guys all need to put down the tools and step back away from those machines...just sayin'

Yep, I've been saying that for 30 years working on cars and bikes.. lol

#10 6 years ago

What is your name? (resized).pngWhat is your name? (resized).png

#11 6 years ago

Working on cars most of my life I've had more gashes and stitches than I can count.

Nothing like the time I was around six or seven and decided to climb a rope in the garage, and the block and tackle bent the nail it was hanging from . That heavy hook went right into my forehead on the way down. Blood everywhere.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Working on cars most of my life I've had more gashes and stitches than I can count.
    Nothing like the time I was around six or seven and decided to climb a rope in the garage, and the block and tackle bent the nail it was hanging from . That heavy hook went right into my forehead on the way down. Blood everywhere.

Yeow...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That heavy hook went right into my forehead on the way down.

That explains a lot. j/k

I've had my share of stitches, but never pinball related. Worst usually is some scrapes on the back of the hand or knuckles.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That explains a lot.

"I'm a preteen lobotomy" lol.

I don't remember it hurting as much as all the blood. A few stitches across my forehead and good as new.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was installing a power steering gearbox on my '67 Impala. Had to get underneath the car to insert the long bolts thru it & into the frame, turned to find the ratchet, and when I turned back it was falling straight at my head, which was resting on the cement floor. Caught between hammer & anvil. How that heavy s.o.b. didn't crack my skull wide open or put an eye out with the various metal parts sticking out of it, I have no idea.

Having a propped-up playfield come down on my head is as close as I've come pinball-wise. Damn those pop bumper coil brackets are sharp.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was taught to cut towards your friends...

#17 6 years ago

Nothing a paper towel and duct tape won't fix.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Nothing a paper towel and duct tape won't fix.

Well that's exactly what I did this morning

#19 6 years ago

There are many examples, but most are minor as a restorer will roll with the punches based on things that absolutely cannot avoided, such as shocks with games you discover are not properly grounded, even after conducting dead (meaning fully unplugged) and live testing. Burns with solder irons are generally a one time mistake, as you remember the blisters, wherever they are. Try not to put your iron at crotch level, unless you like surprises and burned pants, as I have seen that quite a few times. That is why good solder stations have holders that are part of their design.

Here are couple of notable examples that could have been avoided.

Broken bones, not my own...
    I watched one person break their arm while trying to improperly use my Escalera during the winch process, and another person at a different time break their foot using my WICO dolley by pinching. Both were caused by failure to follow usage instructions.

One of worst examples I have seen of personal injury was a person who shorted a large filter capacitor on a WMS System 7 game while conducting tech repair at a pinball show after dropping a nut driver, because he failed to let it properly discharge and the danger was not correctly understood, explosively ruptured, and he was blinded in one eye and received permanent scarring acid burns to multiple regions to the face.

#20 6 years ago

One time I had my Paragon pf up in the 45 degree position, right hand on the stainless steel rail leaned in to work on something and got shocked threw the temple by a coil (45 volts a/c) and out the hand...that was nice lol

#21 6 years ago

Here's a nice little burn I worked myself into in the kitchen at work.....NOTE: candied sweet potato syrup coming out of a 350 degree convection oven will melt the the skin right off your body. As I wiped away the hot syrup...bye bye top layer of skin

IMG_5166 (resized).JPGIMG_5166 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

and he was blinded in one eye

Maybe that's what also happened to this kid

t2 (resized).jpgt2 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

games you discover are not properly grounded, even after conducting dead (meaning fully unplugged) and live testing

I had a game that did this! I still to this day don't understand HOW, because even if I would turn it off, leave it plugged in for an hour, unplug it, leave it powered off for HOURS...that motherf. would still shock the bloody hell out of me. It got so bad that eventually I just started using a foot and a half long flathead screwdriver to ground one of the coil tabs. Think once was enough? HELL NO...that damn thing zapped me right on the cheek after being grounded out when I brushed near a coil tab working on the game. I eventually figured out that if I grounded it, waited 30 minutes, grounded it AGAIN...then, and only then, I was safe.

Still, I've never had stitches or a broken bone...from anything.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I had a game that did this! I still to this day don't understand HOW, because even if I would turn it off, leave it plugged in for an hour, unplug it, leave it powered off for HOURS...that motherf. would still shock the bloody hell out of me. It got so bad that eventually I just started using a foot and a half long flathead screwdriver to ground one of the coil tabs. Think once was enough? HELL NO...that damn thing zapped me right on the cheek after being grounded out when I brushed near a coil tab working on the game. I eventually figured out that if I grounded it, waited 30 minutes, grounded it AGAIN...then, and only then, I was safe.
    Still, I've never had stitches or a broken bone...from anything.

Caps retain power ... big caps retain a LOT of power!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blood-sweat-and-tears-for-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.