(Topic ID: 101310)

Blew up my Flipper board, now have vertical lines on my DMD.

By CadillacMusic

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Long story short, I have a machine that I tried to re-do the whole wiring harness on, and must have messed up seriously. The flippers weren't working, so I took another flipper board and put it in, and did some serious damage to it somehow. Now, whatever machine I put it in, vertical lines appear on the DMD, in a pattern like I II I II I II I II. Also, all the flippers lock on. I'd like to fix this board, even if it'll take way too much time/money to be practical, as a way of better understanding wpc flippers and data lines. The schematics booklet is not very helpful, because it has many places where a chip is marked u?, or lines just kind of vanish into thin air. So to start, can I assume the problem lies in u5 or u2, as only those chips make use of the data lines?

#2 9 years ago

What game, first of all?

Secondly, fixing vertical lines on the DMD can be tricky since those decoder ICs on the opposite side of the glass are surface mount, if that is what it is. Not impossible to repair, just a different approach (heat gun and you need to have just the right touch with this method as to not destroy or warp the PCB or overheat the epoxy seal, pry off, liquid flux, chisel tip soldering iron and quick pass across all legs of IC with minimal solder).

Third, you should be able to diagnose the faults on the flipper board on the bench. What board is it specifically so I can help?

#3 9 years ago

Sorry, WPC fliptronic II. Shoulda mentioned that. It was from a whitewater, stuck it in a shadow, blew it up, now it's living in a TZ. If I don't connect the ribbon cable to the board, the DMD is fine. I'm completely sure the problem lies in the fliptronic board, and no other board, as I can stick in another flipper board in the TZ and everything is fine.

#4 9 years ago

So it looks like you've isolated the problem. Were you interested in repairing this board yourself?

#5 9 years ago

There really isn't much on the fliptronics board it could be. Maybe U5. Possibly U7?

Quick/dirty test...

Put your DMM on diode test

clip the red lead to ground (J905-6 on this board, I believe)

Probe the pins of U5. Look for a value around .4 to .6. Ignore pins 10 and 20.

If any leads are outside that range, compare to another fliptronics board. May be normal.

I don't think it would be the LM339s, but the 74xx ICs could be the issue.

#6 9 years ago

Oh wow. Pins (on u5) 6,7, 9, 11 and 12 have readings like a tenth of what they should be. So that's a major sign that it's bad, I assume. Can you do that with all chips? What exactly am I doing measuring that? Thank you john, you're totally helping me understand this better.

#7 9 years ago

Compare it to another working board before you decide that. What is in the circuit with an IC can affect the reading - here's a little more information:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_an_integrated_circuit

#8 9 years ago

Cool. Thanks muchly.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blew-up-my-flipper-board-now-have-vertical-lines-on-my-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.