(Topic ID: 307643)

Blast off relay questions

By thephoneman

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone. I have a classic Williams blast off and have a few questions and I hope this is the right forum. I've been tweaking a few relays to get the have to function properly (most on the motor wheel) but I'm having issues with the bumpers switching when they are hit. If I manually trigger them I can eventually get them to switch, so I'm thinking dirty contact. Only issue is where to start looking. I'm not good at reading schematics especially finding the spot on the machine. To give more specifics, if you are looking at the 4 relays the top left and bottom right ones is where the issue is. The other 2 switch right away. Any help is appreciated.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from thephoneman:

I'm having issues with the bumpers switching when they are hit.

Do you mean the lights and values of the pop bumpers aren't changing?

I don't have a Blast Off schematic but there's an Apollo schematic on IPDB.org that might be similar. On Apollo the lights and values of the pop bumpers are determined by the Change relay. When the Change relay is active one set of pop bumpers is lit. When it is idle the other set of pop bumpers is lit.

The Change relay is driven by the Match unit; every other step of the Match unit will activate the Change relay. The Match Unit should advance every time 1 point is scored so every time 1 point is scored the pop bumpers should switch.

Have a look at the Match unit in the back box. It should step every time 1 point is scored. If you manually push in the Match unit solenoid plunger and let it go it should step forward cleanly to the next position.

It's possible that your Match unit is sluggish and not stepping reliably. That would make the Change relay and pop bumpers toggle less often. If that's the case it probably needs to be cleaned.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Do you mean the lights and values of the pop bumpers aren't changing?
I don't have a Blast Off schematic but there's an Apollo schematic on IPDB.org that might be similar. On Apollo the lights and values of the pop bumpers are determined by the Change relay. When the Change relay is active one set of pop bumpers is lit. When it is idle the other set of pop bumpers is lit.
The Change relay is driven by the Match unit; every other step of the Match unit will activate the Change relay. The Match Unit should advance every time 1 point is scored so every time 1 point is scored the pop bumpers should switch.
Have a look at the Match unit in the back box. It should step every time 1 point is scored. If you manually push in the Match unit solenoid plunger and let it go it should step forward cleanly to the next position.
It's possible that your Match unit is sluggish and not stepping reliably. That would make the Change relay and pop bumpers toggle less often. If that's the case it probably needs to be cleaned.
/Mark

Yeah I believe Apollo and blast off are the same internally. I'll check that out and see if I can find it and figure it out. Thanks!

#4 2 years ago

So I'm working the one point reel and it is changing the lights. But it seems like it really touchy. Just the slightest movement makes the change relay activate. I'll keep fiddling with it. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from thephoneman:

So I'm working the one point reel and it is changing the lights.

I don't understand. The score reel doesn't really have anything to do with the Match unit or the lights. It's the 1 point relay that advances the Match unit.

Or do you mean that you're manually advancing the Match unit? If that's the case the Change relay should not change unless the Match unit advances. If it does chances are that the wipers on the Match unit aren't making a good connection with the wiper board, probably because they're dirty.

#6 2 years ago

The board was very dirty. I took a brush to it and cleaned it right up. Now are those contacts on the wheel hub supposed to be "loose"? It seems to be working fine now. Still need to tinker with the relays on the score reel for the small ball relay as it's either taking a few tries to launch the ball or it sticks and fires the ball multiple times. Thanks again for the help with this issue. I really appreciate it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blast-off-relay-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.