(Topic ID: 292700)

Blades or not ? That’s the question and the poll!

By Nikrox2

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Blades or not ? That’s the question and the poll!”

• Leave blank 21 votes
      18%
    • Add “custom art” blades 59 votes
      50%
    • Add “mirror blades” 38 votes
      32%

(118 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I won’t talk about the latest pricing on toppers, if we're in a price bubble (forgive me CrazyLevi) or slam a particular manufacturer / game - just asking for others thoughts on blades?

Leave them black - presuming you got that particular version / model? Less hassles to deal with if you have to work under the play field for sure

Add “art blades”? Some really do match the game theme/art and add to the machine

Add “mirror blades”? These help add lighting and visual depth by reflection. Some do not like the added lights or reflection because of game play.

Thoughts or comments?

#2 2 years ago

Absolutely! Always!

#3 2 years ago

The pole is flawed. I like it both ways never without. Is what she said. Hehe

#4 2 years ago

Mirrored used to be the rage (add depth, but thick and difficult to install on some pins), but seems the art blades are taking over (many options, thinner, easy to scrape/scratch)

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

Add “mirror blades”? These help add lighting and visual depth by reflection. Some do not like the added lights or reflection because of game play.

Mirrored for sure. Anyone know the best place to get Rick & Morty mirror blades? Seems like maybe none have been or are being made?

#6 2 years ago

Yes, no, maybe...

#7 2 years ago

Mirror blades for sure, looks classy an adds heaps more light.

#8 2 years ago

I love art blades - but have never tried installing them myself because it looks and sounds intimidating...

#9 2 years ago

I dabbled in “Art” blades for a while with the graphics stickers. Unfortunately I had a couple peel off. It kind of shrunk after around a year on the first, and so I restuck it trying to stretch it out on the back half. Then a week later it did the same. So I left it for a few weeks bubbled up and fragile. Finally one day, I opened the game and peeled them out. They really came out without much fight. The other set just never really stuck well. I’m sure I could have fixed that by sanding a key into the sides of the game, but just no.

On the other hand, mirror blades go in and look awesome. Yes, they are a mild pain in the ass and you have to be more careful lifting and lowering playfields. But they are worth it. I like the look on most modern games. I think LOTR was the only game I didn’t like them in due to the lights on the right side.

So my vote is mirror or nothing.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I love art blades - but have never tried installing them myself because it looks and sounds intimidating...

It's pretty simple if you use Rapid TAC application fluid, as that allows you to reposition things if you're not happy with your first attempt at decal alignment. I've used it to apply decals with the playfields pulled out of the cabinets on my recently acquired Sterns, but have recently developed a method to install them with the playfields in the cabinet and in the upright position. The Rapid TAC makes that possible. I've installed a couple of sets dry when I first started putting them in, but that's much more nerve racking, so I don't think I'll be returning to that method.

Whether you go decals, mirror blades, or even if you want to keep you're black painted sidewalls looking nice. I'd suggest everyone buy (or make), something like these protectors which you use when lifting/lowering your playfield: https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#11 2 years ago

Official stern blades otherwise mirror blades

#12 2 years ago

I’m good with mirrored or art blades. In fact, I think they are an essential upgrade. I know it comes down to cost, as does everything, but I’ve never understood why they don’t come standard on a pin. Seems like such an easy thing to do, without them and the playfield looks a bit empty. Stern’s cost wouldn’t be much and even with a mark up wouldn’t add a lot to the cost of a pin.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

It's really not. First time might be a little trial and error but not to bad.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Official stern blades otherwise mirror blades

This

#15 2 years ago

Stern blades do seem indestructible, and of greater quality.

#16 2 years ago

Art blades for me. All of my games have them, with just black sides they look like they’re missing something and feel “empty”

#17 2 years ago

Art Blades for sure ! Using the wet method should never have a problem applying them. Get yourself some Game Blade Protectors from Pinball Life , so when lifting or dropping your playfield you won’t scratch or tear them. Have them on all my machines and they add so much more to the looks of your game

#18 2 years ago

In most cases I really don't like art blades. I think it makes the game artwork overall look too 'busy'.... I guess I'm just used to the black sides. Mirrors can look good in some games, but I don't really bother with them either.

#19 2 years ago

Mirror. I really don't pay attention to art blades when playing.

#20 2 years ago

Art blades. They look great, are easy to install, and can take a beating.

#21 2 years ago

Depends on the game.

#22 2 years ago

Why not have both - mirrored art blades (if they even exist). I prefer art blades, they add to the atmosphere of the game, increasing immersion, especially if back-lit.

#23 2 years ago

Art blades look better on 99% of the machines out there.

#24 2 years ago

I like both depending on the game. Also, some of the illuminated blades are really cool for certain titles.

#25 2 years ago

I really like the art over mirror blades on Funhouse. Thought about getting those once or twice but never pulled the trigger.

I added mirrors to my CV when i first got it, which i like. Recently added the official stern blades to Elvira and those were a piece of cake to install. For me it depends on the title and whether or not i think i’m keeping the game. Mostly i leave them bare as i don’t really notice them when i’m playing.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I like both depending on the game. Also, some of the illuminated blades are really cool for certain titles.

Neighbor is getting those for his MET. They look cool on the video. Haven’t seen or installed those personally. Can’t wait to see those!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Why not have both - mirrored art blades (if they even exist). I prefer art blades, they add to the atmosphere of the game, increasing immersion, especially if back-lit.

Metallica had some of these and they were incredible. I’ve seen some for TWD as well but they didn’t look as well.

I just bought some stern mirror blades, will see if they fit into my R&M.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blades-or-not-thats-the-question-and-the-poll?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.