Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dkroos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lr2nvdsL4y1r2hzh6o1_500.gif
    tumblr_lr2nnpHNMJ1r2hzh6o1_500.gif
    tumblr_lr2ntkibY21r2hzh6o1_500.gif
    3344_70762773900_157740_n.jpg
    eyes_138.gif
    BR_DC.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is one of my favorite stories of all time. My father gave me a first print signed by Dick himself. He got it the day before he shipped out to NAM. Treasured book in my collection.

That's awesome!

Blade Runner is one of my favorite films of all time. I've watched it a million times. Love the mood the film sets. Just perfect. Director's Cut version of course.

Vangelis music on a pin?! That would be interesting.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
    All those moments will be lost in time,
    like tears in rain.
    Time to die.

One of the great lines in a movie ever...and if I recall correctly, part of it was ad libbed by Rutger.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

ugg. I loved that movie since it came out, but when I watch the no naration director's cut, the enjoyment of that film was cut in half.

So you prefer the dumbed down version?

#33 11 years ago

I can't believe that nobody has asked the question in this thread yet:

Was Deckard a Replicant?

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To Scott he was, to the cast he wasn't.

I know that Scott has supposedly said that Deckard was a replicant. I really, *really* hate the fact that he said that. He should have left it up to the viewers to interpret it. This viewer thinks that the story actually loses a lot of it's significance if Deckard is a replicant.

I've gone back and forth on this one through the years. I watched it so much growing up with narration that it's hard to imagine it without it. Or should I say hard to imagine that I had never seen it first without narration.
    VO work is on the low end sure...but I own a DH so I'm used to it
    Plus you lose a lot of the Film Noir without the VO.

Well said, and I agree about it feeling less film noirish without the VO. Still.....Harrison's VO is so terrible, I can't stand watching the Theatrical version anymore.

He's perosnally claimed he didn't tank it, but he was so pissed off aboot it it just came of really crappy.

Not much difference really. If he was so pissed about having to do it that it came off in the VO, he basically tanked it.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

I think Deckard being a replicant as well only adds to the story. Little hints along the way; when Brion tells him he's little people and he takes the job reluctantly. When Gaff tells him on the roof "you've done a mans job!" When Deckard picks up the unicorn that Gaff left him as Rachael walks to the elevator, he realizes fully who he is.

Hints yes, but it *takes away* from the emotional aspects of the story and there are too many inconsistencies. Deckard is WEAK compared to every other replicant he meets. Why have the weakest replicant ever made be a Blade Runner? He is more emotional than replicants. Deckard is the main human character in the entire movie. Almost all of the other main characters are Replicant's. It would take away the human element, and there would be virtually no human element to the entire story.

Here is a list of reasons that I saw listed elsewhere as to why Deckard is not a Replicant:

1. Deckard expresses feelings throughout the film, including his distaste for ‘retiring replicants’, and shows emotion facially which none of the Nexus 6 replicants do; even the super-advanced model Rachel has difficulty expressing feelings (the Voigt Kampf test is used to detect the absence of emotional response in replicants)

2. Deckard was married – this is not an implanted memory like that of a replicant, but is stated as a fact by Deckard

3. Deckard is afraid of being one of the ‘little people’ – none of the replicants exhibit fear

4. Apart from their programmed aggression, the only emotions replicants appear to have developed centre around a desire to extend their lifespans

5. Deckard demonstrates complex reasoning and sustained emotional responses, unlike the replicants whose conversation is stilted and whose thought process are limited by their programming to task orientated behaviour

6. Only Roy and Pris appear to demonstrate any affection for each other and this is relatively shallow

7. All the replicants are aware of what they are, except for Rachel who very soon realises she is not human – Deckard’s humanity is entirely natural and is fundamental to his personality

8. Deckard’s dislike for Taffy and his club appears entirely genuine

9. The police chief has used Deckard’s services for many years, whereas Roy’s gang are Nexus 6 – the current highest spec commercial model, so Deckard could not have been made better at an earlier time

10. Deckard does not require or carry any photographs

11. Deckard does not have the physical strength or endurance shown by the replicants, e.g. he is easily defeated by Leon and would have been killed if he not rescued by Rachel, physically he is powerless against Pris even though she has only days to live, Roy has the strength and speed to stop Deckard from falling and haul him to safety at a time when he is unable to save himself

12. There is no suggestion that the other blade runner shot when testing Leon is a replicant

13. The unicorn dream sequence introduced in later versions was inserted only as an attempt to substantiate the idea that Deckard is a replicant

14. The origami unicorn Deckard finds outside his apartment stands perfectly well in the original version of the film as a symbol of fertility and good fortune – hence Deckard’s self-affirming expression at finding it, rather than alarm he would have expressed at being given a message to confirm that he was a replicant

15. If Deckard had any inkling that he might be a replicant, he would have checked to see if he had any records at the Tyrell Corp at the same time as he checked Rachel’s records – clearly he did not

16. Harrison Ford appears to be pretty well convinced that the character he played in the film was not a replicant

17. The movie is more coherent with Harrison Ford’s narration, cutting it is an attempt to rob him of his humanity and therefore inhibits the impact of the film

18. Rachel exhibits more human qualities than the other replicants because she is an experimental model. If Deckard was a replicant, he would be an earlier model even than the Nexus 6 and would have none of Rachel’s sophistication.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Maybe they can do a new VO. Would love for them to get the guy who did Beast on the X-men pin.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blade-runner-pinball?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.