art1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171010-121508 (resized).png
DuneMovie (resized).jpg
gosselin (resized).jpg
brokeback_mountain_ver3 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.31.11 PM (resized).png
IMG_1726 (resized).PNG
movie-blade-runner (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I wonder if this might be a problem. If you recall, the incredible Vangelis soundtrack was unavailable until 1994 due to some sort of disagreement. It took 22 years before the soundtrack was available to the retail public! (A couple of tracks made it to a 1989 Vangelis compilation.) I shudder to think what the licensing hurdles might be for the music.
I couldn't imagine a Blade Runner game without Vangelis.

Well, indie electronic musicians have spent decades imitating Vangelis, I can easily imagine a suitable replacement being produced. The PinOut soundtrack is a little more "space disco" than "space jazz" but it's pretty appropriate. Slap that on with some rain effects and a bunch of EL wire...

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Exactly! Ridley Scott racked up max points with Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator. But it has been a slide downhill with Prometheus and The Martian being recent efforts that were just horrible. I like to pretend it's not him, it's Hollywood pulling the strings now and telling him what to do. I don't think they give any director complete control to do whatever they want any more. Here's to hoping Alien: Covenant will bring it back.

Sadly that's pretty par for the course with all the great New Hollywood/American New Wave directors, who started out with punky movies and graduated to bland, glossy Hollywood magazine pictures. I'm sure a big part of that is modern Hollywood producing styles (production by committee). It's hard to gamble on a unique, weird idea when every movie has to be a blockbuster.

#28 7 years ago

Oh man, I forgot Denis Villenueve is directing this. His work on Arrival was spectacular, and he has an amazing visual eye. I hope the story is good, I loved the noir overtones of the original film, I think that crossing of genres is what made it so good and I'd hate for them to take a bland !punching! !action! direction.

10 months later
#81 6 years ago

I thought this was terrific. Huge shoutout to Roger Deakins, who's been giving us consistently amazing cinematography (that sequence with the statues was breathtaking), and the overall sound design was super - I loved the early city bit where there's this repetitive, massive sound that really drives home the sense of the city being a huge, overwhelming machine. I don't usually like Jared Leto but his herky-jerk robotic pseudo-messianic figure was weirdly fascinating, and the arc between K and JOI was really intriguing, and though I think "Her" did a better job of the same idea, the overlapping sex scene was so menacing and beguiling that it made the whole plot worth it.

On the whole, the original does a better job of providing a cohesive narrative, whereas this feels like a lot of great ideas glued together with excellent camerawork, but the ideas and mood are so overpowering that it works really well. Really pumped to see it again.

1 week later
#222 6 years ago

I use it! I didn't for Blade Runner, because I wanted to see it on the super-duper jumbo IMAX here, but it's already paid for itself with a couple others movies ("mother!", which I loved but would never recommend, and "Battle of the Sexes", which was nicely shot and well-acted but kinda bland). Still feels weird to buy my ticket with the card, it almost feels like stealing lmao

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blade-runner-2049?tu=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.